HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Are car alarms a necessity, noise pollution or something in between?
Noise pollution 27 61.36%
A necessity to prevent theft 4 9.09%
Both 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:29 PM

Car alarms have been banned in NYC/Manhattan, I believe, since 2004. Too much vandalism make them illegal.

Prior to that, somebody awakened by a car alarm, living on the 22nd floor of a high rise, would go downstairs, throw eggs at the car, slice the tires, pull wires, throw feces at it, scratch the paint, or do other damage to the vehicle.

Also, police sirens have been banned in NYC/Manhattan as well. Only Fire truck and Ambulance sirens are allowed.

Bloomberg was on a campaign to make NYC the quietest major city in the country. even having city workers go around with decimeters to see whether or not your A/C unit was producing too many decibels.

By the Way, I've been a long term member of NoiseFree (America) org.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

(Night riding) Motorcycles with ear-splitting exhaust noise, and prickup trucks with modified pipes.

I fucking hate them both, and wish these vehicles would be impounded and the owners fined to the absolute maximum possible.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 6:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Car alarms have been banned in NYC/Manhattan, I believe, since 2004. Too much vandalism make them illegal.

Prior to that, somebody awakened by a car alarm, living on the 22nd floor of a high rise, would go downstairs, throw eggs at the car, slice the tires, pull wires, throw feces at it, scratch the paint, or do other damage to the vehicle.

Also, police sirens have been banned in NYC/Manhattan as well. Only Fire truck and Ambulance sirens are allowed.

Bloomberg was on a campaign to make NYC the quietest major city in the country. even having city workers go around with decimeters to see whether or not your A/C unit was producing too many decibels.

By the Way, I've been a long term member of NoiseFree (America) org.
That's not true. I hear police sirens in New York all the time. They sound different (rumbler sirens) than regular sirens; deeper and less piercing.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Why have a car alarm, when you can have THE CLUB?

The way I look at it, if my car is stolen and not recovered, that's why I have insurance.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
(Night riding) Motorcycles with ear-splitting exhaust noise, and prickup trucks with modified pipes.

I fucking hate them both, and wish these vehicles would be impounded and the owners fined to the absolute maximum possible.
Rice burner, street racer, Fast n Furious types too.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:35 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Rice burner, street racer, Fast n Furious types too.
Yeah, someone needs to get the message out that a riced out 2002 Civic with a fart can sounds like crap.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^the people driving such mechanical assholes should be put into the pillory or the stocks, so that we can all take turns flinging rotten fruit or feces at their faces.

Admittedly that is a bit extreme, but I really hate how assholishly loud exhaust systems ruin swathes of time, every single day and night.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:

It's always the damn motorcycles in my neighborhood. These people need to get it through their heads that peeling down the street in an extremely loud motorcycle at 12:00 AM is not cool, it is obnoxious as hell!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^the people driving such mechanical assholes should be put into the pillory or the stocks, so that we can all take turns flinging rotten fruit or feces at their faces.

Admittedly that is a bit extreme, but I really hate how assholishly loud exhaust systems ruin swathes of time, every single day and night.
Your post: LOL! Do you live next to a highway or something? You hear those things 24/7.

I had to deal with rice burners zooming by on my residential street from time to time, but it wasn't a constant thing, just some high school kid with a Honda that the parents gave up the family car to him and he tricked it out with his wages while working at Subway.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Your post: LOL! Do you live next to a highway or something? You hear those things 24/7.

I had to deal with rice burners zooming by on my residential street from time to time, but it wasn't a constant thing, just some high school kid with a Honda that the parents gave up the family car to him and he tricked it out with his wages while working at Subway.
The riced out ones are usually Subaru's near where I live. There's also a riced out PT Cruiser in my neighborhood which is a......decision considering that the standard PT looks like this;

autoinfluence

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:59 AM

Quote:

One of the last updates I rec'd from NoiseFreeAmerica is there's one major city in Canada that now possesses Noise Radar, just like Speed Radar. You pass one of these radar spot and a picture is taken of your vehicle and you receive a ticket in the mail, just like they do with Speed Radar.

My biggest bugaboo is loud stereo's in cars, boom cars, which Noise Free refers to as Noise Terrorists.

Thank God they're cracking down on these terrorists, where there are certain jurisdictions in the country fining these Noise Terrorists up to $2500. I believe it's Oregon where the fine for loud music in cars is $1500, and it's statewide.

According to NoiseFree, back under Reagan, the Noise department of the EPA was eliminated. Let's hope Biden reinstates that as Noise is a health issue, pure and simple.

It's quite easy to get rid of one of these Noise Terrorists in your neighborhood (at night that is) with a little daring and do. Remember that old hair creme commerical: A little dab will do you! And no permanent damage to the vehicle!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That's not true. I hear police sirens in New York all the time. They sound different (rumbler sirens) than regular sirens; deeper and less piercing.
Last time I was in NYC/Manhattan, in 2009, I didn't hear one police siren so perhaps they've change the rules. I also didn't hear one Loud stereo boom car either.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:45 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I hear super loud cars and motorcycles (and pedicabs, for that matter) all the time cruising in the loop, although I don't live in a good place if you like silence. Between the L and the sound the bus makes when it kneels down, it would be loud even without the douchebags making noise.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:42 PM
Never Dell

God, all this stuff pisses me off.

But it's gotten much better. Some of that is moving, and some is cracking down.

I live in on the edge of Downtown Seattle. A long time ago I moved to the interior of a block, above an alley that only serves a couple parking garages, not retail.

I do hear street noise from the end of the alley 60 feet away. Occasionally there's a car alarm, loud stereo, or loud motorcycle (or group of 20), but those seem far less common. Dogs are the worse problem, but my building cracks down on barking.

Since things are generally good, I find I can deal with the exceptions with less angst.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:39 PM

I bought a vacant lot several years ago that came with a broken-down car. The first time I mowed the grass I bumped into a deflated wheel and an alarm went off. It was hard to hear over the sound of the mower, but still, it was amazing.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; May 30, 2021 at 6:23 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions