HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 2:06 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Is that laundry on a clothesline on the roof of the Customs House? Were there residents there?
Yeah I loved that photo for that reason. Interesting touch of "humanity" in a photo focused on historic architecture. Awesome.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 3:37 PM

The city looks so sooty and shabby back in that era. Still, can't help but think it would've been a pretty fascinating place during the wars, as the country's main Atlantic port.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 6:56 PM

Thanks for posting, someone123.

I really appreciate the interest you take in Halifax's historic buildings and neighborhoods. I truly enjoy the vintage pics that you post here!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:08 AM

Great photos! There very well could have been an apartment in the now gone Customs Building. A lot of old federal buildings had an apartment for the caretaker. Anyone know when the Customs Building came down? I know the addition to the Dominion Public Building was added in the 60s so my hunch is it would have been around then. Sad to see what use to stand on some of the long-standing vacant lots around Town.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That ball park was nicknamed "Little Brooklyn" and was the home of the Dartmouth Arrows baseball team, part of the Halifax and District League, I believe. Minor league baseball was a big deal in the area back in the '40s and '50s with some local players even making it to the major leagues.

I don't know why the park was razed to make way for the Holiday Inn, but this is motivating me to do a little research on the topic.

EDIT: Did a little searching on the net and found this history lesson on the Halifax and District Baseball League. Really interesting if you're a baseball fan, or just a student of local history. The story doesn't spell it out, but I'm guessing that the field was taken down as a result of the demise of the league, after 1959.

Here's the link:
http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseu...&sl=4440&pos=1
Very COOL ! thanks for the link , OldDartmouthMark

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 7:04 PM

You're welcome!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:26 PM
BUILD!

Here's one I found at work sifting through some promo flyers for a company.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 12:30 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Wow! we have been screaming for construction pics of the Purdy Buildings. Finally someone has delivered. Thank you

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:14 AM
Dartmouth Girl

So- my grandfather has sold his home and has moved to one of the assisted living complexes in the city. One of the last things we found cleaning out the house was a box full of hundreds of old photos (my Grampy was a very avid camera enthusiast) I don't know how many more I'll find as this seems to be a bit of a "rejects" box (bad exposure, blurry developing errors etc) and a bunch seem to be family photos.. but I have found a few of around the city I've scanned, restored/touched up and would like to share with you guys! If you could help me maybe try and figure out what years these were taken.. it would be greatly appreciated!

(Click on the pictures if you'd like to see a larger image)
A couple from Dartmouth, first:

(looking down the large hill on Cole Harbour Road/Lawrencetown Road towards the beaches; exact year unknown)

(Looking Northbound on John Cross Drive towards the back of Prince Andrew/Akerley; exact year unknown)

Now this is a quick panorama I whipped up using the following three photos after it. They were scanned at 1200dpi from an 8x10 contact sheet of 35mm proofs (the only one developed to a full picture was the last one above), so they aren't the highest of quality, but I think they turned out alright! (and they stitched together amazingly) I can't determine the exact year, but I think sometime around 1971.

I've got a couple taken from on the MacDonald Bridge (not sure an exact year on these, either):

This one I found rather interesting with what's visible in the background, modelling credit to my Grandmother, and Uncle..

All photo credit goes to my Grandfather John Helliwell scans & retouching, and panorama done by me

Last edited by Aya_Akai; Feb 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM. Reason: credits!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 11:33 AM

Cool photos. The pano is no earlier than late 1973. The car in the right foreground is at earliest a 1974 model - you can tell by the large front bumper, which were required for the first time that year.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:13 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Cool photos. The pano is no earlier than late 1973. The car in the right foreground is at earliest a 1974 model - you can tell by the large front bumper, which were required for the first time that year.
And with the metro centre not even under construction yet, that would probably put the photograph around 1975.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Actually 1973 was the first year for 5 mph bumpers - just getting nitpicky. The car in the foreground of the pano could be a 1973-75 Pontiac Lemans or Grand Am - front bumper corner, fender, sidemarker light were virtually the same for those 3 years.

The pic John Cross is likely early seventies. Foreground is a '71 - '73 fullsize GM (Pontiac?), a VW bug of unknown year, a couple of '69 Pontiacs, an unknown wagon, and a Ford Pinto (which was first built in 1971 - can't discern the year from the pic).

To Halistreaks: Thanks for posting those! They are really neat to see.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 5:08 AM
Honored Member

I found this YouTube video showing downtown Halifax from the Citadel in the early 1960's before Scotia Square was built. Halifax looks much better today than it did back then. I first saw Halifax around 1969 - 1970 when I was very young and the ensuing modern architecture has made it a much nicer place to live, in my opinion.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:41 AM

I was digging around and found this and thought someone here might appreciate it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mNAKpGV78R4

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:07 AM

The first minute and a half, looping for a little over 6 minutes.

Halifax Nova Scotia 1970's

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
The first minute and a half, looping for a little over 6 minutes.

Halifax Nova Scotia 1970's
Around 1:20 you can see the old Bank of Nova Scotia building adjacent to the Provincial Building (AGNS gallery south), and the colour discrepancy is amazing. The Provincial Building was filthy.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:26 PM

Cool link - lots of buildings that I haven't seen in years, even in photos, such as:
- the old Irving station on Sackville St.,
- Citadel Motors with its neon Cadillac sign,
- the old St. Paul's rectory building on Argyle before it was reduced to part of a facade with a non-attractive office box built around it,
- the Moir's factory

Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A great old photo of the Neptune Theatre taken in the 60's:

Source

I like the building to the left next to the Tramway Building too!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, what a great little narrow building. Too bad they didn't leave that when the built the new Neptune.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
A great old photo of the Neptune Theatre taken in the 60's:

Source

For the sake of accuracy, the photo is likely from the early '70s, from the '71 - '72 Mercury Comet in the photo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos