HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:19 PM

There is some fantastic scenery to be seen in the backroads/ATV trails of Albert county. I looped up and through one at lunch today and it was challenging but a lot of fun.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I know that there is some sort of plan to have a bridge from outhouse point to downtown Moncton. What will the widening of the river after the causeway bridge opens do to the potential viability of this bridge? Are there any projections on how wide the river will be at the bend?
A pedestrian/active transportation bridge across the Petitcodiac from Hall's Creek to Outhouse Point would be fantastic, but I am unaware of any actual plans to build one. There is a ROW on the Riverview side for an eventual highway connection, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
A pedestrian/active transportation bridge across the Petitcodiac from Hall's Creek to Outhouse Point would be fantastic, but I am unaware of any actual plans to build one. There is a ROW on the Riverview side for an eventual highway connection, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.
I believe on both the Moncton & Riverview future active transportation maps, they indicate one. I doubt there is any level of priority to building such a structure.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:48 PM

I didn't realize that "technically" the Northwest Trail could take you from Vaughn Harvey all the way to Charles Lutes Rd.

I wish that on Google Maps that it (the trail system) was more clearly indicated so that you could get an overview of it for the whole city vs having to zoom in practically on top of a couple of streets to even see it on the map.

I wish the Rabbit Brook trail (which is near my house)...didn't just stop dead at Carson. I'm hoping it someday get's connected to the Mapleton trail system, and not by utilizing Mapleton Rd as traffic is ridiculous there, and that Mapleton gets connected to the Northwest Trail either across the TCH or at Charles Lutes.

Would be amazing if we could get the Northwest Trail and the Mapleton trails to reach out to the Zoo/Magic Mountain/Concert site as an alternative to driving to those locations as well and not be 'on road' connections.

So many possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:14 PM

You can use the Cycling view in Google Maps to get a good map of the trail system. Beyond that I recommend OpenStreetMap's Bicycling view.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
You can use the Cycling view in Google Maps to get a good map of the trail system. Beyond that I recommend OpenStreetMap's Bicycling view.
True...I forgot about that option.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 12:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton plans to start Panacadie Trail this year with new boardwalk
City has budgeted $1.1 million for first phase of route linking riverfront with Mapleton Park
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Feb 16, 2021 7:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...rail-1.5911862

Quote:
Moncton plans to begin a seven kilometre addition to its city trail network this year that would link the riverfront with Mapleton Park.

The Panacadie Trail would roughly follow Halls Creek northwest to the park.

The city has budgeted to spend up to $1.1 million this year to start the first phase of the trail, including 220 metres of wooden boardwalk near Halls Creek, though set back from the tidal waterway.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:19 PM

I am fully supportive of any expansion of public trails in the Greater Moncton Area.

I would hazard a guess that public opinion on this type of spending has only gotten stronger since the covid19 pandemic. Mapleton Park, Irishtown Park, Mill Creek Park etc are all still packed on the weekends with people of all ages getting exercise and exploring the outdoors.

These types of projects pay dividends on peoples quality of life and mental health.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 3:28 PM

Wow , I'm so pump about this! The reason why we moved to Dieppe was because of the existing trails that goes across the city this would be a major attractiveness to the city I think.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Want to have input in the future of active transportation in the city of Moncton?

Here's a link to a survey on Let's Chat Moncton regarding what is needed in the next phase of the city's active transportation plan, which is currently being updated:
https://letschatmoncton.ca/active-tr...kt5gYalcltZHAo

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Want to have input in the future of active transportation in the city of Moncton?

Here's a link to a survey on Let's Chat Moncton regarding what is needed in the next phase of the city's active transportation plan, which is currently being updated:
https://letschatmoncton.ca/active-tr...kt5gYalcltZHAo
I actually took the survey and added comments.

My main concern was the traffic circle on killiam drive . Walking across it is death defying , almost got hit there multiple time .

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Speeding cyclists warned to slow down on Moncton trail
New sign on Riverfront Trail flashes speed if cyclist is travelling faster than 15 km/h
Kate Letterick · CBC News · Posted: Jun 07, 2021 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ails-1.6053919

CBC photo

Interesting to see a speed limit sign for bicycles.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Speeding cyclists warned to slow down on Moncton trail
New sign on Riverfront Trail flashes speed if cyclist is travelling faster than 15 km/h
Kate Letterick · CBC News · Posted: Jun 07, 2021 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ails-1.6053919

CBC photo

Interesting to see a speed limit sign for bicycles.
I'm glad it mentions the bell use too. Too many times I or other people I know have been walking on the riverfront trail, only to be buzzed by a cyclist going too fast, not using their bell, and getting way too close. Just like cyclists want a reasonable gap between them and cars, walkers want a gap between them and bicycles.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 8:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There was something on CBC Radio today about local cyclists in Moncton being displeased with the new Petitcodiac River Bridge.

Even though things will be considerably better than before, with a broad sidewalk, separated from road traffic via a concrete barrier, the lobbyists are upset that they will have the share this sidewalk with pedestrians. Apparently, they think they deserved their own dedicated bicycle lane(s).

According to the spokesperson, they feel that pedestrians can be just as unpredictable, inconsiderate and vicious to the innocent cyclists as the evil motorists are, and would rather not interact with the pedestrians on the sidewalk, despite the fact that the sidewalk is seven feet wide.

There isn't anything on CBC.ca about this yet, but it may show up within the next day or so.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 10:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
According to the spokesperson, they feel that pedestrians can be just as unpredictable, inconsiderate and vicious to the innocent cyclists as the evil motorists are, and would rather not interact with the pedestrians on the sidewalk, despite the fact that the sidewalk is seven feet wide.
And they'd be right. Designing a roadway like this shifts the danger from the cyclist onto the pedestrian. Cycling on sidewalks is incredibly unpredictable because people walking will do unpredictable things. There's surely enough space to accommodate all forms of active transportation in a safe and effective manner, and if not then it's a fault in the planning of the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 10:23 PM

Speaking as a daily cycle commuter (and sometimes cycling adventurist), I generally prefer streets over mixed-use paths (depending on circumstances) as cars are more predictable. Stakes are a bit higher for me, I realize.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 11:02 PM

It depends on the speed of the car traffic. On stroads, I'd be on the sidewalk because vehicles are going too damn fast for me to feel safe. On slower speed streets, I have no problem sharing with cars. And on regular roads, while traffic might be faster, I still feel safer because the shoulders tend to be more bikeable in general.

For that bridge, I'd probably stay on the sidewalk because I wouldn't feel safe biking on the road surface. I know for Westmoreland Bridge here in Freddy, I bike on the sidewalk. Trying to bike on the road surface feels like a death sentence, or a death wish at least.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 11:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

My opinion is that given the location of the new bridge, and the fact that it does not connect anywhere close to the downtown of Moncton, that the number of pedestrians using the bridge will be quite low, and that cyclists shouldn’t have to worry too much about unpleasant pedestrian interactions on the wide pedestrian walkway on the bridge

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
There was something on CBC Radio today about local cyclists in Moncton being displeased with the new Petitcodiac River Bridge.

Even though things will be considerably better than before, with a broad sidewalk, separated from road traffic via a concrete barrier, the lobbyists are upset that they will have the share this sidewalk with pedestrians. Apparently, they think they deserved their own dedicated bicycle lane(s).

There isn't anything on CBC.ca about this yet, but it may show up within the next day or so.
OMFG, seriously? I'm a cyclist and I have ZERO issues with sharing trails all over Moncton and ALL OVER NEW BRUNSWICK. I avoid riding my bike 100% of the time on the roads with cars. When I get close to a pedestrian on a trail, I slow down a bit, give respect, ring my bell when needed, then I move on with my life.

These cry babies of bikers can just go to....[insert your favorite nasty word here]. Like seriously, what do these people do on all of the other shares trails in this planet? Give me a break! In the voice of Chef Gordon Ramsey, "F-Off!"

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 10:26 AM

...and this is why I generally ride on the street. I'm too fast for foot traffic (that won't stay right) and I'm too slow for cars (I'm @ 30kph on the street, generally) but I do what I can to stay visible out there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces