HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The 410 should at least be designated a bit south of the 401 to where it curves by the Eastgate Parkway / Cawthra Road interchange.
This is one of those things that makes sense on the face of it when looking at a map, but would actually make the situation more confusing for drivers rather than less.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The main issue is that, heading north/east, the mainline of 403 goes straight to 401; you need to get in the collector to go to the 410.
=====
Just curious, if anyone here used to go to Buffalo, N.Y., which crossing would you prefer? Lewiston via 405 or Fort Erie via QEW?
Ps: Sometimes I wonder if QEW changed terminus twice: originally at Lewiston, then at Niagara Falls, then finally at Fort Erie. I’m basing that on the left-hand exits.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
This is one of those things that makes sense on the face of it when looking at a map, but would actually make the situation more confusing for drivers rather than less.
How would it be more confusing if the 410 was extended all the way to the QEW?

Now, if the government were to take back the 407 from Hamilton to the 403 exchange, and give the 403 south of the 407 exchange, and then extend the 403 to the 427, that would really fix the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The main issue is that, heading north/east, the mainline of 403 goes straight to 401; you need to get in the collector to go to the 410.
=====
Just curious, if anyone here used to go to Buffalo, N.Y., which crossing would you prefer? Lewiston via 405 or Fort Erie via QEW?
Ps: Sometimes I wonder if QEW changed terminus twice: originally at Lewiston, then at Niagara Falls, then finally at Fort Erie. I’m basing that on the left-hand exits.
Fort Erie. It is all freeway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:58 PM

I usually cross at the Peace Bridge.

I find the queue is usually the longest at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, and I also like to avoid the toll on the Grand Island Bridges.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:58 PM

We usually pull up the border wait times and decide on that. I usually cross at Q-L, but it also depends on where I'm going.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
We usually pull up the border wait times and decide on that. I usually cross at Q-L, but it also depends on where I'm going.
That can also be a factor, especially in that area with the multiple crossings.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh right, I think there’s an electric board showing that at the 401-403 split by Woodstock. For a moment I was like, “I thought only Vancouver (White Rock to be exact) has these.”

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:23 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Same - depended on where I was going. If heading west, or destination in downtown, I'd use the Peace Bridge.
If heading east, Q-L, or Rainbow bridge. Rainbow is often a good choice.

There was a time, the Whirlpool bridge was the best choice if you wanted to cross quickly. However, it's now Nexus only.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I usually cross at the Peace Bridge.

I find the queue is usually the longest at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, and I also like to avoid the toll on the Grand Island Bridges.
My experience is the opposite, but it’s pretty limited I admit.

I went to a leafs game in buffalo maybe 5 years ago and I remember the lineup at the border at the peace bridge afterwards was something like 30 mins but 2 mins at Q-L.

The toll Canada bound on the Q-L keeps traffic lower though. US bound is more of a mix as it’s toll free.

I highly recommend nexus for those that don’t have it as well, especially if you go to the US more than once a year or so. It’s about $10 a year and saves a lot of headache.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Oh right, I think there’s an electric board showing that at the 401-403 split by Woodstock. For a moment I was like, “I thought only Vancouver (White Rock to be exact) has these.”
I see that sign a few times a day and I've never seen border times on it. It would be out of date info by the time you actually got there. We just use a phone and call up the website (US site, not Canadian site). The Woodstock sign almost always shows Highway 6 on the 401 or the Linc on 403.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 9:26 PM

I've never seen border wait times on the Woodstock sign either.

I have seen border wait times on the sign on the QEW in St. Catharines approaching the Garden City Skyway on a few occasions, though even that messaging is fairly rare from my experience.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
How would it be more confusing if the 410 was extended all the way to the QEW?
Haljackey was suggesting that it switch from 410 to 403 where it first turns 90deg to head west.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Haljackey was suggesting that it switch from 410 to 403 where it first turns 90deg to head west.
I know. That is why I wouldn't want that,
If I had the power, I would take the mess and clean it up. From QEW/Ford Drive to the 401, would get a new number. The interchange in the middle would be cleaned up so that it is free flowing. The 407 W of that mess would become 403.

2 new highways would be carved out, underground if needed.
1) A highway continues south to the QEW to have the 410 continue south in a more of less straight line.
2) An extension east to the 427. That would mean that the 403 would not be concurrent with the QEW, and it would be extended to better match where it should have gone.

Something like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...0D&usp=sharing

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 3:36 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For extension to 427 (aka the Richview Expressway), that ship has sailed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
For extension to 427 (aka the Richview Expressway), that ship has sailed.
The ship hasn't sailed, it is just not something on anyone' radar.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 3:12 PM

The Richview has definitely sailed, but that's not what was being talked about anyway, as it was to go from where the current Eglinton ramp from the 401 EB under the 427 is and go east from there. Swimmer is talking about extending the 403 east of Eastgate Parkway, essentially through Centennial Park and join up to the 427, I'm assuming at the 401 like I believe was the original intent of it. 410 south, either under Cawthra, or replacing Cawthra, would be useful, but is only a dream.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 3:26 PM

The QEW/403/410 is just weird. I get the history and the reasoning, but it's still weird.

In my hypothetical universe, the 403 runs from the QEW in Hamilton to the 401 in Woodstock.

The QEW isn't cosigned at all.

The 410 runs from the QEW in Oakville to Brampton (and further north eventually).

The 407 follows its current route, but is actually owned by the Province of Ontario.

Also in my hypothetical universe I am hugely rich and fabulously good-looking, so YMMV on how realistic I am.

Last edited by thewave46; Jun 12, 2021 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The QEW/403/410 is just weird. I get the history and the reasoning, but it's still weird.

In my hypothetical universe, the 403 runs from the QEW in Hamilton to the 401 in Woodstock.

The 410 runs from the QEW in Oakville to Brampton (and further north eventually).

The 407 follows its current route, but is actually owned by the Province of Ontario.

Also in my hypothetical universe I am hugely rich and fabulously good-looking, so YMMV on how realistic I am.
The only change I would make is for the 407 to revert to it's original plan and ending at the QEW at Oakville where the 403 currently breaks off, and that stretch of the 407 through Burlington go back to being the "free" highway it was intended to be before it was built. Call it the 410 is fine with me. The 403 would start at the Freeman and head west to Woodstock, 410 east and the QEW as current.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Richview has definitely sailed, but that's not what was being talked about anyway, as it was to go from where the current Eglinton ramp from the 401 EB under the 427 is and go east from there. Swimmer is talking about extending the 403 east of Eastgate Parkway, essentially through Centennial Park and join up to the 427, I'm assuming at the 401 like I believe was the original intent of it. 410 south, either under Cawthra, or replacing Cawthra, would be useful, but is only a dream.
Basically yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post

Only thing I would change is that I am rich. I am good looking enough.

Quote:
The only change I would make is for the 407 to revert to it's original plan and ending at the QEW at Oakville where the 403 currently breaks off, and that stretch of the 407 through Burlington go back to being the "free" highway it was intended to be before it was built. Call it the 410 is fine with me. The 403 would start at the Freeman and head west to Woodstock, 410 east and the QEW as current.
That would work as well.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:08 AM

Looking southerly along the 418 at the 401 interchange:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...un21_24x16.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario