HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 11:21 PM

wasn't this the site of a very tall and very ugly hotel by a Japanese firm a year or so ago?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 9:19 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
wasn't this the site of a very tall and very ugly hotel by a Japanese firm a year or so ago?
No. You are referring to SW 3rd and Oak, a quarter-block site next to the historic Portland police central precinct building.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:22 AM

This is the parking lot block directly south of Pine Street Market

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 1:32 AM

Looking east down Pine St at 2nd Ave., the proposed hotel is on the right, Pine St Market on the left. I'd be so happy to see this parking lot go. And the "living" building a block away has a crane up, replacing another parking lot.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.25.58 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Looking east down Pine St at 2nd Ave., the proposed hotel is on the right, Pine St Market on the left. I'd be so happy to see this parking lot go. And the "living" building a block away has a crane up, replacing another parking lot.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 6.25.58 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr
Oh wow, I didn't know this one already started going up, that is great news.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 9:36 PM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:50 AM

PAE Living Building

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 5:44 PM

Notice of a Public Hearing for the Demolition of the old Blanchet House

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice of a Public Hearing for the Demolition of the old Blanchet House
Anyone know the back story to this? Why would the city even entertain this proposal without a replacement development?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:51 PM

PAE Living Building

This building is amazing.

Last edited by stan; Jun 25, 2021 at 10:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
This building is amazing. https://ibb.co/xD3GCD2
Oh damn, I haven't been down there since when the framing of the building was being done. That looks fantastic, such a good infill.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 10:42 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh damn, I haven't been down there since when the framing of the building was being done. That looks fantastic, such a good infill.
A handsome ZGF building.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Buyers of historic Old Town building hope to build an art space for BIPOC creators
The two owners want to create a space where artists of color can feel comfortable and accepted, while having the resources to do great work.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Two Portland entrepreneurs are working to turn the Horizon Enterprise Building in Portland's Old Town into a space for BIPOC artists.

Adewale Agboola and Cyrus Coleman purchased the building about a year ago and are trying to raise $2 million in order to completely renovate it.

When the building is done, Agboola and Coleman said it will have a full production studio, jazz club, art gallery, podcast room, painting room and a lot of other things.

"Coming from my personal story, when I moved here, I was not able to find the community I really want." Agboola said.

Agboola and Coleman are both Black and said it can be hard to find spaces where Black artists feel welcome and accepted.

"We want to create a space where we can feel seen and celebrated but also a place where we can all be comfortable and not be overlooked and over-shadowed," Agboola said.

Coleman is a designer at Nike. He said he wants to bring positivity and life back to Old Town. He said he understands that crime and homelessness are big concerns.

"There's challenges everywhere in Portland," Coleman said. "You've got to build it and they will come. It takes everyone being here to change it."
...continues at KGW.

(Permits for the project are under review.)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 1:11 AM

Notice Of A Type I Proposal for the Old Town Lanterns Pilot Project

Old Posted Dec 28, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Notice Of A Type I Proposal for the Old Town Lanterns Pilot Project
This would really enhance the look of that area but I'm skeptical of their choice of galvanized braided wire instead of stainless, with the amount of rain we get here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:35 AM

[$] https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...-old-town.html

Quote:
Portland police in early talks about moving headquarters, Central Precinct to hard-hit Old Town
Updated: Jan. 12, 2023, 5:48 p.m.|Published: Jan. 12, 2023, 5:39 p.m.
By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Portland police are in early talks about moving Central Precinct and their headquarters to a large building in the city’s Old Town district, Chief Chuck Lovell and bureau staff confirmed Thursday.

Central Precinct Cmdr. Craig Dobson and others did a walk-through late last year of the 160,044-square-foot property at the corner of Northwest First Avenue and Everett Street. It’s now owned by NWEA, the not-for-profit education research group that’s being acquired by a Boston-based company.

The building has been NWEA’s headquarters since 2011, though its staff mainly work remotely.

“It’s a building that would work for all of us,” Lovell said, referring to both the precinct’s patrol unit, as well as the chief’s office, command staff, detective, internal affairs, records and forensic divisions.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:34 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Looking at this building and it's location, I have to agree this would be the ideal location for the Central Precinct building. Plus having them located in Old Town might actually be a step in the right direction for that district.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
The Horizon Building aims to make space for artists of color in Portland’s Old Town

Cyrus Coleman needed a studio space where he could show work and create art in Portland. But he was striking out.

“I wasn’t able to find anything,” Coleman, 32, said, standing on the stairs in the Horizon Enterprise Building in Old Town in late December. “I asked Wale if he wanted to go in on something together and we still weren’t able to find a decent space.”

Adewale Agboola, 34, who goes by Wale, nodded.

“It’s kind of how we snowballed into this,” Coleman said.

“This” is the Horizon Enterprise Building, a historic $2.1 million 20,000 square feet building, built in 1905, which the two men now own.

The plans for the Horizon Enterprise Building include gallery space, a speakeasy, a maker studio as well as more traditional art studios and even a small apartment where visiting artists can stay upstairs.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 4:41 AM
A before E

Cool to see some new life for that building. I have only been in it's basement plenty of times back in the day when there was a bar there. Needless to say, I have gotten very drunk in that building's basement.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Peer Inside the Combination Tea and Fashion House That Just Opened in Old Town
Barnes and Morgan is a place to learn about both tea and personal style in a warm, welcoming environment

Barnes and Morgan in Old Town, tea sets, gathered from estate sales, sit on shelves mounted on brick walls. Mismatched light fixtures hang over the counter, shining light on a tray of baklava. A group comes in to check out the space, and Amir Morgan — a tea purveyor, textile artist, and clothing designer — greets them warmly. Instead of handing them a menu, he asks questions about what they like.

“I like mint tea,” one says.

“Peppermint? Spearmint?”

“Ginger is good too.”

“Well for a strong ginger…” Morgan says, reaching for a black canister. The visitor laughs. “I can smell it from here.”

As various customers enter the stylish, minimalist shop, Morgan takes a similar approach. He digs through drawers and cabinets to unearth bags of tea leaves, herbs, some curled into small spheres, others reminiscent of dried bouquets. While people wait for their tea to steep, his mother, Diane Barnes Morgan, greets each customer, offering to show them the back room where Morgan keeps his art.
...continues at Eater Portland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland