HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 5:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

"Complete Streets"

Implementation of ‘complete streets’ policy a matter of steady baby steps, panel of councillors say

By Shaamini Yogaretnam, Ottawa Citizen March 29, 2014

OTTAWA — The idea of a “complete street,” designed to benefit all users from autos to bikes to walkers, is part of the Transportation Master Plan (TMP) approved by the city last year, but it needs to be more than just policy and put into wider practice, says a city councillor.

“If you look at the Transportation Master Plan, you will see there is this great policy discussion on complete streets and then there are six pages of road-widenings, 12 roads per page, so 70 roads to be widened from two to four and four to six (lanes) and we have this nice pleasant policy discussion on complete streets,” Coun. Diane Holmes said Saturday.

“It’s a big improvement and we are getting somewhere,” she said, but there is still work to be done to make more streets more things for all variety of road-users in Ottawa, thus making it a complete street.

Complete streets — from design to use — consider everyone who uses them and all possible methods of transportation.

Holmes was one of five councillors speaking on a panel organized by Ecology Ottawa, a not-for-profit group that is trying to make Ottawa a greener nation’s capital.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson said the city is “putting huge amounts (of money) into transit right now.” But, she said, transit is just one part of the idea of a complete street.

“We have to have a better balance, I think.”

The idea of that balance was incorporated into the TMP, which was passed unanimously by city council, said Coun. Keith Egli, but though there was support for the plan, the importance of a complete-street attitude isn’t something all councillors share.

“There are some out there that may not be as gung-ho as others. It was unanimous and all city council, all 23 of us and the mayor, fully supported putting that into the Transportation Master Plan. I think part of the issue is, and Coun. Wilkinson hit on it a little bit, a complete street in Kanata is not a complete street in Centretown or in Barrhaven or in Orléans,” Egli said. “It’s going to be different for every community. It’s going to be different for every ward.”

While all city road construction projects that require sewage and water overhaul will have to consider what can be done to make the street more complete, there are financial challenges because the city won’t and can’t pay for it all, and structural ones, because there are rules about what can be done and where, said Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury.

Coun. David Chernushenko spearheaded the proposal for the city’s first complete street. By the time it’s complete sometime in 2016, Main Street will have had traffic lanes removed in parts, sidewalks widened and bike lanes added.

Chernushenko said the vote on the Main Street overhaul, which took place in July 2013, could have been seen as a referendum on the whole policy. If it failed, it would have been thought that council were not ready to support the idea anywhere.

“We needed suburban and rural votes (on council). This could not be a downtown-versus-the-rest scenario,” he said.

The vote passed but still, some of those in the audience at the panel questioned how the transportation divide in urban and suburban wards could be changed.

“How do we convince those councillors, or all of Ottawa, to make that link, so it’s not just theory, it’s practice,” an audience member asked,

“It’s baby steps, and that’s why Main Street was so important,” Egli said.

“Once it’s in place and it’s working, I think we’re going to see a lot more acceptance.”

syogaretnam@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/shaaminiwhy

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Im...701/story.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:05 AM
National Capital Region

Moved this to Transportation...

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...e-april-8-2015
Open House - April 8, 2015
Wednesday, April 8
Jean Pigott Place, City Hall
110 Laurier Avenue West
5 to 8 p.m., Presentation at 6:30 p.m.
Transit routes 5, 6, 14 and Transitway Routes

The City of Ottawa invites you to an Open House to learn more about Complete Streets and the plan for implementation within our city.

Complete Streets integrate physical elements creating an environment of safety, comfort and mobility for all users of the street regardless of age, ability or mode of transportation. In the November 2013 Transportation Master Plan (TMP) update, recommendations were included to support the development of Complete Streets.

The Implementation Framework will recommend a process for transportation projects:

That ensures a Complete Streets approach
That is sensitive to the unique aspects of specific areas
That identifies road users and their various modes of transportation
Accessibility is an important consideration for the City of Ottawa. If you require special accommodation, please call 3-1-1 or e-mail the project lead below before the event.

For further information about this project and/or to submit comments, please contact:

Colin Simpson, MCIP RPP
Senior Project Manager
Transportation Planning Branch
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1J1
613.580.2424 ext. 27881
E-mail: colin.simpson@ottawa.ca

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:41 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:33 PM

[QUOTE=rocketphish;6518651
The idea of a “complete street,” designed to benefit all users from autos to bikes to walkers, is part of the Transportation Master Plan (TMP) approved by the city last year, but it needs to be more than just policy and put into wider practice, says a city councillor.[/QUOTE]

They did not bother with that when rebuilding the Vanier/Riverside bridge over the 417 highway with no proper sidewalk.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
They did not bother with that when rebuilding the Vanier/Riverside bridge over the 417 highway with no proper sidewalk.
It doesn't have a sidewalk? That's a big surprise, I would have thought it would.

The new Lees overpass does... and it's a pretty wide shoulder separating it from traffic too, it's actually quite comfortable walking on it.

In any case, that's the MTO (province) not the city. I believe the MTO's policy is to build sidewalks on bridges when the roads approaching have sidewalks as well, unless the city specifically requests sidewalks in which case they have to pay for it but MTO will do it.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
It doesn't have a sidewalk? That's a big surprise, I would have thought it would.

The new Lees overpass does... and it's a pretty wide shoulder separating it from traffic too, it's actually quite comfortable walking on it.

In any case, that's the MTO (province) not the city. I believe the MTO's policy is to build sidewalks on bridges when the roads approaching have sidewalks as well, unless the city specifically requests sidewalks in which case they have to pay for it but MTO will do it.
That MTO policy is dumb. All overpasses should have sidewalks. Otherwise you end up in a situation like we have with the Huntmar overpass. The surrounding area has urbanized but sidewalks cannot be installed on the bridge because there is not enough room. Installing sidewalks on all overpasses would future-proof them against future growth.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
That MTO policy is dumb. All overpasses should have sidewalks. Otherwise you end up in a situation like we have with the Huntmar overpass. The surrounding area has urbanized but sidewalks cannot be installed on the bridge because there is not enough room. Installing sidewalks on all overpasses would future-proof them against future growth.
I don't really blame them, because if they built sidewalks at all overpasses.. well you'd end with sidewalks on overpasses in rural areas where there's literally zero pedestrian traffic.

That said, all overpasses within areas that are urban or potentially urbanized within 20-30 years should at least have future proofing for sidewalks.

The MTO is slowly institutionally changing to be more ped/bike friendly but it's an uphill battle. I know people who worked there, it's got a very strong "established-way-of-doing-things" mentality. When Glen Murray (big time urban advocate & pro-cyclist who biked to Queen's Park) was the minister during Wynne's minority term, there was serious signs of changes for the better.. but that's largely all evaporated with Stephen Del Duca.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Happened to be walking over that bridge a few days ago.

Not sure what you mean, there's a full width sidewalk.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 11:45 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Complete streets' plan for all road users wins near-complete praise

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 7, 2015 | Last Updated: October 7, 2015 7:21 PM EDT

People who walk, cycle or take public transit will no longer be left out of the formula traffic engineers use to design and reconstruct Ottawa’s roads.

But while many cheered the transportation committee’s endorsement Wednesday of a new roadmap for implementing the city’s two-year-old “complete streets” policy, some remain concerned that the plan sees trees as an afterthought.

After growing in popularity over the last decade or so, complete streets were formally adopted as policy in Ottawa in 2013 with the passage of the transportation master plan.

Complete streets are designed and maintained with all road users in mind in an effort to create safe, comfortable and convenient travel and access for users of all ages, regardless of whether they are driving a car, riding a bike, walking or taking the bus.

Examples of roads in Ottawa that incorporate complete street elements include Churchill Avenue, Leikin Drive, Longfields Drive and River Road. Main Street will be a complete street once the current reconstruction project is finished in 2017.

Complete streets will often look different depending on where they are and who they serve. In the city, they might include wider sidewalks and bike lanes that are separated from traffic; in rural areas, they might simply include a wide paved shoulder, which makes it easier for cyclists and pedestrians to safely share the road with vehicles.

According to Colin Simpson, a senior manager of transportation planning, the framework approved Wednesday sets a foundation to implement the city’s policy and ensure upcoming projects align with the city’s goals.

A key aspect of the framework is the formula traffic engineers use to measure traffic delays in comparison to the normal flow of traffic. For years, the formula has only considered cars in its assessment of traffic congestion and its categorization of roads based on how quickly cars are able to move down the street, free of delays, and how easily they can manoeuvre on the roadway.

Now, instead of thinking only of cars, planners will apply criteria for all modes of transportation — cars, pedestrians, cyclists, public transit and trucks.

The policy will be considered in all future road rehabilitation projects, Simpson said, but incorporating elements of complete streets can often be done long before a major road redesign.

For example, the section of St. Laurent Boulevard between Montreal and Hemlock roads was recently converted in an effort to increase safety for all road users. The conversion addressed that goal in two main ways: reducing speeding traffic (a concern of residents) and completing a cycling link between the east-west bikeway on Hemlock and the bike lanes on Montreal Road.

Lines were repainted and some signage was added as St. Laurent was reduced from four narrow lanes to two travel lanes plus bike lanes, with left-turning pockets for cars at intersections and building entrances.

Speaking on behalf of 15 community organizations, the head of the Lowertown Community Association cheered the complete-streets plan.

But Liz Bernstein also urged the committee to take advantage of the upcoming budget season to accelerate funding to make complete streets a reality. “The quality of our neighbourhoods is at stake,” she said.

Others spoke in favour of including more trees when creating complete streets.

“In the framework, there is just not enough attention paid to trees and greenspace,” said Bonnie Mabee of the Centretown Citizens Community Association.

Her concerns were echoed by several committee members, including Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney.

“I love Churchill, but I was struck by how much pavement there is,” she said.

Trees and greenspace are covered by other urban design guidelines already in place, Simpson said.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mpearson78

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...omplete-praise

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:41 PM

So, will they make road lanes narrower too to calm traffic within the city?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 12:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Main Street "complete street" construction imagery is now on StreetView (from September 2015):

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.40734...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 12:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Complete streets, completely demystified

Matthew Pearson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 13, 2015 | Last Updated: October 13, 2015 3:19 PM EDT

I wrote about complete streets last week when the framework to implement the city’s two-year-old policy was before the transportation committee.

Complete streets are designed and maintained with all road users in mind in an effort to create safe, comfortable and convenient travel and access for users of all ages, regardless of whether they are driving a car, riding a bike, walking or taking the bus.

Examples of roads in Ottawa that incorporate complete street elements include Churchill Avenue, Leikin Drive, Longfields Drive and River Road. Main Street will be a complete street once the current reconstruction project is finished in 2017.

Complete streets will often look different depending on where they are and who they serve. In the city, they might include wider sidewalks and bike lanes that are separated from traffic; in rural areas, they might simply include a wide paved shoulder, which makes it easier for cyclists and pedestrians to safely share the road with vehicles.

According to Colin Simpson, a senior manager of transportation planning, the framework approved Wednesday sets a foundation to implement the city’s policy and ensure upcoming projects align with the city’s goals.

The framework was approved unanimously, but the committee wanted staff to dig a little deeper into two issues: How quickly some specific elements of complete street design could be implemented and where trees and landscaping fit into the road design equation.

The following memo, released Tuesday, is the staff response. Council will weigh in on complete streets when it meets Wednesday.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/284815205...work-Follow-up

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ly-demystified

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 1:41 AM

Richmond Road Complete Street open hous4

I just got invited to this. Not sure how to expand the link to full text version.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...omplete-street

I will admit that there are few details or drawings....

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
I just got invited to this. Not sure how to expand the link to full text version.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...omplete-street

I will admit that there are few details or drawings....
Hopefully they won't be completing the street the same way Tobi Nussbaum and Councillor Useless "completed" Beechwood by removing transit service and destroying transit connections.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:50 PM

Looking good. Unfortunately had to leave early, so couldn't hear what public had to say.

Cleary:

Woodroffe:

New Orchard:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 3:58 PM
Busy Beaver

It's being built above of the LRT tunnel so it's in addition to improved transit and connections.

I went to the session last night, I like what I saw. I particularly love the potential of the linear park becoming more of a dynamic and active space. Sadly there were a lot of stodgy old curmudgeons there with nothing but whiny negative input, when they'll probably be half dead by the time most of this is built.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
It's being built above of the LRT tunnel so it's in addition to improved transit and connections.

I went to the session last night, I like what I saw. I particularly love the potential of the linear park becoming more of a dynamic and active space. Sadly there were a lot of stodgy old curmudgeons there with nothing but whiny negative input, when they'll probably be half dead by the time most of this is built.
What were they grumbling about? Parking, parking, noise, parking, wider roads, parking?
I bet some were demanding LRT construction to stop all together because reasons.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 4:34 PM
Busy Beaver

Yup, parking, loss of access due to some closures, and judging from some of the written comments, a few even were against public art or the idea of the park getting better use!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 6:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

This is an interesting discussion, and I propose merging it into the "Complete Streets" thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=210479

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Yup, parking, loss of access due to some closures, and judging from some of the written comments, a few even were against public art or the idea of the park getting better use!
Where did property values, crime, and think about the children figure in?

Also, what's with the closing-Byron idea?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation