HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 1:43 PM
Urbane observer

Yes, sometimes just turning the light on causes the cockroaches to scatter. Lucas fled town rather than let the judge see the lease agreement.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 2:27 PM

Hopefully this happens and quickly. That park is pretty dumpy and really needs a shot in the arm.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 3:12 PM
Urbane observer

Does it, really? In what way? Have you actually walked through this part of Jackson Park recently? Wooded Island and the surrounding lagoon have been completely reconstructed in the last five years, and birds and birders flock there in spring and fall. The current athletic field is well-used. This area of the park is very popular with picnickers and African-American family gatherings.

If the recreational needs of Jackson Park need to be reassessed or improved, why not do that through the Jackson Park Framework Plan rather than announce three big projects (presidential center, new super golf course, Yoko Ono artwork) that don't have anything to do with each other and then try to juggle things like Cornell Drive around so they fit?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:42 PM

Golf Course aside... why not do it they way they are doing it by eliminating Cornell, bringing in a new art installation, and a new institution that will have international attraction that will only bring MORE visitors and MORE green space to the park?....

I guess change and progress are hard for you?

Oh, and I have walked through the park recently and enjoyed both the Wooded Island and the Yoko Ono installation...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^You seem determined to see this through the lens of the 20th century's expansion of the Commerce Clause when it's an entirely different question. It's not a matter of whether something is properly done by the states or by the feds; Illinois Central stands for the proposition that there are some things that even the sovereign may not do.

Illinois Central is settled law, relied on by decades of important environmental decisions. The only thing that could change that would be a constitutional amendment or a Supreme Court decision reversing Illinois Central.
It is simply your opinion that this case is binding. But if the facts and circumstances favored the governments position as completely reasonable and just downright good for the public at large, the court would almost surely carve out an exception. As you said yourself, the common law is messy, and that's because the essence of the common law is change. A court case from 1892 is obviously going to have some serious problems when applied to modern life and there's nothing to stop a thoughtful Court from revisiting its assumptions or interpreting it more narrowly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 10:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^You seem determined to see this through the lens of the 20th century's expansion of the Commerce Clause when it's an entirely different question. It's not a matter of whether something is properly done by the states or by the feds; Illinois Central stands for the proposition that there are some things that even the sovereign may not do.

Illinois Central is settled law, relied on by decades of important environmental decisions. The only thing that could change that would be a constitutional amendment or a Supreme Court decision reversing Illinois Central.
The "sovereign"? You mean the Queen?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The "sovereign"? You mean the Queen?
It's a legal/political term for whatever the dominant power in society is and it's loaded with some really fascinating questions about where power originates.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
It's a legal/political term for whatever the dominant power in society is and it's loaded with some really fascinating questions about where power originates.
I'm quite sure TUP knows the definition quite well. His was a tongue and cheek response. [1]

I'll help you out now

​ [1]
meant to be understood as a joke, although it might appear to be serious:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I'm quite sure TUP knows the definition quite well. His was a tongue and cheek response. [1]

I'll help you out now

​ [1]
meant to be understood as a joke, although it might appear to be serious:
Are you drunk again? you always hit the return key too many times when you’re in a blackout

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Yeah! Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:09 PM

Yeah, if I went around calling myself emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd call me mad!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:34 PM

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but does anyone know who the GC is on this project? Thanks in advance!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:15 PM

^It is a venture led by Turner Construction

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:48 PM

^^^ Heres their website for the project--

https://www.lakesidealliance.com/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 2:26 PM

The losing proposals were released:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...019-story.html

Really like the Diller Scofidio + Renfro plan...

At the same time, glad we didn't get the Adjaye design in Washington park

Gangs design dosent do much for me either. Too overbearing

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:10 PM

Hmmm, considering the proposals, I think we got the best one

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:39 PM
1st Ward

Wow, the DS+R plan looks pretty cool. I would not have been disappointed if that one was the finalist.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 4:34 PM
TL;DR

^ While I was hoping to see the prize go to an American designer over Adjaye, now that I see his plan it makes a lot of sense. It is partly a rehash of the NMAAHC in Washington, but it would have tread lightly on the landscape of Washington Park, linked directly to CTA and thus enabled easy access for visitors and outreach programs, and it could have kickstarted high-quality mixed use development on the many acres of vacant land west of King Drive.

I still like Williams/Tsien’s proposal and IMO it is the strongest one in a pure architecture sense, especially with the various rounds of changes that buried more of the center’s program underground ala the Adjaye plan. But the Jackson Park site reflects an old idea about museums (and other institutions) that they should be shining beacons on a hill like the Greek Acropolis, cordoned off from the rest of the city. I don’t think that idea fits the reality of the Obama Foundation or the reality of Barack Obama, the man.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development