HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:09 AM

Am I the only one that thinks bridges on buildings make them look ugiler?

The Petronas Towers (here's a picture of them from Wikipedia: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...anorama_II.jpg) are one of the only few buildings where I think having a bridge connecting them together actually makes them look better, but otherwise I think having a bridge connecting buildings together makes them look uglier.

Here's a picture from Wikipedia of a bridge connecting 2 buildings together: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Interlaken.jpg

Doesn't that bridge make those 2 buildings look uglier?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:15 AM

As a general question, the short answer may be, "Yes", you are the only one. Bridges per se don't make buildings uglier but there are ugly bridges and attractive ones. You like an attractive one and dislike an ugly one. Nothing unusual about that.

Here's another one for your collection:

345 California Center (San Francisco), the upper floors of which house the Mandarin Oriental Hotel

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mand...ShGnYzvYMO2mM:

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:50 PM

In that second picture the bridge wasn't part of the original design and was done in a completely different architectural style making it look tacked on, or from a different building all together. It depends on the example really.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:27 PM

They just seem kind of dumb to me, Unless you are on that floor and needing to go to the other floor in the next building whats the point?

its not like it saves much time just going to the lobby, walking next door and getting a new elevator. Here is one from my hometown, most of these buildings are occupied by Law Frims adn small tech offices, there is virtually no reason for the bridge because there is no reason to use it.

And before people say "Maybe it was all the same company" A: no I dont think it was And here is a State Farm Reginal headquarters only a few miles away, 2 millionsqft of the same company without a single bridge between any of the 5 buildings.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 10:00 PM

While they may not make much sense on the 30th floor of an office tower, they're very good at connecting public spaces when there's busy roads below. Minneapolis has tons of them connecting buildings downtown. Large medical centers use them often too, like this one in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusQ View Post
While they may not make much sense on the 30th floor of an office tower, they're very good at connecting public spaces when there's busy roads below. Minneapolis has tons of them connecting buildings downtown. Large medical centers use them often too, like this one in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I thought that was more for winter than for traffic,

The bridges of the Strip are more for traffic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture