HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Well, they already have a LRT ready corridor available right to Barrhaven Town Centre. But that brings us back to old plans that they tossed in the garbage along with $100M.
But one of the reasons that route was scrapped was that it would take the average person in Barrhaven 10 minutes longer than the current transitway route, since you would be traveling south to go downtown. The only way they would get Barrhaven residents to use that LRT route would be to cancel the express buses and re-route the locals avoid Fallowfield station (which I wouldn't put past OC Transpo).

I suspect the real reason that route was chosen was so that Chiarelli could use public transit money to pay for the Vimy Memorial Bridge. Either that or he was bought out by the Riverside South lobbyists. Or most likely both.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
But one of the reasons that route was scrapped was that it would take the average person in Barrhaven 10 minutes longer than the current transitway route, since you would be traveling south to go downtown. The only way they would get Barrhaven residents to use that LRT route would be to cancel the express buses and re-route the locals avoid Fallowfield station (which I wouldn't put past OC Transpo).

I suspect the real reason that route was chosen was so that Chiarelli could use public transit money to pay for the Vimy Memorial Bridge. Either that or he was bought out by the Riverside South lobbyists. Or most likely both.
You're assuming everyone wants to go downtown. The old N-S corridor would improve travel times from Barrhaven to other non-downtown locations, such as Carleton and Confederation Heights (which would likely remove a significant amount of traffic from the Hunt Club bridge).

Of course travel times are better from some parts of Barrhaven to downtown via the existing corridor. It was never the goal to replace it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
You're assuming everyone wants to go downtown. The old N-S corridor would improve travel times from Barrhaven to other non-downtown locations, such as Carleton and Confederation Heights (which would likely remove a significant amount of traffic from the Hunt Club bridge).
True, but I suspect a significantly larger percentage of traffic from Barrhaven are going downtown than are going to Carleton and Confederation Heights combined. If those destinations were more desirable, OC Transpo would be running frequent bus service to them from Barrhaven.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:52 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Time to eliminate half those stations so you can take that hourly bus to the closest station. We need to minimize walk-ins.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:01 AM

It appears that in that draft map, the existing Terry Fox station is planned to be eliminated and two new stations built in its place, one a little further west at Terry Fox Drive and another a little further east at Kanata Av. This would be a nice nudge for TOD growth in Kanata's "centre".

The alignment and station layout looks a lot better than the Orleans link for one key reason: once it reaches Terry Fox, it diverges from the highway and actually goes through the middle of the development area.

Perhaps this will be the first non-grade separated part of the LRT network? It certainly looks like that last leg is running on Huntmar.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:05 AM

One thing that disappoints me though: now that LRT is officially "planned", the city will probably decide not to build the Transitway between Eagleson and Terry Fox. This is unfortunate, because that Transitway could have been finished by as early as 2018-2019 as it had an EA complete, funding allocated, and was very cheap (about $10M-$20M, if I recall correctly), and it would be a huge improvement to travel times over the current use of Katimivik & Campeau.

Now, this Transitway, which would have offered a quick and cheap improvement to Kanata transit in the very near term, will be cancelled in favour of an LRT that's at least 10-15 years away.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:40 PM

What is all the construction alongside the Queensway from Bayshore (Holly Acres westbound on-ramp) to Moodie? It certainly looks like they're getting ready to build something...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:01 PM

Found this on the City of Ottawa website:

http://ottawa.ca/en/major-projects/c...e-commencement

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...ice-april-2016

Given the level of construction alongside the Queensway being conducted by Karson, I'd say the City is definitely going ahead with the Transitway extension.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
One thing that disappoints me though: now that LRT is officially "planned", the city will probably decide not to build the Transitway between Eagleson and Terry Fox. This is unfortunate, because that Transitway could have been finished by as early as 2018-2019 as it had an EA complete, funding allocated, and was very cheap (about $10M-$20M, if I recall correctly), and it would be a huge improvement to travel times over the current use of Katimivik & Campeau.

Now, this Transitway, which would have offered a quick and cheap improvement to Kanata transit in the very near term, will be cancelled in favour of an LRT that's at least 10-15 years away.
Agreed, the Eagleson-Terry Fox Transitway would have a high value for money.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Having those 2 stations so close together at the Western end & in a N/S axis doesn't seem to make sense.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
Having those 2 stations so close together at the Western end & in a N/S axis doesn't seem to make sense.
Tanger Outlet mall & CTC.
3rd last though, in the middle of nowhere - not sure about that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:22 PM

Considering the massive amounts of develop able land in Kanata around the CTC having two stations in the area makes sense in my mind. Utilizing some of the advantages of the LRT mode and having non grade separated route cutting through these areas is smart. The whole CTC / Palladium autopark area can become a TOD core area of Kanata in the long run.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Future development area. Even if funding was found as soon as the EA was done, the earliest this could open is around 2025, and by then there will probably be something there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Found this on the City of Ottawa website:

http://ottawa.ca/en/major-projects/c...e-commencement

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...ice-april-2016

Given the level of construction alongside the Queensway being conducted by Karson, I'd say the City is definitely going ahead with the Transitway extension.
That's the Bayshore to Moodie Transitway which is supposed to be completed for next year.

I'm talking about the Transitway on the north side of the Queensway from Eagleson to Terry Fox.. which was going to be built by 2020 (it was funded in the 2013 TMP) but is now probably cancelled given the LRT EA.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:26 PM

It's nice to see a ridiculous number of stations out towards the western terminus of the line. Also nice to see the city going out of their way to leave the median of the Queensway to improve connectivity and service for Kanata residents. Darn. That's some nice quality service for those fortunate people.

Meanwhile, all those people in eastern Gloucester and Jasmine Park especially (people who actually might use public transit because they're less well-to-do) get to watch as the Confederation Line blows right past their already high-density and fully developed neighbourhoods so that Orleans commuters only have to endure one stop for the 7.5km stretch between Jeanne D'Arc and Blair.

Yup. Seems like a fair and equitable distribution of resources to me.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Time to eliminate half those stations so you can take that hourly bus to the closest station. We need to minimize walk-ins.
And look at that amazing proposed 4-km stretch of track between Eagleson and Moodie that will not generate one plug nickel of revenue.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

$10-$20-million here and there to build, then scrap, a "rapid transit" system in a decade or so...

No thanks. Not as long as absolutely nothing is being done for transit users inside the core. And that's what's happening: nothing. Well, except for our property taxes being used to subsidize the continuing existence of the far-flung suburbs.

When is it going to be the turn of inside-the-Greenbelt communities to get real improvements to transit? Which century?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
That's not "close" in my books.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the new "Kanata Commons" is (as shown here) or is the station further west? Hard to tell on that little map with big circles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation