HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:59 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Shaping the Future of Austin’s Greatest Park With the Zilker Vision Plan

https://austin.towers.net/shaping-th...r-vision-plan/

More than a century after Andrew Jackson Zilker donated more than 350 acres of land to the City of Austin to create what would eventually become the city’s favorite metropolitan park, we find ourselves in an
Will never understand why there is a four lane road cutting through it...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:07 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Shaping the Future of Austin’s Greatest Park With the Zilker Vision Plan

https://austin.towers.net/shaping-th...r-vision-plan/

More than a century after Andrew Jackson Zilker donated more than 350 acres of land to the City of Austin to create what would eventually become the city’s favorite metropolitan park, we find ourselves in an
Central Park has multiple important East/West roads that run through it and they dug down and burried those roads so that pedestrians never interact with it.

They need to fix this as its honestly dangerous and making large swaths of the parkspace undesirable to use.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:37 PM

While the subject is on Zilker Park related infrastructure, I'd like to see a bridge over Lady Bird Lake that connects the Lamar Beach area to Zilker Park. Preferably a Y like bridge that would also connect the east and west sides of Barton Creek (the current pedestrian bridge over Barton Creek is too narrow).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 10:23 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I thought a rendering for this was already posted somewhere on here. But some info for the Texas Bankers Association building proposed for a site across the street from the Governor's Mansion were posted for AULCC.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../200924/PLANS/
Tower crane plan for 203 West 10th - this is the Banker's Association redevelopment.
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...er%20Crane.pdf

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 3:29 PM

That’s a funny way to deal with the CVC. You wonder what the value of that slice of a single floor is. Mechanical maybe. I wonder why they didn’t push that non CVC portion higher.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:17 PM

After a very slow week, permit activity picked up today - largely due to water main repairs.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:37 PM
Resident Moron

I wonder if this event will have any impact to our growth at all in the short term. I wonder if Samsung may look elsewhere for their new plant or if this will be viewed as a once a generation issue

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I wonder if this event will have any impact to our growth at all in the short term. I wonder if Samsung may look elsewhere for their new plant or if this will be viewed as a once a generation issue
I doubt it will have much impact on growth short or long term. Abbott is saying the right thing (because he now has to) by calling for regulation to require winterization of the power grid. This should provide enough comfort to Samsung and any other companies looking to move/expand here.

This whole thing doesn't help with the Samsung deal, obviously, but I doubt it has much effect beyond giving Samsung an issue it can use for leverage in the deal negotiations. They are smart enough to know what a rare event this was, but they will surely want assurances and try to use it to their advantage. With as much sustained power their new plant would require, Austin Energy stipulations were probably going to be a part of the deal already. There may be even more stipulations due to this though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 7:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

We will see whether this is as rare as people think it may be. I have studied climatology for 20 years and I foresee more frequent extreme weather both hot and cold. I'm not saying what we experienced will be something that occurs every few years but it will be more than 20-40-60+ year events. more like every decade which by the way has been 10 years exactly since the last severe cold stretch that caused power outages in the state. Which the state government was warned after that event occurred to winterize the power infrastructure and they did not... Oh and prepare for a devastating wildfire year for Texas. There's a massive amount of dead flora across the state as a result of this winter storm. All that is not going anywhere. Will still be just as dead and dried out come summer regardless of how much rain we get in spring.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 7:53 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^I don't disagree.

As I watch this from afar...Another terrible thing coming down much sooner than climate change. I'm speaking of your gas, water and electric bills. None of those industries chose to spend a few million in winterizing their infrastructures. Heck, why would they? If there is less supply when demand peaks - prices go up...WAY UP. They'll reap in tens (maybe hundreds) of millions in net profits. There was no punitive incentive to winterize.

They should all be accountable (and punished) and NOT force the innocent citizens to carry the load of their shear ignorance and greed! They have already suffered too much. This includes my family and friends in SA and in Austin.

May God bless you all.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 8:58 PM

yawn. maybe we get back to project updates in this thread?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 9:11 PM

Couldn't tell you if this one had a thread or not. 2020 Nueces is what the webcam says although the tower's name easily could've changed. Looks pretty interesting for a WC project.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
We will see whether this is as rare as people think it may be. I have studied climatology for 20 years and I foresee more frequent extreme weather both hot and cold. I'm not saying what we experienced will be something that occurs every few years but it will be more than 20-40-60+ year events. more like every decade which by the way has been 10 years exactly since the last severe cold stretch that caused power outages in the state. Which the state government was warned after that event occurred to winterize the power infrastructure and they did not... Oh and prepare for a devastating wildfire year for Texas. There's a massive amount of dead flora across the state as a result of this winter storm. All that is not going anywhere. Will still be just as dead and dried out come summer regardless of how much rain we get in spring.
Oh wow, was the 2011 freeze the reason for the wildfires later that year? Do you think we might have another extremely dry/hot summer like that year too?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 12:01 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Oh wow, was the 2011 freeze the reason for the wildfires later that year? Do you think we might have another extremely dry/hot summer like that year too?
No. The cold spell of 2011 was not the reason for the unprecedented number of wildfires throughout the state that year. It was the culmination of a years-long drought plus high winds during that time.

The last time Austin saw this type of cold - for that length of time - was in 1983, I believe. Austin was at or under 32° for 140 consecutive hours (an all-time record for Camp Mabry). I believe this past event stretched the record out to 164 hours. We recorded 184 consecutive hours at or below freezing at my house (which is in the hills, outside of any concrete heating affect of most urban areas).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
No. The cold spell of 2011 was not the reason for the unprecedented number of wildfires throughout the state that year. It was the culmination of a years-long drought plus high winds during that time.

The last time Austin saw this type of cold - for that length of time - was in 1983, I believe. Austin was at or under 32° for 140 consecutive hours (an all-time record for Camp Mabry). I believe this past event stretched the record out to 164 hours. We recorded 184 consecutive hours at or below freezing at my house (which is in the hills, outside of any concrete heating affect of most urban areas).
The cold event of 2011 did contribute to the fires yes it most certainly did sir... Yes the drought caused by a La Niña also helped in setting up the fire, but you can not take out the addition of that winter cold snap in contribution to what happened later that year. Its called cause and effect and you can have multiple causes in what effect occurs. In 2015 we again saw wildfires in what was an extremely wet year, however wet it was during the first quarter, we then had 3 months of bone dry weather drying out a ton of plant growth which had occurred prior to the flash drought. So again different factors but can still lead to the same effect.

Now here we are, Another La Niña, this one could be multi year, hopefully not, but at this time that's what it looks like. You have a winter storm event which has killed off a massive amount of flora, so the ingredients are set for what could be a really bad wildfire year... Again I've been studying this for 20 years, I know what the hell I'm talking about thank you very much..

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Now here we are, Another La Niña, this one could be multi year, hopefully not, but at this time that's what it looks like. You have a winter storm event which has killed off a massive amount of flora, so the ingredients are set for what could be a really bad wildfire year... Again I've been studying this for 20 years, I know what the hell I'm talking about thank you very much..
I was thinking this exact thing yesterday. Landscaping everywhere is freezer burnt to a crisp and I'd imagine the natural areas look similar. Once we get to the dry season, there's going to be a tinderbox of fuel just ready to go.

I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:21 PM
Meh

For the most part, native plants will be ok, but some won't. It's the invasive non-domestic species that kicked the bucket with the freeze and are now dead and crinkly. One tree that we cut down a few years back after learning that they're toxic to dogs was ligustrum - or the wax leaf tree. It's a Chinese species of tree, and while it's a very nice tree - great for shade, it doesn't handle ice very well as the branches are thin and flexible. The branches aren't prone to breaking which is good, but these trees typically grow along fence lines and power lines as the wildlife "plants" their seeds. So the branches will become weighed down and sit on the power lines. I saw a lot of them doing that in the neighborhood. Those trees now appear to be dying.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 10:20 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
The cold event of 2011 did contribute to the fires yes it most certainly did sir... Yes the drought caused by a La Niña also helped in setting up the fire, but you can not take out the addition of that winter cold snap in contribution to what happened later that year. Its called cause and effect and you can have multiple causes in what effect occurs. In 2015 we again saw wildfires in what was an extremely wet year, however wet it was during the first quarter, we then had 3 months of bone dry weather drying out a ton of plant growth which had occurred prior to the flash drought. So again different factors but can still lead to the same effect.

The damage began during the summer of 2010 when Texas received a ton of rain. That, in turn, fed fauna (namely grasses). Those grasses became kindle at the first frost of that winter (which occurred in 3Q2010). But it was the unprecedented drought, not the minuscule, two-day cold snap of February 2011, which was the primary/main cause of the wildfire outbreak of 2011. The drought didn’t simply “help” – as you put it.

Texas State Climatologist, John Nielsen-Gammon, stated that the 12-month period from October 2010 through September 2011 was the driest 12-month period in Texas history - and this only "helped"? Again, it was the catalyst. And, add in winds, low humidity, plus human stupidity (in most wildfire cases) you get disaster.

According to Scott Fisher, Meterorologist with Fox 7 News-Austin, the following was reported with regard to this major blast of cold air...

"February 2 - 4, 2011: A powerful arctic outbreak brought intense cold to the region with high temperatures dropping nearly 40° from Feb.1 to Feb. 2. Coldest temp observed: 17° on Feb. 2. This cold snap, though very intense, wasn’t particularly long with only 2 days below freezing. Daily highs for the outbreak: 2/2: 26°; 2/3: 28°; 2/4: 41°"

I believe Scott would agree to alter some of his word after this past week. So, two days of temps below freezing (and lowest temp being 17°) caused the worst wildfire season in Texas recorded history? That is not near long enough to kill-off the amount of fauna you assumed. And, those types of cold snaps happen quite frequently. Having said that, why was there not a historic wildfire outbreak in 1983 - when Austin recorded 140 consecutive hours of below freezing temps (the previous record of consecutive hours at or below 32°)?

Additionally, the following report, produced by the Texas A&M Forest Service, seems to neither specifically identify said "cold snap" nor label it as one of the causes of the myriad of fires throughout the state.

https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/uploadedFile...0Wildfires.pdf

The 2011 Texas Wildfire Outbreak began prior to the subject cold snap. In fact, in February - there where almost 3,000 fires which burned almost 500,000 acres. Texas A&M Forest Service was already mobilizing for a significant fire season in mid-February.

As a victim of one of these fires, I take this subject to heart! I really don't give a flip if you have been "studying this for 20 years." I'm fairly confident that you have neither a masters nor undergraduate degree in meteorology or climatology. The cold snap of February 2-4, 2011 was not a cause of any wildfire in 2011.

**Hey, wanna get back to talking about "Project Updates"? I do. 2011 is one of those years I'd like to forget.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:32 PM

So, anything happening development-wise? Seems like we should move this to misc thread

Also... so sorry to hear about that, Goldenboot. I'd like to forget that shit year as well!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:31 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The damage began during the summer of 2010 when Texas received a ton of rain. That, in turn, fed fauna (namely grasses). Those grasses became kindle at the first frost of that winter (which occurred in 3Q2010). But it was the unprecedented drought, not the minuscule, two-day cold snap of February 2011, which was the primary/main cause of the wildfire outbreak of 2011. The drought didn’t simply “help” – as you put it.

Texas State Climatologist, John Nielsen-Gammon, stated that the 12-month period from October 2010 through September 2011 was the driest 12-month period in Texas history - and this only "helped"? Again, it was the catalyst. And, add in winds, low humidity, plus human stupidity (in most wildfire cases) you get disaster.

According to Scott Fisher, Meterorologist with Fox 7 News-Austin, the following was reported with regard to this major blast of cold air...

"February 2 - 4, 2011: A powerful arctic outbreak brought intense cold to the region with high temperatures dropping nearly 40° from Feb.1 to Feb. 2. Coldest temp observed: 17° on Feb. 2. This cold snap, though very intense, wasn’t particularly long with only 2 days below freezing. Daily highs for the outbreak: 2/2: 26°; 2/3: 28°; 2/4: 41°"

I believe Scott would agree to alter some of his word after this past week. So, two days of temps below freezing (and lowest temp being 17°) caused the worst wildfire season in Texas recorded history? That is not near long enough to kill-off the amount of fauna you assumed. And, those types of cold snaps happen quite frequently. Having said that, why was there not a historic wildfire outbreak in 1983 - when Austin recorded 140 consecutive hours of below freezing temps (the previous record of consecutive hours at or below 32°)?

Additionally, the following report, produced by the Texas A&M Forest Service, seems to neither specifically identify said "cold snap" nor label it as one of the causes of the myriad of fires throughout the state.

https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/uploadedFile...0Wildfires.pdf

The 2011 Texas Wildfire Outbreak began prior to the subject cold snap. In fact, in February - there where almost 3,000 fires which burned almost 500,000 acres. Texas A&M Forest Service was already mobilizing for a significant fire season in mid-February.

As a victim of one of these fires, I take this subject to heart! I really don't give a flip if you have been "studying this for 20 years." I'm fairly confident that you have neither a masters nor undergraduate degree in meteorology or climatology. The cold snap of February 2-4, 2011 was not a cause of any wildfire in 2011.

**Hey, wanna get back to talking about "Project Updates"? I do. 2011 is one of those years I'd like to forget.

Actually no I want to say one last thing.. If you want to move this over to misc then go right ahead. You can throw me sources which I know quite well, but I will disagree with you on this point. Any time you have a cold snap, even a short but severe cold snap, there is some plant die off, consider that stress from the drought aided in killing off flora that otherwise wouldn't have been affected. Cold dries flora out, even temps in the 40s or 50s over long periods with little to no rainfall dry flora out. Cold air tends to not hold a lot of moisture as it is. I do not agree that the cold snap had no additional impact on what was already a worsening situation and while it was not as long lasting, on a state wide basis, it only exacerbated the problem. Now I don't need to explain anything regarding my education in this field, unless you would do the honors of pulling your degree or degrees out. If not then we will leave it at disagreement. Sorry you lost your home that year but to this point I will be firm on.

Now we may return to the regular scheduled programming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin