HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
and the current plan has retained many of the original ideas.
But not the most awesome. If I recall they had plans to actually have a Amsterdam-style "canal street" a couple years ago.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floam View Post
But not the most awesome. If I recall they had plans to actually have a Amsterdam-style "canal street" a couple years ago.
I also remember the idea of relocating Lincoln High School over to that neighborhood. Lincoln was overstuffed when I was there in the late '90s and I'm sure it is even more crowded now, and it would have been nice to see it get a new building & location.

But that's all in the past-- it's nice to know that the moonscape of parking lots down there will be filled in.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floam View Post
some renderings. it would have been nice.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 2:37 AM

Adams has the Lincoln High campus in his proposed Education URA, CUclimber. Presumably it could have the money to assist the school with a move to another location to open up the acres of land it sits on.

I'm disappointed that the canal isn't going to be developed. I thought I remember reading that the canal was the uncovering of Tanner Springs(?) or some creek/river that currently runs in pipes under the ground there. Maybe not, but it still was an awesome feature!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:50 PM

Lincoln High School is not moving. That was a rumor started years ago and has never had any traction with the mayors office, with PPS, or with Lincoln and its parents but for some reason keeps on getting repeated.

A more likely scenario for Lincoln HS is that the "campus" will be redeveloped when the money allows so that there's a new building -- perhaps a six-story urban high school along the West side of the campus -- the field moved East, and the current building knocked down and the site redeveloped for work-force housing, PSU space, etc. (see "Concept E" on page 24 of their 2008 Visioning Report).

Another cool idea would be to cap a portion of 405 adjacent to the HS in a fashion similar to that planned for the Vancouver Community Connector as part of the Columbia River Crossing Project.

But as PPS owns the site, the decision rest with them on whether to sell it.

Last edited by Rhome; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:40 PM

^Nope not a rumor...Of course this discussion was taking place during a much different economy.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140903

Bottom line, those 11 acres will be redeveloped one way or another in the future, even if the high school stays.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:46 PM

That 2007 meeting between Sten and the developers DID take place, and that Oregonian article did create a firestorm of controversy, but to extrapolate from that meeting that Lincoln HS was going to move is just wrong. No one seriously considered it, and that was the rumor I was addressing. This is just like saying that because the U.S. military has a plan for invading Canada, that its going to happen. It's contingency only.

That being said, it is likely that something will happen on the Lincoln grounds. But whether that is in 5 years or 50 will come down to the economy. I and many other people would like to see it happen sooner rather than later. The Lincoln building is probably in the worst shape of any other HS in Portland, and studies have shown that learning is improved by environment. But while it won't be pretty, they can probably keep that school as is with bandaids and chewing gum for a while longer yet.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:28 PM

Do you know what studies have shown that facilities make learning happen more effectively? Like many (most?) things that seem intuitively correct, that one may be incorrect.

I just got finished with a book called "The Talent Code" that argued the opposite. Here is an excerpt:

http://thetalentcode.com/2011/02/09/...of-crumminess/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:49 PM

Kipp schools use inexpensive buildings, modular buildings, pre-engineered metal buildings etc. Their performance is off the charts. 80% of their underprivileged students go to college.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneshoelaces View Post
Do you know what studies have shown that facilities make learning happen more effectively? Like many (most?) things that seem intuitively correct, that one may be incorrect.

I just got finished with a book called "The Talent Code" that argued the opposite. Here is an excerpt:

http://thetalentcode.com/2011/02/09/...of-crumminess/
One good study I have read on the topic is here:

http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=2908

There are many of these. I would suggest that the reason that some 'tough environments' produce wonders would be the efforts of remarkable staff and students themselves. If that were not the case, we would all be fighting to send our kids to the worst schools.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
One good study I have read on the topic is here:

http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=2908

There are many of these. I would suggest that the reason that some 'tough environments' produce wonders would be the efforts of remarkable staff and students themselves. If that were not the case, we would all be fighting to send our kids to the worst schools.
This is probably not worth a big discussion here but that study was done and underwritten by people who make their livings building and remodeling buildings (like many of us here). Maybe we should read some studies that show global warming is a hoax written by big oil companies.

My point was that the millions of dollars spent on facilities could be spent on remarkable staff and programs to more effect. People don't fight to send their kids to the worst schools but might fight to send their kids to old buildings with great teachers and programs.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhome View Post
The Lincoln building is probably in the worst shape of any other HS in Portland, and studies have shown that learning is improved by environment.
Last I'll say on this topic. Didn't mean to set off a firestorm of political controversy with the above quote.

Top teachers are absolutely the best thing a kid can have to improve learning (involved parents probably being a close second). But if you talk to teachers and administrators, they will tell you that you LOSE good teachers by sticking them in an environment that is not conducive to learning. Lincoln teachers have complained about the conditions, and some are threatening to leave for greener pastures. Pay is only one attractor for a good teacher. I would suspect that environment, peer respect, and the belief that you are having a positive influence on your students are others. Hard to keep a good teacher happy when, because of the medieval HVAC system, they're wearing a coat in the basement and bermuda shorts on the top floors.

Now back to a discussion of all things skyscrapery. I'll post visuals of the planned project on SW 20th and Jefferson in Goose Hollow as soon as I receive them.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:39 PM

A street-side rendering of the Con-way Commons in Northwest Portland show buildings as tall as eight stories. (Rendering courtesy of GBD Architects)

Ideas tossed around for redevelopment of Northwest Portland Con-way site
POSTED: Thursday, February 2, 2012 at 04:35 PM PT
BY: Lee Fehrenbacher, Daily Journal of Commerce

A few issues remain to be ironed out at the Con-way development site in Northwest Portland.

On Wednesday evening, Con-way Vice President of Corporate Development J. Craig Boretz joined GBD Architects principal Phil Beyl, Mill Creek Residential Trust Vice President of Development Sam Rodriguez and Northwest District Association President Ron Walters at the Lucky Lab Beer Hall in Northwest Portland to present an update of their efforts to develop a master plan for the project. The event drew approximately 90 people.

“Probably the biggest open issue is in the location of open spaces – i.e., parks,” Beyl said in an interview before the presentation.

Beyl said Con-way donated approximately 23 percent of the total land area to Portland Parks and Recreation for use as open space. GBD’s preference, Beyl said, is for two distinct spaces: a vibrant urban plaza and a smaller, traditional green space with playground equipment. But Portland Parks and Recreation’s preference is for one large area, he said.

Overall, the 17-acre site is slated to include 1,100 to 1,500 residential units, 368,000 square feet of office space and 144,000 square feet of retail space – approximately 1.9 million square feet of new development using a proposed 3-to-1 floor-area-ratio.

“But the caveat to that is our master plan is completely focused on being responsive to the marketplace,” Beyl said. “So we’re not locking ourselves into providing specifically any of those numbers. But everything we’re doing – from traffic analysis, from a massing standpoint, how we address parking – we’re using those numbers as our expected target.”

Beyl did propose a building height of 87 feet, which translates into a 17-foot-tall ground floor to accentuate retail spaces, and seven 10-foot floors stacked on top.

Rodriguez, however, said that if an eight-story minimum were required for the neighborhood, Mill Creek’s development plans would become less certain.

Mill Creek is building a 179-unit market-rate apartment complex called Savier Flats at 2244 N.W. Savier St. Rodriguez said the firm would like to build housing on the nearby Con-way site, but feasibility will depend on terms of the master plan.

“If they make me do eight stories, I won’t be able to buy land from them,” he said.

It’s a question of the economics, Rodriguez said. Mill Creek can build everything up to six stories with wood, or a combination of wood and concrete. But everything taller than six stories must be built with concrete, and that is expensive, he said.

“Trying to do eight-story buildings is a bad idea,” Rodriguez said. “You’re using a very expensive building type to do the minimal density you can do for that building type. If you’re going to do concrete construction, high-rise doesn’t even work today unless – you need to do at least 22 stories.”

It was unclear at the meeting Wednesday whether eight stories would be a minimum or maximum building height.

The team has decided to place all parking underground. Beyl said that will allow the team to meet its density goals and enhance the neighborhood’s character.

“It’s simply the right place to put it if we’re going to try and maintain all of the ground-floor space to be active and vibrant and pedestrian-oriented,” he said.

One parking question that remains is how Con-way will meet the needs of its 750 employees, because the company is planning to repurpose its existing parking land for development. Beyl said the company will need approximately 800 parking spaces and that a kind of shared-use plan between employees and residents is being considered.

Plans for a neighborhood grocery store also are still on the table, and Boretz said officials are working with a local developer to attract a client to a vacant warehouse on the site. Beyl said that effort will require amendments to the Northwest District Association’s district plan, which limits retail spaces to 20,000 square feet.

“There happens to be one project in play, one developer in play, that is fairly confident they can attract a neighborhood grocer to a certain site, and we want to make accommodations for that because groceries are usually larger than 20,000 square feet,” Beyl said.

At the end of the presentation, several questions were issued by attendees. Josh Lehr, an associate broker for HFO Investment Real Estate, asked about the level of housing diversity planned.

“I think affordable housing is a key ingredient to a thriving neighborhood,” Lehr said after the meeting. “I think it’s always important to have a different set of levels between high income, middle income and then service or low income.”

Boretz said that while the team is considering a range of affordable to market-rate housing options, it is tough to make that pencil out in the current economy. Beyl said it becomes especially difficult because no urban renewal money will be available.

“That may come back someday, but not within the time we have for this land-use application, that’s for sure,” Beyl said.

He said the team is planning to seek a second design review from the city in early spring.

http://djcoregon.com/news/2012/02/02...-con-way-site/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 4:31 PM

Slabtown (formerly Conway) Developments

http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl..._way_town.html

Quote:
But Con-way, the freight giant who owns the parking lots and warehouses here, has lucrative plans to sell 17 acres, parcel by parcel, for housing, shopping and nightlife—the biggest such development near downtown since the South Waterfront—all within walking distance of the freight giant’s offices for its 750 Portland employees.
I thought someone would have already posted this article by now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
Another lot in the Con-way site (or immediately next to) just put in a pre-application the other day.
http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...47126&a=385260
Looks like they have submitted this for permit now.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:49 PM

There is another big Conway property development proposal, including the much discussed grocery store, set to go before the design commission on August 18th:

EA 12-156491 DA – New Mixed-Use Development at Block 296 of the Conway Master Plan
Kara Fioravanti, BDS, 503-823-5892
APPLICANT: Tom DiChiara – CE John
ADDRESS: 1717 NW 21st Ave
The proposed project will contain approximately 185 apartment units with underground parking, and approximately 15,000 sf of ground floor retail space composed in two 6-story buildings. The project also includes the adaptive re-use of an existing 1950s-era warehouse for a 30,000sf grocery store, with
associated surface, covered, and underground parking. A 40’ wide pedestrian plaza will bifurcate the 92,000 sf site. (Note: The Conway Master Plan land use review is currently pending, LU 12-135162 MS.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 6:15 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Found the Conway development plan:

http://www.northwestdistrictassociat...ok-CURRENT.pdf /?cat=47[/url]
Developers are sure in love with the 5 over 1 design style, however, a little variation in the massing process would create a less intimidating and bulking housing form. I am pro-densification, but just because the building format worked in the pearl, it doesn't mean that it would be desirable to have that strew through every neighborhood.

For instance, I would consider breaking up the blocks to make adequate sized parcels for smaller finer grain development, with some of the large blocks created to offer a super block (with building articulation of course) development by a larger developer. That said, I am a very big fan of the modifications to the intersections to the NW of the site. 23rd and the freeway have had a constant conflict, and this modification could alleviate traffic congestion at the north end of 23rd.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:53 AM

Artist's rendering of Con-Way development

Major Northwest Portland development plan gains city approval
Published: Monday, August 27, 2012, 10:22 AM Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012, 1:15 PM
By James Mayer, The Oregonian

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...and_devel.html

Quote:
The city gave a green light Monday to development of 18 acres in Northwest Portland that will feature stores, open space and 2,500 residences.

Following a public hearing, Hearings Officer Ken Helm said he would approve the Con-Way master plan.

That approval will be final. Because no one opposed the plan at the hearing, no one has standing to appeal to the City Council.

The plan represents more than a year of negotiations among Con-Way, the city, and the Northwest District Association. Con-Way plans to sell the property to developers. Most of the property between Northwest 18th and 22nd avenues and Pettygrove and Upshur streets is covered in parking lots now.

The plan includes rebuilding the intersection at Northwest 23rd Avenue and Vaughn Street, open space including a park and plaza, and a grocery store.

-- James Mayer

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:53 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland