HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:28 PM

Image from this delicious website: https://www.eater.com/2014/7/8/61989...als-in-chicago

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:40 PM
The City

^ Italian beefs are delicious, but somehow that pic doesn't really do it justice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ sweet is ok.

but you really ought to go hot.

hot & sweet is an acceptable compromise.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ sweet is ok.

but you really ought to go hot.

hot & sweet is an acceptable compromise.
Oooh yeah!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:49 PM

My two cents. Take all of them so I can afford to live in a cool city. The people coming here for tech jobs make this city a really lame one to live in. So take them Chicago. Good riddance.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:52 PM
The City

Italian beef is best with a nice side cup of Au Jus and plenty of hot giardaniera peppers, on this point I agree

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:22 PM

1. The tech scene in the city of Chicago is way too clubby and provincial. When I started 20 years ago out at Motorola in the undiverse suburbs, there were an order of magnitude more women and PoC working as engineers and engineering managers than I see now, in the diverse city and downtown. Instead of trying to lure more tech bros from Texas, these companies should be hiring talent that already lives here.

2. Taxes are not a real issue for people with tech worker salaries. In Texas, property taxes are every bit as obscene as Illinois, except that they are far more uniformly bad in Austin. If you choose to pay $20k in property tax in Illinois, well, that was a choice you made. Chicago taxes are half those in the suburbs, and each suburb is very different. I live in a suburbs that doesn’t even charge a property tax (just the base county and base school rates). And ask any tech worker in California making $250k+ if they’d like to trade their income tax for the 4.95% flat tax only on their federal AGI. LOL

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
1. The tech scene in the city of Chicago is way too clubby and provincial. When I started 20 years ago out at Motorola in the undiverse suburbs, there were an order of magnitude more women and PoC working as engineers and engineering managers than I see now, in the diverse city and downtown. Instead of trying to lure more tech bros from Texas, these companies should be hiring talent that already lives here.
Yeah. Chicago already has the tech talent. They just need to seed the new startup ventures, and have the strings attached be that the companies be located in Chicago.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post

2. Taxes are not a real issue for people with tech worker salaries. In Texas, property taxes are every bit as obscene as Illinois, except that they are far more uniformly bad in Austin. If you choose to pay $20k in property tax in Illinois, well, that was a choice you made. Chicago taxes are half those in the suburbs, and each suburb is very different. I live in a suburbs that doesn’t even charge a property tax (just the base county and base school rates). And ask any tech worker in California making $250k+ if they’d like to trade their income tax for the 4.95% flat tax only on their federal AGI. LOL
Italian beef is best with a nice side cup of Au Jus and plenty of hot giardaniera peppers, on this point I agree

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions