HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrain84
Does anyone have any information on the status of Stanhi? I noticed the rendering on the front forum page shows a much different rendering than the original rendering. It looks as though the new rendering is only 45 or 50 stories high.. That is much less than the 65 stories originally reported.. I assume that Cherry will be able to build Stanhi, since they got both Newport and Soho off the ground, but thats just conjecture on my part..
Stanhi is 45 stories and will come out of the ground in March! Pre-marketing sales started 1 and 1/2 weeks ago to buyers on the waiting list. The building is beautifully situated between Soho, Newport and Juhl. Diagnally across the street will be be a 5 story 29 unit boutique building tentatively called Factory Lofts. Cherry will get it done. The corridor from Charleston to Boneville and LV Blvd to Main will be fun to watch. I'm not sure many people quite understand the transformation that is now in full swing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:28 AM
The Picture Guy

You can build any building and call it "architecture", but there is a difference between good architecture and bad architecture. Bad architecture impose negative externality in the neighborhood in which it sits and it makes the users feel uncomfortable. Many doctors have raised the concern that patients may not want to enter a building that looks radical, especially we are talking about patients with Alzheimer's Disease for crying out loud. The ONLY person who likes the design is Ghery himself, and he tries to defend his rationale even though many professors and doctors have expressed their concerns over the design. A good architect listens to his users and design to meet their needs, but Gehry simply did not take that into account.

If the doctors stay too long in this building, I am afraid they will start thinking that they are developing Alzheimer’s disease as well because they can't tell if the buildings are really twisted or it is just their own imaginations.

We could have built a more traditional looking insititute with BEAUTIFUL GARDENS and FOUNTAINS located in carious courtyards that surround the building, THAT will create a CALM atmosphere.

He can build a giant toilet in Vegas and call it architecture, but build it where I can't see it, and don't build it for the Alzheimer’s institute for Goodness sake.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J
Stanhi is 45 stories and will come out of the ground in March! Pre-marketing sales started 1 and 1/2 weeks ago to buyers on the waiting list. The building is beautifully situated between Soho, Newport and Juhl. Diagnally across the street will be be a 5 story 29 unit boutique building tentatively called Factory Lofts. Cherry will get it done. The corridor from Charleston to Boneville and LV Blvd to Main will be fun to watch. I'm not sure many people quite understand the transformation that is now in full swing.
Quick follow up, do you know the new height of the building? And where can you get information on it, the Stanhi website doesn't offer any details.. Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark
From From here:

That has to be one of the crappiest diagrams ever.

But it's interesting to read that it sounds like this guy is really going to fight for the height. We'll see how he stands up to the new NIMBY's on the block.

What's happening to Vegas? Used to be you could design a building to look like a pink circus tent or some other goofy folly and nobody would blink. Now everybody gets all bent out of shape if someone tries something different. Oh well, at least all the controversies keep the conversation lively. (Not that I'm advocating more buildings shaped like pink circus tents or anything, just noting a shift in attitudes.)

Last edited by mdiederi; Dec 5, 2006 at 8:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 10:33 AM
need input!!!

Where did that sketch come from, yuck . That's no Obelisk, an obelisk is shaped like the Washington Monument, there's one in front of Luxor. That sketch looks like something you'd find under Paris Hilton's bed.

A true 1,888' obelisk tower would look pretty cool. I started with a 250' sq. base which tapers to 140" sq. With the height of the base at 1788' and a 100' tall pyramid on top.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazfingr

Where did that sketch come from, yuck . That's no Obelisk, an obelisk is shaped like the Washington Monument, there's one in front of Luxor. That sketch looks like something you'd find under Paris Hilton's bed.
ROFL.. So true, so true. I have serious doubts about any project coming to pass that a. Doesn't have any decent models or even sketches of the building, and b. projects without a website. If you don't have a website, you don't really have a marketing plan.. Its an interesting project which will never come to pass. If Ivana can't get built, something this big surely wont.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 2:27 AM
The Picture Guy

The developer's name is Milam, and the name on that sketch says Milan. I am pretty sure that sketch wasn't drawn by the developer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:16 AM

Nah, that sketch was drawn by the newspaper artist Maureen Adamo.

Here are the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:28 AM
Uncle Frank

More The Palazzo

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrain84
Quick follow up, do you know the new height of the building? And where can you get information on it, the Stanhi website doesn't offer any details.. Thanks!
Approximately 500+ feet. The Stanhi sales office is located on Fourth st. between Gass and Garces. West side of street right next door to Breslin Builders.

Last edited by David J; Dec 6, 2006 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi
Nah, that sketch was drawn by the newspaper artist Maureen Adamo.

Here are the renderings.

Oh, I was too quick to judge, they actually did hire a real architect.. And actually, the building isn't that bad, reminds me of something that would be built in Dubai. It's still not technically an obelisk, but the building is architechturally interesting. I am guessing that a 575m tower would hit a major hurtle with the FAA. But perhaps it wont if its on the south side of the stratosphere, as all air traffic goes just north of Stratosphere and then banks to land on Runway 19. I think the NIMBY's will be the ones to object the most to this proposal. I dont think Paris Hilton could fit that under her bed..

Last edited by vegasrain84; Dec 6, 2006 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:16 PM

What Council Approves These Projects. Las Vegas City Or County?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:48 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ i think clark co since the strip is not in the city limits

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:25 PM

if built that would be america's tallest building!!!!!!!

im suprised theres so much work done for it....i thought that it was just an 'idea'. but they are serious!(?)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG
if built that would be america's tallest building!!!!!!!
There are plans for a taller one in Chicago, but this one has a higher roof. Milam better start thinking about putting a spire on top.

Quote:
im suprised theres so much work done for it....i thought that it was just an 'idea'. but they are serious!(?)
The more I read about Milam, the more I think he actually has the savy to get it approved and get it built.

Pretty sure the county commission will only pay attention to the FAA and totally ignore the NIMBY's in the shorter skyscrapers.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 7:46 PM

Wow that Milam tower is impressive. I have doubts it will be approved, mainly because of the FAA. 1888' seems really high for a building so close to McCarren and Nellis.

I really hope the county will ignore the NIMBY's on this. The majority of the people in these high rise condos have three or four other homes, and aren't even there most of year. Look at Turnberry at night, it's dark. Sky will probably be not much different. I find it hard to believe that people who buy on or adjacent to the Las Vegas Strip, would get mad and fight when a large project is proposed next to them. It's the Strip!

If NIMBY's win it could set a terrible precedent. The Strip has always been over the top, and larger than life. Having people living right in the middle of it could bring about far more changes than we ever thought.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 10:37 PM

The Milam building looks like something that would be at home in Dubai or Hong Kong. I hope somehow it gets built, but I doubt it will.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDSPork02
What Council Approves These Projects. Las Vegas City Or County?
Anything South of Sahara Ave. (South of Stratosphere tower) is Clark County, anything north is is City of Las Vegas. It is under Clark County jurisdiction, and is on the old Wet and Wild site, just north of Fontainbleau Hotel which has been proposed. I put in a building add request to put it into the diagram.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 8:49 AM

can someone post a website or other info regarding milam and the project? i am trying to find some more on it now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 12:39 PM

New "model" town to be built near Jean

Dec. 04, 2006
Las Vegas Review-Journal

Juhl condos 60 percent sold as progress continues

Project will include 340 condominiums, ground-floor shops

By HUBBLE SMITH
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Construction crews are pouring the third and fourth floors of the parking structure and residential building for Juhl, a $170 million mixed-use condominium development in downtown Las Vegas.

The project by San Diego-based CityMark Development will have 340 condo units and 24,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space in a 15-story building. It will occupy nearly an entire city block at Bonne- ville Avenue and Third Street.

With 214 "hard contracts," or binding purchase agreements, Juhl is about 60 percent sold, CityMark President Rich Gustafson said. Chicago-based Corus Bank is financing construction.

Gustafson said he's getting a cross-section of buyers from the less expensive studio units to the million-dollar penthouses. A large percentage will be primary residents in the building.

"That's one of our goals," he said. "We're looking for a lights-on building."

Juhl is attracting some buyers who had their deposits returned from failed high-rise projects in Las Vegas Valley. They're finding the price points of $400 to $500 a square foot quite favorable compared with $1,000 a square foot on the Strip, Gustafson said.

Demand for luxury condo units is coming from local residents who've lived in high-rise projects in other cities such as New York, Chicago and Miami; second-home and vacation home owners; professionals who want to live near their offices; and investors.

Juhl's project manager Alex Beaton said about 115 construction workers are on site daily and the number will grow to 200 to 225 during the next 15 to 18 months. About 70 percent are concrete workers, 20 percent are rebar workers and the rest are electrical and mechanical trades.

Turner Construction is the general contractor; Martinez-Cuitri is the architect.

NOVA TOWN: A unique, futuristic model town planned for 24 acres near Jean will be announced Thursday by creator Melissa Henry, a Brussels native who moved to Las Vegas from New York six years ago. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will speak at the event to be held at Turnberry Place's Stirling Club.

Henry's vision for Nova Town and Sage Era is an international resort community with boutique retail shops and restaurants, bed-and-breakfast accommodations, theaters and nonfossil-fuel cars and carriages.

"Our goal is to build an international model town that will serve as a new standard for other communities around the world showing a practical step towards wiser, more intelligent existence," she said. Henry's nonprofit organization paid about $1 million for the land six miles off Interstate 15.

Find this article at:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../11152919.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations