HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Playoff weekend is here! Get hype!

Just kidding, no one in Winnipeg is hyped for the playoffs besides the Bombers social media feeds. There seems to be just an air of resignation over the Bombers playoff chances.

But the funny thing is that I think they match up well against Calgary... the Bombers have played the Stamps well and if Collaros can hit even 200 yards passing while keeping the turnovers to a minimum, I wouldn't be shocked if there was an upset at McMahon this Sunday. Fingers crossed.
Go Big Blue!!!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Go Big Blue!!!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:45 PM

Would love to see Collaros go into Regina for the West Final and spank the Riders.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Would love to see Collaros go into Regina for the West Final and spank the Riders.
Woah Woah tabernac! Lets not get too crazy here!

Win in Calgary first guys!!!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:57 PM

they are saying minus 14 and snow for sunday in Calgary. That means lots of running the football. I am confident in our boys in blue this sunday.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
they are saying minus 14 and snow for sunday in Calgary. That means lots of running the football. I am confident in our boys in blue this sunday.
I have to admit the prospect of the annoying Bo Levi Mitchell getting bounced out of the playoffs in the first round is super tantalizing.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I have to admit the prospect of the annoying Bo Levi Mitchell getting bounced out of the playoffs in the first round is super tantalizing.
Goes for the uber-whiny Dickenson too.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:09 PM

Also, mark me down as 100% in the Alouettes camp in the East semi. Khari and company all the way. If ever there was a CFL personality in need of a good spanking, like literally spanked on the rear like a small child, it's Jason Maas.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 5:19 PM

I hope its a Winnipeg Montreal Grey Cup final

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I hope its a Winnipeg Montreal Grey Cup final
I'm pulling for a Winnipeg-Hamilton final. Someone needs to break their Grey Cup drought (and it won't be the Bombers )!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I'm pulling for a Winnipeg-Hamilton final. Someone needs to break their Grey Cup drought (and it won't be the Bombers )!
I am ok with that if it's the same outcome as the 1984 Grey Cup where the Bombers destroyed the Ti Cats 47-17 and humiliated Dieter Brock and ended their 22 year Grey Cup drought at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiQ0hEhMcQ&t=4s

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 10:06 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

You mean not everyone wants the Stamps to repeat ?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Playoff weekend is here! Get hype!

Just kidding, no one in Winnipeg is hyped for the playoffs besides the Bombers social media feeds. There seems to be just an air of resignation over the Bombers playoff chances.

But the funny thing is that I think they match up well against Calgary... the Bombers have played the Stamps well and if Collaros can hit even 200 yards passing while keeping the turnovers to a minimum, I wouldn't be shocked if there was an upset at McMahon this Sunday. Fingers crossed.
If it was a nice seasonal or slightly above average day in Calgary on Sunday - plus 5 - 7 degrees Celsius with a light wind and clear skies - I would give the Bombers a 20% chance of actually pulling out a victory. Richie Hall's soft defense likely allows Mitchell to pass for over 350 yards and around 30 - 35 points.

However, the conditions could be brutal on Sunday. Highs of -11 with snow on Sunday. With the strongest running game in the league that should provide the Bombers with a slight advantage. I will be a homer and say the Bombers have a 55% chance of winning the game.

Bombers offense stumbles accumulating 250 net yards, but the special teams is the difference - 1 kickoff returned inside the Stamps 30 yard line which is coverted by Collaros for a TD and a punt return TD by the Bombers on top of that.

Bombers 24
Calgary 17

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:06 AM

It would be better for the league if one of Saskatchewan or Winnipeg makes it to the Grey Cup. All things being equal, Calgary is probably the second or third worst tv draw. Compounding the issue is viewer fatigue with Calgary potentially being in the Grey Cup for the fifth time in 6 years

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 3:48 PM

Calgary needs a break from so many wins since the Flutie era ongoing to present day. As mentioned there is tremendous fatigue always seeing the stamps in the final. Even locally because the stamps never have losing seasons anymore their attendance keeps going down because they haven't had a rebuilding year in ages there's no pent up demand for a winner. A WPG or Sask final vs Montreal would bring in much stronger ratings this year.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Calgary needs a break from so many wins since the Flutie era ongoing to present day. As mentioned there is tremendous fatigue always seeing the stamps in the final. Even locally because the stamps never have losing seasons anymore their attendance keeps going down because they haven't had a rebuilding year in ages there's no pent up demand for a winner. A WPG or Sask final vs Montreal would bring in much stronger ratings this year.

I’m sure there is some fatigue with seeing Calgary in the Grey Cup again for Western fans (Eastern fans get a different team every year) but nowhere near the fatigue of Edmonton’s 5 boring cup run and the game day attendance story is just not the case in Calgary. Go Stamps Go! The Champ is here!

There were 30,210 fans in the stands on Friday night, and it absolutely felt like a playoff game. And that’s consistent with what’s been happening all season.
After averaging 26,339 fans per game in 2018, the Stamps are averaging 27,044 this season.

They’re not selling out every game, but ignore the people who say the CFL is losing its audience in Calgary. The numbers just don’t support that idea.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...he-roughriders

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
And it's not really a very interesting team in terms of being a dynasty, unlike the Eskimos 1978-82, because Calgary doesn't really have a lot of memorable players. It's a revolving-door team that is great at finding new talent, but who besides BLM will be remembered as the mainstays of this entire Stampeder era? Who are the Larry Highbaughs and Dave Fennells and Dan Kepleys and so forth? I guess that's an issue with the modern CFL in general.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:11 PM

It's actually staggering how long the Stamps have been dominant. Except for the brief time in the early 2000s when Feterik ran the team into the ground, they have been one of the top teams in the league for the last 30 years running.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
I’m sure there is some fatigue with seeing Calgary in the Grey Cup again for Western fans (Eastern fans get a different team every year) but nowhere near the fatigue of Edmonton’s 5 boring cup run and the game day attendance story is just not the case in Calgary. Go Stamps Go! The Champ is here!

There were 30,210 fans in the stands on Friday night, and it absolutely felt like a playoff game. And that’s consistent with what’s been happening all season.
After averaging 26,339 fans per game in 2018, the Stamps are averaging 27,044 this season.

They’re not selling out every game, but ignore the people who say the CFL is losing its audience in Calgary. The numbers just don’t support that idea.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...he-roughriders
Only reason ticket sales are very slightly up is Calgary is hosting the Grey Cup this year. Outside of when the Riders show up attendance has been very ho hum. Calgary has not even been able to sell out last years West Final and they have not sold out the labour day classic in several years now.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
And it's not really a very interesting team in terms of being a dynasty, unlike the Eskimos 1978-82, because Calgary doesn't really have a lot of memorable players. It's a revolving-door team that is great at finding new talent, but who besides BLM will be remembered as the mainstays of this entire Stampeder era? Who are the Larry Highbaughs and Dave Fennells and Dan Kepleys and so forth? I guess that's an issue with the modern CFL in general.
I would say the 90's stamps were more legendary with Flutie, Sapunjis, Allen Pitts, Jeff Garcia, and Wally as coach.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada