HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 2:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I mean, I guess, but until it was demolished, the existing block was already occupied by a full block of retail. Probably more storefronts than the new building will have, actually.
The net gain from this development is dubious, but it nevertheless has a pretty nice scale and massing. It also has some larger storefronts (I think it will have a bigger Lululemon store and probably some other stuff). It looks a lot more substantial than the old buildings, like something from a bigger city.

The consistency of medium density development in the South End looks pretty impressive in this aerial too. There's not much surface parking left aside from the southern stretch of Lower Water Street.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:43 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Whatever happened to the developer who owns the RBC and old Bank of Montreal Towers downtown? He rebuilt the TD Tower and was going to redo these other towers, but I believe he was not happy with the goings on/agreements with Nova Centre and now nothing has been heard of this....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 12:28 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Look at all the space taken up by the Cogswell interchange. Can't wait to see the same picture in 10 years. Also the density around SGR is looking great, especially with the Doyle.
Unfortunately all I see when I look at that photo is the giant bright red box.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The net gain from this development is dubious, but it nevertheless has a pretty nice scale and massing. It also has some larger storefronts (I think it will have a bigger Lululemon store and probably some other stuff). It looks a lot more substantial than the old buildings, like something from a bigger city.

The consistency of medium density development in the South End looks pretty impressive in this aerial too. There's not much surface parking left aside from the southern stretch of Lower Water Street.
For sure, it's a fine building. I don't think that it will connect SGR to Barrington anymore than it was five years ago, though. Also feels like we lost more than we gained with it, since a variation on it could have been built in any of numerous locations nearby, without heritage impacts, or with at lesser impacts, and it would have sidewalk-scaled retail to the neighbourhood, rather than the net gain of zero from this.

As for substantial-ness, I dunno--the old BMO building was a pretty hefty number, and it anchored that corner in a way that should have been considered a neighbourhood landmark. Oh well...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
For sure, it's a fine building. I don't think that it will connect SGR to Barrington anymore than it was five years ago, though. Also feels like we lost more than we gained with it, since a variation on it could have been built in any of numerous locations nearby, without heritage impacts, or with at lesser impacts, and it would have sidewalk-scaled retail to the neighbourhood, rather than the net gain of zero from this.

As for substantial-ness, I dunno--the old BMO building was a pretty hefty number, and it anchored that corner in a way that should have been considered a neighbourhood landmark. Oh well...
My impression as well.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:08 PM

I did like the old BMO building but the tenant add-ons such as Rogue's Roost wrecked the look. The quaint coffee shop in the basement and the Fire Side were nice but I found Doyle St to be scary like a dangerous back alley with that pool hall and whatever else was back there.

I am hoping with new retail, buried wires and wide sidewalks it will be pleasant to walk around.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
I did like the old BMO building but the tenant add-ons such as Rogue's Roost wrecked the look. The quaint coffee shop in the basement and the Fire Side were nice but I found Doyle St to be scary like a dangerous back alley with that pool hall and whatever else was back there.

I am hoping with new retail, buried wires and wide sidewalks it will be pleasant to walk around.
Certainly the backside of that entire block was pretty awful so the new development has to be an improvement.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 3:42 PM

This was scary?

https://goo.gl/maps/qohV4ziSqkN2

I regularly walked Doyle Street and went into the shops on the opposite side of the street. Went into the pool hall to check it out once, but found it was members-only, so turned around and left. Never went to Tom's Little Havana, but I've heard good things about it.

That side of the BMO building wasn't well laid-out for street level retail, and the Canada Trust bldg and the brick bldg on the corner weren't really built to be welcoming on that side of the block either... but I never found it to be scary... at all.

Went to the Fireside quite a bit when it was along Brunswick, and actually liked the ambiance there. The new location doesn't quite have the character of the old one.

All the above shortcomings could have been rectified in the new project while retaining the art deco elements of the original building if there had been some interest by the developer, but perhaps then the precast cladding for the rest of the structure would have clashed with the higher-quality Wallace sandstone on the old building...

Doesn't matter now... what's done is done.

Also, FWIW, the Doyle St. side of the renderings don't look like they will be much more pleasant to walk around, as the sidewalks look quite narrow and shaded, and there will be at least one driveway where you will have to watch for cars coming in or out. Maybe it'll be better in person, though.

http://www.westwoodgroup.ca/wp-conte...esentation.pdf

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Apr 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM. Reason: Added a link to Westwood's promotional pdf on the Doyle.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Hfx View Post
The Doyle, with it's retail, will be a big step forward in connecting Spring Garden Road and Grafton-Argyle-Barrington pedestrian traffic.
There was plenty of retail on that block before... so, more like will replace what was demolished.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:14 PM

Dartmouth Cove skyline.

20180415_181458 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:15 PM

North End skyline

20180415_174838 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:38 PM

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 10:23 PM

Taken this weekend:

Source: Vision Air Services (facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/VisionAirSe...type=3&theater

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:34 PM
hi

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:03 PM

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 9:34 PM

Some pics I took while testing out my zoom lens

[IMG]LarryU@Night by Caleb Babin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]South End by Caleb Babin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]North End & Clayton Park by Caleb Babin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]HFX from Dartmouth by Caleb Babin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Larry Uteck, Tufts Cove & Bridge all in one shot by Caleb Babin, sur Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Acadie_1755; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Had trouble linking photos

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 10:33 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:41 AM

Halifax's skyline is starting to flat-top. This beautiful city needs a few talls to break up that
straight line form.

What do you think?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos