HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 8:04 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Development Map

Here's a link to a map I developed of the new projects mentioned in this thread. Hopefully the link works ok. Chances are there are several things missing from this map.

Link

Edit: In case you missed them, there are several updates on the previous page posted today.

Edit further: Link doesn't work when I'm not signed into the account I created it on. I'll see if I can fix it, otherwise I'll try to find a way to share screenshots of it as I don't have an active photo sharing account at the moment.

Last edited by Smevo; Mar 16, 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 5:00 PM

Nice to see new projects in Cape Breton, hopefully it will bring in population also!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:54 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Not the news update I was hoping on this, but the status quo is better than nothing.

Nova Scotia extends subsidy for crumbling Cape Breton rail line

The Nova Scotia government is extending a subsidy to Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway for another year to keep the tracks in place across the island. (Tom Ayers/CBC)

The province will keep the subsidy in place while the port development continues to be pursued. The mayor mentioned there are other local businesses hoping to be able to ship things by rail, so it's not just about the container terminal.

What really needs to happen is a local purchase (government or otherwise) and upgrade of the rail line.

It's estimated there are $100M in upgrades needed on the rail line, and that figure will continue to grow until the upgrades are done. The current owner is unlikely to do it as they want the steel rails for other rail lines they own.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:19 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

MPS, Economic Strategy consultations, Library updates

CBRM is developing an economic strategy integrated with the MPS and zoning rules.

CBRM hires consultant to meld economic strategy with new planning rules

The plan being developed is called CBRM Forward. It will be a 2-year project to develop the plan, beginning with a website launch on April 6 and virtual open house April 14. What I don't know if this will be for current residents only, but I will definitely be following it.

CBRM council votes down funding for new library design study

Harbour Royale Development proposed a $32-million library for Sydney's waterfront, but CBRM council voted down a design study, saying the cost was too high. (Harbour Royale Development Ltd.)

This is a frustrating one. There's been a lot of kicking the can down the road on this, and a lot of cost-only thinking that threatens to kill what is a much needed building. Much of the increased cost, up to the building material crunch anyway, was because of new accessibility rules requiring a larger floor space to properly serve the library's intended purpose.

I watched the council meeting in January, and the only ones who seemed to talk any sense were the councillor for the downtown area (I believe it's Eldon MacDonald) who brought up the increased tax revenue from the associated developments, which were being paid for with private money, and Mayor MacDougal who reminded everybody this wasn't a discussion about building a fancy new building, it was a discussion about replacing a library (a municipal service) that was housed in a badly outdated, crumbling, poorly functioning, highly inadequate building. They kept getting hung up on the increased operating costs which would 1) be offset by taxes when the neighboring land is occupied by privately owned buildings and 2) were less/sqft than some of the current satellite locations, significantly less than a couple of these. Basically, if there isn't a new building for the central library somewhere, there won't be a central library, only satellite locations. (/rant)

Anyway, within the article, they claim the waterfront location isn't dead, but this is a major setback as they can't even ask for funding without determining the actual estimated building costs of this (or any) design in this (or any) location.

Parentheses added by me to emphasize the issue.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:50 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Speaking of kicking the can down the road...

Crumbling Cape Breton rail line has not been inspected in six years

Officials with Nova Scotia's transportation department say the crumbling rail line that runs across Cape Breton has not been inspected since it was discontinued in 2015. (Tom Ayers/CBC)

Ok, so the agreement with the subsidy money is that it's not to be used for repairs and enhancements (not that it would go far...), but

Quote:
"...the company should perform periodic inspections and maintenance as required under the Railways Act."
and

Quote:
"...rail lines that are no longer operational are not expected to remain at an operational standard, but should be inspected to a public safety standard."
but

Quote:
"...while there are operational safety standards, there are no public safety standards defined in the Railways Act or regulations."
(all emphasis is my own)

So basically, the province is paying the rail company to let the line deteriorate to a point where it becomes publicly acceptable for the company to take the steel for use in it's other rail infrastructure, and not (as was thought) to maintain the line for potential (some would say likely) near-ish future use.

:

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yikes!!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:18 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Just saw an updated picture of the NSCC construction (finally...for a guy who's work usually involves foundations, it can be annoying that people usually don't notice the progress through this stage, though I do understand why they don't). It only shows part of the building, but it appears that probably most of the grade beams are in place and they should be ready to start going vertical very soon. Hopefully we get some more frequent updates now, but if anyone is in the area and can keep an eye on it with photo updates, that would be awesome to see this one progress.

I still haven't updated my subscription (due to a lack of time as my season starts up), so I can't read the story, but apparently there was a dispute between two unions involving the site that has now been resolved.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:49 AM

Here's a photo that East Coast Metal Fabrication uploaded to their Linkedin account 6 days ago with the description:

NSCC Sydney Waterfront Campus steel erection day 1. A little bit of rain today but the steel still looks good

Nothing since though.

NSCC CAMPUS by Optimus Prime, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:54 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Thanks for that. I just followed them. Hopefully they update occasionally through the project, they have a lot of steel to put up in the next couple of years there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:27 PM

I know it's a Joneljim Construction (local Sydney group) and EllisDon Partnership.

So you may see some photos pop up through EllisDon social media accounts occasionally too. I am pretty sure Joneljim doesn't have any social media though.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:58 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

CBRM considering addition to Centre 200 arena for court sports

I think this is a good idea, but I hate the timing coming on the heels of council voting against funding the design and costing study for the library. The optics are terrible, and really both motions should have been approved imho.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 6:03 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Nova Scotia announces $3 million to revitalize downtown Sydney
Premier Iain Rankin and CBRM Mayor Amanda McDougall unveil the rendering of the Charlotte Street project in Sydney. Communications Nova Scotia

Short version, $3M from province, $3M from CBRM for wider sidewalks, fibreglass power poles, buried communication lines, single-lane one-way traffic, parallel parking spaces on both sides of the street, upgraded underground utilities.

Unrelated (sort of), Naru Sushi has updated pictures of the NSCC build on their instagram page.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 7:20 PM

Would of been nice if they would of buried the power lines too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:59 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the article.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 12:48 PM

Membertou is expanding south of Highway 125 and will be constructing a business park on the lands off of Exit 7A.

Seventh Exchange

Phase one on the 40-acre site will include development of a service
station, inclusive of a food and beverage partner, commercial business space, and
Green Diamond Equipment LTD.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 11:26 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Thanks for the link! Still a little sparse on details, as this has been in the works for a while, but very happy to see it still in the works. I'm actually not too concerned about the lack of details, Membertou knows what they're doing, and they don't hype things that don't come.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 5:34 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Derek Mombourquette, the area MLA, announced on his Facebook earlier today a new bus terminal that will help Transit Cape Breton go electric. He didn't mention where it was, but it looks like the announcement happened in Harbourside Commercial Park.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 9:02 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Makeover of Sydney's downtown commercial strip set to start next year

I really wish they'd spend the extra money to bury those power lines, especially since this kind of makeover is being called "once in a generation", which just about lines up with the timing of the previous makeover. This is a huge opportunity that's being missed, imho.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:19 PM

https://ibb.co/tqYHCtm

New NSCC construction on the Sydney waterfront.
This is building B that is under construction. Building A is the area fronted on Charlotte st. with the concrete barriers in front. Building A will connected to building B via a pedway. Building C and D will be constructed to the south of building B.

Last edited by CJSA; Jul 26, 2021 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm a bit hesitant to click on a link not knowing where it is going to take me. What is this about???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces