HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That chart is rather deceptive considering the towers going up today are massively taller than the ones that went up 1960-2000. If things continue on their current trajectory Mississauga could certainly pull even with skylines like Dallas or Boston in the next 10-15 years. Contrary to what your chart suggests, their big growth spurt is happening now.
The post I was responded to said nothing about skylines and did not specify supertalls, so get off your high horse.

Old Posted Today, 12:08 AM

Yeah, this is what I mean. 27 in pipeline. Even if half of those are built it will be an extraordinary change in a very short time period.

Los Angeles has 35 built and u/c. Mississauga with 4 complete now and lapping LA in basically 10 years is loco.

The point is Canada is in a different gear now that rest of the Western Hemisphere - much more on par with Asia where large new urban centers pop up seemingly overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
There are 14 skyscrapers in Mississauga now, 6 built and 8 U/C. https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=105067124 - https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=105067135

BUT... there are another 27 in the pipeline. https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=105067138

Old Posted Today, 1:07 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickellBased View Post
I should have specified 'skyscrapers' rather than towers, ie 150 meter plus buildings.

6 of the tallest 10 buildings in Mississauga are currently under construction, with 2 others finished last year (M1 and M2). https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/city/mississauga

Before 2023 there were only 4 150m+ buildings and none in 2011 - so Mississauga is breaking through a new height ceiling construction wise.

Skyscraper counts by cities are generally tallied by 150m+ only. But I didn't not know that Mississauga had so many 100-350 ft buildings. I'm not sure what 10th place in 150m+ buildings is in NA, bu it's probably only around 15 or so, so Mississauga is almost there.

I just figure that these new height booms in Mississauga and Markham and Vaughn are spillover from the deluge of development in Toronto.

I counted on CBTUH website and Toronto/Mississauga/Markham/Vaughn have 40+ 150m buildings u/c which puts them on part with the biggest cities in China.
I was curious to see what the current ranking actually is. Based on the list from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat or CTBUH (first number) and the SSP diagram section (second bracketed number) with the selection of highrise, 150m or taller official height, and completed or u/c we see the following list:

1) New York City 317 (300)
2) Chicago 137 (140)
3) Toronto 91 (125)
4) Panama 67 (49)
5) Miami 61 (58)
6) Houston 41 (37)
7) Los Angeles 30 (35)
8) Mexico City 28 (32)
9) San Francisco 26 (27)
10) Boston 25 (26)
11) Seattle 22 (22)
12) Dallas 21 (21)
13) Calgary 18 (20)
14) Atlanta 17 (20)
15) Jersey City 17 (17)
16) Philadelphia 17 (18)
17) Las Vegas 16 (17)
18) Montreal 13 (16)
Mississauga 10 (14) (not ranked)

So it might be awhile before it reaches top 10.

Old Posted Today, 1:23 AM

Thanks for doing the work.

As illustrator extraordinaire koops65 pointed out there are something like 27+ under proposal for Mississauga. Some of these are part of mega development projects there already under construction.

I think with the current and continued explosive trajectory of the Toronto area that Mississauga builds at least 2 a year for the next 10 years (probably more) and passes Boston.

The current more accurate number via koops65 I believe is 14 built and u/c which is only 11 behind Boston. If Boston doesn't build much more - which it tends not to, 2 a year could pass it in 6 years.

We'll have to meet back here in 2030 and see if it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I was curious to see what the current ranking actually is. Based on the list from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat or CTBUH (first number) and the SSP diagram section (second bracketed number) with the selection of highrise, 150m or taller official height, and completed or u/c we see the following list:

2) Chicago 137 (140)
3) Toronto 91 (125)
4) Panama 67 (49)
5) Miami 61 (58)
6) Houston 41 (37)
7) Los Angeles 30 (35)
8) Mexico City 28 (32)
9) San Francisco 26 (27)
10) Boston 25 (26)
11) Seattle 22 (22)
12) Dallas 21 (21)
13) Calgary 18 (20)
14) Atlanta 17 (20)
15) Jersey City 17 (17)
16) Philadelphia 17 (18)
17) Las Vegas 16 (17)
18) Montreal 13 (16)

Last edited by BrickellBased; Today at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Today, 1:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Proposals are always a little tricky to judge. In Toronto proper a fairly high ratio of them get built but certainly not all, and there are different dynamics in suburban markets. But yeah we'll see how things go. It sure would be interesting if there actually were two top 10 municipalities in a single metro area.

Old Posted Today, 1:35 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I think Mississauga will get a supertall soon enough, to go along with all the other tall proposals. It already has a nice skyline, and soon it will be even more impressive.

Old Posted Today, 1:42 AM

Altoic said he thinks of Toronto-Mississauga like Miami-Ft Lauderdale.

But I think New York-Jersey City comparison makes more sense which happens to also be high up the list at 17. Jersey City development very much a byproduct of extreme New York prices.

I guess what is interesting to me is the point that 98% of Americans have probably never heard of Mississauga and it will be rocketing by a number of major US cities in short order.

Quote:
Proposals are always a little tricky to judge. In Toronto proper a fairly high ratio of them get built but certainly not all, and there are different dynamics in suburban markets. But yeah we'll see how things go. It sure would be interesting if there actually were two top 10 municipalities in a single metro area.

Old Posted Today, 2:05 AM
I am the law!

I don't see a hundred storey tower being built in Mississauga. Anything can be proposed. The problem for Mississauga City Centre is the as right zoning not requiring zoning amendments. Built and under construction skyscrapers with google earth measured or estimated heights is the difference between CTBUH and SSP.

Mississauga may have also peaked on the skyscraper front. Vaughan City Centre is a better investment location as it looks like the market will remain GTA developments competing for the finite number of buyers indefinitely.

Old Posted Today, 2:15 AM

Quote:

2) Chicago 137 (140)
3) Toronto 91 (125)
4) Panama 67 (49)
5) Miami 61 (58)
6) Houston 41 (37)
7) Los Angeles 30 (35)
8) Mexico City 28 (32)
9) San Francisco 26 (27)
10) Boston 25 (26)
11) Seattle 22 (22)
12) Dallas 21 (21)
13) Calgary 18 (20)
14) Atlanta 17 (20)
15) Jersey City 17 (17)
16) Philadelphia 17 (18)
17) Las Vegas 16 (17)
18) Montreal 13 (16)

You Forgot one city that is also in a similar status and trajectory as Mississauga, Burnaby BC
which has 18 150m+ completed or under construction buildings
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=105068458

Burnaby (18)

I can see both being in the top 10 in the next decade

Old Posted Today, 2:37 AM

One more:

110 Eglinton East | 236.55m | 58s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly l pre-construction

A great aerial of 110 Eglinton.

abovegrade

If and when this is built, and if and when (lol) the 2180 Yonge development is built, along with 7 or 8 other talls in the pipeline (up to 212 metres)…. one might argue that Yonge and Eglinton nabe on its own…
will have a more impressive skyline than many North American cities.

2180 Yonge @ 65, 65, 60, 55 and 45 storeys.

UT

Old Posted Today, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
One more:

110 Eglinton East | 236.55m | 58s | Madison Group | Rafael Viñoly l pre-construction

A great aerial of 110 Eglinton.

abovegrade

If and when this is built, and if and when (lol) the 2180 Yonge development is built, along with 7 or 8 other talls in the pipeline (up to 212 metres)…. one might argue that Yonge and Eglinton nabe on its own…
will have a more impressive skyline than many North American cities.

2180 Yonge @ 65, 65, 60, 55 and 45 storeys.

UT
It never stops in this city.
I was just viewing a post: "Is Dallas' core infill being overlooked?" and i was thinking to myself if they only knew what is going on up here.

Old Posted Today, 3:05 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
You Forgot one city that is also in a similar status and trajectory as Mississauga, Burnaby BC

Burnaby (18)

I just looked at the first two pages on the CTBUH global 150m+ list and picked out the North American entries. Then looked up the entries in SSP diagrams for comparison since I wasn't sure how accurate the CTBUH numbers were. I assume Burnaby's number's must not be up to date on their site.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Today at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:11 AM

Jersey City is right across from Manhattan. Mississauga isn't like that at all... Square One doesn't have any rail connection to downtown Toronto. The busiest transit corridor in Mississauga runs parallel to the Toronto boundary and doesn't come near any Toronto bus route or subway station. The closest that Hurontario gets to the Toronto boundary is 5km. Hurontario Street is like Yonge Street, it runs to/from the lake, and it intersects with Dundas, Eglinton, Steeles like Yonge Street does... Mississauga's skyline runs perpendicular to the lake just like Toronto's.

Old Posted Today, 6:39 PM

Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini l u/c

The climbing construction hoarding now completely wrapping the tower floors. Only 84 floors to go!

wmedia

Earlier this week.

DavidCapizzano

2 weeks ago.

ADRM

UT

Old Posted Today, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post

Burnaby (18)

The list is also missing Austin, which has 13 completed, 6 under construction and another 13 proposed. However, most of the proposed will probably not start construction until interest rates drop and those that are primarily office will probably need to convert to residential or hospitality to be viable in the near term.

Old Posted Today, 7:45 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Yeah, this is what I mean. 27 in pipeline. Even if half of those are built it will be an extraordinary change in a very short time period.

Los Angeles has 35 built and u/c. Mississauga with 4 complete now and lapping LA in basically 10 years is loco.

The point is Canada is in a different gear now that rest of the Western Hemisphere - much more on par with Asia where large new urban centers pop up seemingly overnight.
The number of proposed buildings are mainly from rezoning exercises. They haven't progressed to that point that demonstrates serious interest to develop like sales, preleasing or an expiring development permit. To say if even half get built in a very short period is still extremely optimistic.

As I have hinted, Vaughan will surpass Mississauga for skyscrapers at some point in the future. It has a strategic advantage over Missy and, personally, a more cohesive downtown urban plan. And, coincidentally, Vaughan has around 100 proposed skyscrapers in the SSP database. Imagine if half of those get built in a very short period LOL.

Old Posted Today, 8:01 PM

Thanks for the input. Wow you are right - I am only getting my bearings with the Toronto area. Vaughan it is. I will keep my eye on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The number of proposed buildings are mainly from rezoning exercises. They haven't progressed to that point that demonstrates serious interest to develop like sales, preleasing or an expiring development permit. To say if even half get built in a very short period is still extremely optimistic.

As I have hinted, Vaughan will surpass Mississauga for skyscrapers at some point in the future. It has a strategic advantage over Missy and, personally, a more cohesive downtown urban plan. And, coincidentally, Vaughan has around 100 proposed skyscrapers in the SSP database. Imagine if half of those get built in a very short period LOL.

Old Posted Today, 8:25 PM

I found this extremely informative

Details the 25 Urban Centres in GTA and their growth plans

https://www.gta-homes.com/urban-growth-centres/

Gotta expand to the very end for Vaughan

Old Posted Today, 9:10 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is the Vaughan diagram: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=105077332

There are 91 skyscrapers on the list.

Old Posted Today, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I found this extremely informative

Details the 25 Urban Centres in GTA and their growth plans

https://www.gta-homes.com/urban-growth-centres/

Gotta expand to the very end for Vaughan
The Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Growth Plan is for a 0.5km x 1.5km strip of land located in the middle of an industrial area and it is surrounded by freeways and a giant rail yard. Don't expect too much to come out of it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations