HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 3:30 AM

Here's one more 'mystery' location from "The Immoral Mr. Teas" [c.1959]

Does anyone recognize the mid-century building that was used as the Dental Supply Co.

This is where Mr. Teas picks up his bicycle (he's a door-to-door dental supplies salesman)

Best Clue.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2017 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:23 AM

Before I call it a night I have a challenge for you.

Can anyone tell me what we're looking at here?

I'm pretty sure the coffee shop is 'Johnnies' on Wilshire (note the J on the mat)

Can one of you fine sleuths solve the mystery?

Goodnight.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:42 AM

In Front Of Johnnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I'm pretty sure the coffee shop is 'Johnnies' on Wilshire (note the J on the mat)

Goodnight.

Easy one...New iPhone 8

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:43 AM

Traffic Improvement Plan

This Daily News photo is captioned: "Test of a plan proposed to speed up peak-hour traffic on Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, March 1940"

UCLA Special Collections

The plan seems to involve stopping all westbound traffic on Wilshire at Alvarado. This stretch was our equivalent of Harley Street back in the day. That's the Westlake Professional Building on the left, and Wilshire Professional Building on the right, both are survivors:

GSV

At the upper right corner of the 1940 picture seems to be a billboard of some sort; the white dots are imperfections on the negative, I think.

I didn't know double-decker buses were in routine service in 1940, but here is #730 of the Los Angeles Motor Coach Co. on Route 82 Wilshire - Fairfax Ave. Amazing how well dressed the people are. Makes me wonder if this might have been a special charter or something.

Quite a contrast with what we have these days...

Google Images

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This Daily News photo is captioned: "Test of a plan proposed to speed up peak-hour traffic on Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, March 1940"

UCLA Special Collections

The plan seems to involve stopping all westbound traffic on Wilshire at Alvarado. This stretch was our equivalent of Harley Street back in the day. That's the Westlake Professional Building on the left, and Wilshire Professional Building on the right, both are survivors:

GSV

At the upper right corner of the 1940 picture seems to be a billboard of some sort; the white dots are imperfections on the negative, I think.

I didn't know double-decker buses were in routine service in 1940, but here is #730 of the Los Angeles Motor Coach Co. on Route 82 Wilshire - Fairfax Ave. Amazing how well dressed the people are. Makes me wonder if this might have been a special charter or something.

Quite a contrast with what we have these days...

Google Images
What is really striking is how many women & men wore hats before the 1960s. Hats, except baseball caps & cowboy hats in certain western states, are kaput. Practically all men wore hats to the office and when they went out before the '60s--and for men ties and suits were the norm, even when just going out to shop or sight see like those on the bus. The times, they are a changing. Informal is the new norm. Ties are even on the downswing in offices, but ties were always useless. Hats serve a purpose--they keep raindrops & bird poop off your hair, but ties have no purpose as far as I can see.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 11:59 AM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:20 PM

LAT

(At first glance, this looked to me like two different photos)

New on our famous waterfall: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...128-story.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:

futurestudio.typepad.com > Historic Roadside Los Angeles

We've seen many examples of 'mimetic' architecture on NLA, but I don't believe we have seen "Betsy Ann".

http://futurestudio.typepad.com/phot...betsy-ann.html

The Betsy Ann, in the shape of a woman with a hat, long curls in her hair, a large hoop skirt, and holding a fan, is an ice cream and candy shop.
Two ice cream cones flank the entrance, which is through her skirt. Signs on either side of her read: "We manufacture our own ice cream and candies,"
below that, another sign reading, "Betsy Ann fancy ice cream & candies," and "Good old Eastside. The perfect brew. We serve cold drinks of all kinds."
There was a real Betsy Ann behind Betsy Ann Candies; Betsy Ann Helsel founded the company in 1938. In this photo, two 2-story homes can be seen
directly behind the ice cream parlor.
According to betsyann.com, Betsy Ann Helsel started Betsy Ann Chocolates in 1938, although the company is located in Pittsburgh. Another article says that the original Betsy Ann was actually named Bessie J Helsel, again stating the Pittsburgh connection.

The picture above also appears on a page called Los Angeles's Programmatic Architecture. Its description says "Betsy Ann - ice cream and candy shop in the shape of a woman with a hat, hoop skirt, and holding a fan Was on Foothill Drive and opened in 1928 or 1938, started by Betsy Ann Helsel." The current Foothill Drive (just north of Franklin Avenue) certainly doesn't look like the picture, and Foothill Drive in Glendale seems even more unlikely. Some old maps show Foothill Road in Beverly Hills as Foothill Drive, but I can't see it being there. Could they have meant Foothill Boulevard? The Eastside sign suggests that this was in Los Angeles, but I'm also wondering if someone just assumed that Betsy Ann Candies and Betsy Ann Chocolates were the same company due to their similar names.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:

[...]
Auditioning for Papageno in a postmodernist production of The Magic Flute?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzyZXy7hu8

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
futurestudio.typepad.com > Historic Roadside Los Angeles

We've seen many examples of 'mimetic' architecture on NLA, but I don't believe we have seen "Betsy Ann".

http://futurestudio.typepad.com/phot...betsy-ann.html

The Betsy Ann, in the shape of a woman with a hat, long curls in her hair, a large hoop skirt, and holding a fan, is an ice cream and candy shop.
Two ice cream cones flank the entrance, which is through her skirt. Signs on either side of her read: "We manufacture our own ice cream and candies,"
below that, another sign reading, "Betsy Ann fancy ice cream & candies," and "Good old Eastside. The perfect brew. We serve cold drinks of all kinds."
There was a real Betsy Ann behind Betsy Ann Candies; Betsy Ann Helsel founded the company in 1938. In this photo, two 2-story homes can be seen
directly behind the ice cream parlor.

I looked through several directories....but no Betsy Ann Helsel.

The image evokes for me the '20s rather than the '30s... while online there are numerous refs to Betsy Ann Ice Cream on Foothill Drive, the primary addresses I've found for it are 7512 and 8945 Santa Monica Blvd. (27 CD); in 1930, there is 4031 W. 10th St., which is Olympic Blvd today. There are no refs to BA Ice Cream in the 32 & after CDs....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 31, 2017 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Depression Desperation

This 1930s Los Angeles[?] restaurant was formerly an ice cream parlor. That's the owner showing us the new sign...."Free donuts and coffee".

Does part of the sign say " 2625 Colorado Blvd"....this might be Pasadena-Eagle Rock?

waterandpower

waterandpower

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:06 PM

Here's another Julius Shulman photoset of a private house which caught my eye. It's "Job 4381: Dr. Iwata House (Monterey Park, Calif.), 1968". This is the only color shot. I've left out two similar ones in black & white.

This is the view looking up the hill from the back. It looks like the central part of the structure houses the stairs.

These walkways lead across from behind the garage/pool area.

There's only this single interior shot.

All from Getty Research Institute

The house can be found at 912 Summit Place, Monterey Park. An article at la.curbed says that it came onto the market for the first time in 2014. From the article:
This incredible house, sited on a 1.6-acre hilltop lot in Monterey Park, was designed by architect Pierre Koenig, who's most famous for his Case Study Houses Nos. 21 (aka the Bailey House) and 22 (aka the iconic Stahl House). His Iwata House was built in 1963 for a Dr. and Mrs. Iwata and never once changed hands over the years. The house is spread out over nearly 5,000 square feet and was originally built with six bedrooms that were later converted to four larger rooms; "Can be put back easily," assures the listing. The immense kitchen, like the rest of the interior, has been remodeled, and now includes two islands and fancy appliances. Outside, there's a saltwater pool and a barbecue/entertainment nook. The asking price is $1.888 million.
There are plenty of recent color photos in the article, including a couple of that fancy kitchen with two islands. The property websites all give a build date of 1967. They also say that the house only sold for $1,650,000 in 2014, and is now worth just under $2 million.

Google Maps

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's another Julius Shulman photoset of a private house which caught my eye. It's "Job 4381: Dr. Iwata House (Monterey Park, Calif.), 1968". This is the only color shot. I've left out two similar ones in black & white.

Is it just me....but this house has a stark coldness about it that's very unpleasant.

I do enjoy and admire much of Pierre Koenig's work but this example takes the idea of the 'machine as architecture' to painful extremes.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 8:59 PM

Interesting post Hoss.

The Iwata House under construction in 1963.

https://en.wikiarquitectura.com/index.php/Iwata_House

___

Now back to your post hoss.

What is this?

detail
originally posted by HossC / my apologies for cropping a Juluis Shulman photograph.

At first I thought it was a side view of an electrical high-line tower...but now I'm not so sure. (I don't see any wires)

I'm also curious about this area down the hill a bit from the house.

google_earth detail

Rock Garden perhaps?

Just for fun here's an aerial from a different angle.

(the roof looks a better in this pic) I'd be worried about mold from what I see in that first aerial.

http://la.curbed.com/2014/8/18/10059...irst-time-ever

this is probably a Bing view.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The image evokes for me the '20s rather than the '30s... while online there are numerous refs to Betsy Ann Ice Cream on Foothill Drive, the primary addresses I've found for it are 7512 and 8945 Santa Monica Blvd. (27 CD); in 1930, there is 4031 W. 10th St., which is Olympic Blvd today. There are no refs to BA Ice Cream in the 32 & after CDs....
Different Betsy Anns? I missed HossC's post that seemed to make the same observation, i.e., there could have been confusion between two similar sounding confectioners.

Betsy Ann, American Chocolates, is very much alive and headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA. http://www.betsyann.com/info/about According to its site, this BA began in 1938. Other sources also trace the company's roots to Pittsburgh. http://old.post-gazette.com/food/200...nn0414fnp2.asp Los Angeles does not seem to be part of this recipe.

Founder of BA American Chocolates, Betty Ann Helsel, '63.
http://www.betsyann.com/images/asset...d%20200dpi.jpg

Not to be confused with actress, Betsy Ann Hisle. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0386808/

Eastside may have dabbled in malted drinks, soft drinks or near beer during prohibition, but for perhaps obvious reasons, an ad for Eastside 3.2% beer would likely have been post March 22, 1933.

Last edited by Tourmaline; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Auditioning for Papageno in a postmodernist production of The Magic Flute?
Interesting guess odinthor.

There's been another sighting.

Los Angeles, 1976

I will reveal the answer later tonight.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:

google_earth detail

Rock Garden perhaps?
Thanks for the construction pics, e_r. A rock garden was my guess. Here's the only picture from that area among the images in the link I posted.

la.curbed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Is it just me....but this house has a stark coldness about it that's very unpleasant.
The interior does have serveral large rooms with lots of shiny surfaces, but I like it more than some of other designer houses of this era. BTW, it comes with this view!

la.curbed.com

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 10:51 PM

That tower is a real puzzler. It appears to be an open framework with an opaque rod or tube running up the middle:

THere's also some kind of object visible in line with it between the levels:

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
That tower is a real puzzler. It appears to be an open framework with an opaque rod or tube running up the middle:

THere's also some kind of object visible in line with it between the levels:

Cheers,

Earl
I believe what were looking at is a telescoping antenna support. My neighbor had one back in the '80s which he topped with a HAM radio antenna. There is a winch that you crank, raising and lowering the aerial which appears to be absent.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 11:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:

google_earth detail

That roof is in bad shape. It appears that water has collected in low spots of the roof. This will cause erosion of the roof's water-tight integrity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos