HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 5:28 AM

Don't worry everyone; i'm sure someone that constantly criticizes his own city MUST know SOMETHING to help it improve!!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 7:36 PM

For those of you interested in a little South Bay development, the long dormant site of Campus El Segundo is now under active construction. The project is being built in phases... the first piece which includes the soccer fields and new fire station are already completed. The next piece, which includes all the buildings west of the soccer fields are currently being consructed. The project is located between Nash, Douglas, Mariposa, and Maple. The total office square footage of the project is nearly 2 million sq ft.

http://campuselsegundo.com/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
The 2 cranes on site look like they doing perimeter shoring work. Not sure the name of that piece of equipment unfortunately, but it hammers steel plates down into the ground, and they then become the temporary outer wall for the space underground.
Thanks for the info. Steve2726.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
DTLA is ghetto dense.

onemetropolis - you didn't really miss out on much. DTLA isn't as interesting as it appears from aerials and skilled photography. especially if you've been to more urban cities. Here's my summary of downtown LA:

chinatown - forgettable asian swap-meet
olvera - mexican themed swap-meet where you can buy maracas and sombreros that are made in china
little tokyo - ok, maybe worth a look
bunker hill (where all the skyscrapers are) - brutal and sterile. just buy a postcard.
broadway - giant salvadoran swap-meet (albeit amidst beautiful old buildings)
south park - overly commercialzed LA Live clusterfuck - if you've been to downtown disney or any number of other soul-less "McDowntown" developments, you've seen them all. aka downtown disney with jumbotrons. espnzone, lawry's, lucky strike, etc. etc. blah blah.

the reason downtown la is uninteresting - until recently, it hasn't been a real functioning urban community. just vestiges of a distant urban past
Maybe give it time and it will come together as a whole...? Or something it's bound to get better right? But I get where your coming from.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Last edited by OneMetropolis; Nov 17, 2011 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
For those of you interested in a little South Bay development, the long dormant site of Campus El Segundo is now under active construction. The project is being built in phases... the first piece which includes the soccer fields and new fire station are already completed. The next piece, which includes all the buildings west of the soccer fields are currently being consructed. The project is located between Nash, Douglas, Mariposa, and Maple. The total office square footage of the project is nearly 2 million sq ft.

http://campuselsegundo.com/

This is the Thomas Properties project right?
Looking at the latest office report for the area, it shows the vacancy rate at almost 25%. Its to early for speculative building, even if its only a 300k square foot building. Do they have a tenant already signed?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 4:42 PM
BANNED

dachacon: you anticipated me. This sounds especially exciting if the developer believes there is demand for office space in that area.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 10:21 PM

Did some more research and it looks like it's a hotel being built... not sure if this was part of the original plan given the website made no mention of it.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_193424...ailybreeze.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 2:53 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
how do i undersell LA? it really does suck at urbanism.
Edluva? You a poopy -head, brutha.
When your friends drop in from points abroad, did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you are the one who sucks? Holding them hostage as you drive them around unaware of the city in which you reside? Selling their experience short as you do your own town?
Sure, your assumptions sound well thought out, with the area unable to assemble any critical urban mass and all ..... according to you!
Don't answer to this as I know I'm right - therefore I am.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:48 PM

From LA Curbed:

De-Densification Alert: Wilshire/Barrington Project Shrinks, Goes Rental, Breaks Ground

Thursday, November 17, 2011, by Neal Broverman

The Wilshire/Barrington project long-planned for the northeast corner of that intersection is finally moving forward, developer California Landmark announced today, though it will be a much smaller version of the original 28 story, 78 unit condo tower. The new mixed-use development, renamed the bw, will be a six story apartment building (the rendering looks taller because some of the units are multi-story)--it will still have 78 units, though obviously smaller than in the previous incarnation. The apartments will range in size from 700 to 1,300 square feet, with rents from $2,200 to $4,000.

Read the blurb by clicking here.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:17 PM

^^^ Great thanks for the update. Was wondering what was going on there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 3:31 AM

^ Yeah, pretty much no wonder it's now under-construction.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 3:34 AM

Quote:
DTLA is ghetto dense.

onemetropolis - you didn't really miss out on much. DTLA isn't as interesting as it appears from aerials and skilled photography. especially if you've been to more urban cities. Here's my summary of downtown LA:

chinatown - forgettable asian swap-meet
olvera - mexican themed swap-meet where you can buy maracas and sombreros that are made in china
little tokyo - ok, maybe worth a look
bunker hill (where all the skyscrapers are) - brutal and sterile. just buy a postcard.
broadway - giant salvadoran swap-meet (albeit amidst beautiful old buildings)
south park - overly commercialzed LA Live clusterfuck - if you've been to downtown disney or any number of other soul-less "McDowntown" developments, you've seen them all. aka downtown disney with jumbotrons. espnzone, lawry's, lucky strike, etc. etc. blah blah.

the reason downtown la is uninteresting - until recently, it hasn't been a real functioning urban community. just vestiges of a distant urban past
you're a whiny little racist punk, i bet if it was an Italian swapmeet you would be happy, all you ever do is come on this site and talk smack about LA, if you dont like it than leave.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 7:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Edluva? You a poopy -head, brutha.
When your friends drop in from points abroad, did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, you are the one who sucks? Holding them hostage as you drive them around unaware of the city in which you reside? Selling their experience short as you do your own town?
Sure, your assumptions sound well thought out, with the area unable to assemble any critical urban mass and all ..... according to you!
Don't answer to this as I know I'm right - therefore I am.
you're an example of the embarrassing side of LA i don't want my friends to see. ignorant and philistine (look it up)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 7:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
you're a whiny little racist punk, i bet if it was an Italian swapmeet you would be happy, all you ever do is come on this site and talk smack about LA, if you dont like it than leave.
how am i racist? explain. i bet i can debunk you in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 7:44 AM
BANNED

double post

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 9:58 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
how am i racist? explain. i bet i can debunk you in a heartbeat.
It's true. Edluva may be many things, but racist he isn't.

He hates everyone equally

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
BANNED

^the more positive corollary to that is that i love everyone equally

and i prefer to be positive

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:20 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Some good news to report! The proposed hotel at Cahuenga/Selma has been resurrected from the dead. The plan is to commence construction in the spring and open in fall 2013. More at link:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...ng_a_dream.php

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 2:40 AM
Ascension

Quote:
you're an example of the embarrassing side of LA i don't want my friends to see. ignorant and philistine (look it up)
Howling with laughter.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 5:31 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Some good news to report! The proposed hotel at Cahuenga/Selma has been resurrected from the dead. The plan is to commence construction in the spring and open in fall 2013. More at link:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...ng_a_dream.php

I really love this project. It's dense, attractive, and goes out of its way to be pedestrian friendly. It converts an alley into a pedestrian walkway for Peets sake! This building takes pride in its community, and wants to give back to it. I like that. Plus, since it is being built on top of an existing parking structure, there is no gain in parking spaces. It's a perfect development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations