HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 4:10 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The city is erring on the side of caution re: Red Hill Valley Parkway speed limits, given the slippery-pavement-testing fiasco and the crashes that have been blamed on it (for which the city may have to pay damages; I believe there are lawsuits in play but I'm not sure of their status). Personally I've never thought there was an issue -- when it's wet, drive more carefully.

As with the Linc/403 interchange, which took several years post-Linc-opening to rebuild from the original cloverleaf that was designed for Mohawk Rd., the RHVP/QEW ramps are the province's responsibility. I agree the Toronto-bound ramp should be two lanes all the way to the merge.

With the Centennial Parkway and RHVP and Tesla/Burlington St. interchanges so close to each other this stretch begs for a couple of collector lanes. But it's tight, especially with the wetlands and creek right there, plus VersaCold and the water treatment facilities and other stuff.
What is slippery pavement? Does it ice easily?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What is slippery pavement? Does it ice easily?
There was a 2013 consultant report that the pavement originally used tested low in terms of its friction, which was apparently buried by a past city engineer and never seen by anyone until it came to light with the hiring of a new director of engineering. The city also blames the province for not sharing what it knew about the pavement. Follow-up testing did show the friction to be adequate, but the road was repaved last year, a project that was bumped up.

There's a judicial inquiry that is currently ongoing, and a lawsuit over fatal crashes that the victims' families blame on poor pavement.

These CBC stories have more details:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...hill-1.5547698
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...ants-1.5406392
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...kway-1.5065126

The highway was originally paved with a mix that was supposed to be stronger and longer-lasting.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:08 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

BREAKING NEWS:
Insiders have it that Highway 427 Extension will be opened on November 30!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:06 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

By the way, has anyone here been to Bancroft recently? What’s good there for food (takeout only for me though)?
I’m passing by next week.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:51 PM

Bancroft has a Dixie Lee. Dixie Lee is an old time fast food restaurant that used to be way more popular than it is in southern Ontario.

Honestly, it's not the best food you'll ever eat, but if you are looking to eat something different, it's not a terrible option.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Bancroft has a Dixie Lee. Dixie Lee is an old time fast food restaurant that used to be way more popular than it is in southern Ontario.

Honestly, it's not the best food you'll ever eat, but if you are looking to eat something different, it's not a terrible option.
Thanks. Yea, it caught my attention while I was looking at the map of Bancroft too.
I was actually surprised to see that it’s got other locations too, even one in Toronto near the 401. Unsurprisingly, though, the rest is in small towns like Penetanguishene.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 9:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 62 looking south from Petro-Canada in Bancroft

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:37 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:45 PM

I wonder if there are any plans to extend the 402 further East and eventually getting to Niagara. That section of Lake Erie is void of any easy freeway access and such a road would connect such communities, offer a fast commuter route to London, and relieve traffic stress on the very busy 401 section between Woodstock and London.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I wonder if there are any plans to extend the 402 further East and eventually getting to Niagara. That section of Lake Erie is void of any easy freeway access and such a road would connect such communities, offer a fast commuter route to London, and relieve traffic stress on the very busy 401 section between Woodstock and London.
Doubt that would be something on any radar screen. Other than the guy on the Ontario Roads facebook group who did up an interesting plan for it anyway. I drive between London and Woodstock at least 4 times each way a day, sometimes 6. I don't see the highway being that busy that an entire new freeway would be needed to divert the relatively small number of Niagara bound travelers, or the others that are going to the various communities in the highway 3 corridor. The 401 would be widened well before that.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Aside from a ring road around London, I don't see them ever putting another freeway in that area. It is full of prime farmland. Other than widening the 401 in that section, nothing more would seem palatable.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:28 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Doubt that would be something on any radar screen. Other than the guy on the Ontario Roads facebook group who did up an interesting plan for it anyway. I drive between London and Woodstock at least 4 times each way a day, sometimes 6. I don't see the highway being that busy that an entire new freeway would be needed to divert the relatively small number of Niagara bound travelers, or the others that are going to the various communities in the highway 3 corridor. The 401 would be widened well before that.
@ssiguys’ in that group too??

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
@ssiguys’ in that group too??
I have no idea

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:41 PM
User Registered

Quote:
I drive between London and Woodstock at least 4 times each way a day, sometimes 6.
Holy crap - hope you have a fuel efficient vehicle lol

Why so many trips? Inventory delivery?

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
If such a highway were to be built it would be solely for Economic development along the north shore of Lake Erie.

Ontario had planned to encourage growth down there in the 1970's and 1980's, even going as far to plan a new city the size of Guelph in Haldimand County next to Jarvis (Google "Townsend"). The town only got to 2,000 people before growth petered off. It's the same reason the US Steel plant, oil refinery, and coal plant got built in Nanticoke - an effort to drive growth. Nothing ever came of it though.

The local official plans still show the planned route of what was to be a freeway upgrade of Highway 6 to feed traffic to the area. I believe there was a similar plan for Highway 3 but that's harder to find. Parts of both managed to get built - the Caledonia Bypass, St. Thomas Expressway, and Tilsonburg Bypass.

Just not going to happen today, especially given the failures of the past. It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity however. Lots of space down there and it's well positioned for shipping.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:22 PM

I remember Townsend. I lived in Dunville in the 70's ( as a very very very young kid lol), and I remember stories on the local news of this new city being built nearby. Being a pre-teen it sounded awesome, a whole new city just springing up in the middle of nowhere. Pretty impressive looking main drag coming in from the south (was just looking at Google Earth), and it doesn't even have a stop light or a Tim Hortons lol

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
If such a highway were to be built it would be solely for Economic development along the north shore of Lake Erie.

Ontario had planned to encourage growth down there in the 1970's and 1980's, even going as far to plan a new city the size of Guelph in Haldimand County next to Jarvis (Google "Townsend"). The town only got to 2,000 people before growth petered off. It's the same reason the US Steel plant, oil refinery, and coal plant got built in Nanticoke - an effort to drive growth. Nothing ever came of it though.

The local official plans still show the planned route of what was to be a freeway upgrade of Highway 6 to feed traffic to the area. I believe there was a similar plan for Highway 3 but that's harder to find. Parts of both managed to get built - the Caledonia Bypass, St. Thomas Expressway, and Tilsonburg Bypass.

Just not going to happen today, especially given the failures of the past. It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity however. Lots of space down there and it's well positioned for shipping.
The City of Nanticoke Official Plan still shows a proposed re-alignment of Highway 6 that follows the railway that serves the Imperial Oil Refinery from Hagersville.

The MTO never designated that routing, but Townsend died a pretty quick death following the oil crisis, so it's not surprising there would be stillborn transportation proposals.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:02 AM

Pretty sure the Haldimand OP still shows realignments of highway 3 too around Dunnville.

Highway 6 isn’t going to ever really be upgraded past Caledonia at this point.

If you check property data maps you can actually see lots that were registered in Townsend but never had the houses or roads built. And of course the large 4 lane road through the town that is clearly completely unnecessary. There is a ton of serviced vacant industrial land in Nanticoke too - Port Dover is talking about tapping into the sewage plant there since it’s about 90% underutilized right now.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Dec 12, 2020 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:19 AM

The Hwy 3 alignment appears on the Haldimand County Plan as well. The inclusion of Hwy 75 is a neat little oddity:

https://www.haldimandcounty.ca/wp-co...ule-F-2019.pdf

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Holy crap - hope you have a fuel efficient vehicle lol

Why so many trips? Inventory delivery?
Something like that. The office is in Woodstock and I live in west London, so one round trip is getting to and from work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario