HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That is not a major reason for rental prices increases.

Barcelona and other major tourist destinations in europe are trying to pass regulations to minimized vacation rentals because it is limiting long term rentals, raising rents and forcing locals out of the cities.

Same thing is happening in prescott.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
That is not a major reason for rental prices increases.
Absolutely it can be. They are significantly limiting supply while demand remains the same, it's really smart.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:37 PM

I understand how it could be, but if you think there are 10's of thousands + air Bnb renters taking up our rental stock in Tempe and Phoenix you are kidding yourselves. Maybe during the Phoenix open and once every 4-7 years when we have the super bowl but In July? please, guys get a sense of scale. here.

We arent Barcelona or NYC, Air Bnb and other decentralized rental platforms are not a serious issue for us.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 5:44 PM

It's not about how many places are actually being rented, it's about how many are being set aside as rentals.

Once the complex furnishes them and places them for rent they are in the short-term inventory. I know that the big complex on the NEC of 3rd and Roosevelt has a couple dozen short-term rentals. Let's say that diminishes their inventory by 20 units, if every building has a similar number then that all adds up.

I don't think anyone here is making this out to be as big a problem as you think we are saying, but it absolutely 100% is a real thing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:37 PM

There was a recent article on azcentral about this in Sedona. This is a real problem and actually needs to be addressed. Rectal stock being set aside for airbnbs is absolutely artificially inflating rents in the valley. Hell Tempe is turning into a mini San Francisco at this point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azc...amp/1811064001

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:01 PM

I still think the market will self regulate this situation. The Complexes will only set aside rentals as long as they can rent them out and make = to or more than the cost to lease to full time tenants. If they are setting aside a dozen units that means they are getting enough constant Air BnB renters to be worth while.

I still dont see how this is an issue at all other than it messes with statistics because these units arent classified as hotels or rentals.

This comes down to an economic vs social argument, the actual owners of the building are renting the units in a way that is best for them, you personally think that long term tenants are socially better for the local area for whatever reason, so you want the city to step in and force apartments to lease even if that means there could be vacant units for years or force some developers out of the market all together.

I dont think this kind of regulation is in the long term beneficial to anyone, these are the kinds of things that make NYC and San Francisco unbearably expensive.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I still think the market will self regulate this situation. The Complexes will only set aside rentals as long as they can rent them out and make = to or more than the cost to lease to full time tenants. If they are setting aside a dozen units that means they are getting enough constant Air BnB renters to be worth while.

I still dont see how this is an issue at all other than it messes with statistics because these units arent classified as hotels or rentals.

This comes down to an economic vs social argument, the actual owners of the building are renting the units in a way that is best for them, you personally think that long term tenants are socially better for the local area for whatever reason, so you want the city to step in and force apartments to lease even if that means there could be vacant units for years or force some developers out of the market all together.

I dont think this kind of regulation is in the long term beneficial to anyone, these are the kinds of things that make NYC and San Francisco unbearably expensive.
Ducey is going to ask the legislature take a second crack at this, since residents think this is a bit of an issue (at least in Sedona). I think making folks pay the same kinds of hotel taxes, and making sure owners follow HOA rules would be the minimum. It evens the playing field. I prefer these rentals to empty housing, but we shouldn't be using technicalities to avoid paying for the social cost of particular transactions. AirBnB, after all, is a form of BnB. The law should be enforced that way. Beyond that, we shouldn't put anything extra that we wouldn't put on the industry generally. That's bad for business.

FWIW, zoning is the cause of so much expensiveness. Relax it more, so that people can build a wider range of housing. Free the market, and the prices will follow. Beyond that, I will defer to people far smarter than me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
This is where specialty smaller retail and locally owned shops could be successful. Visitors will always want something tangible during their visit. Downtown could really use the kind of shops like the ones you will find in Old Town or the 5th Ave for items such as shirts, trinkets, wind-chimes or even key-chains and fridge magnets. As many visitors that come to PHX for conventions, sports games, the occasional super-bowl or what-not, I'm sure these tourists shops would do fairly well.
Well, Flag World is there at least

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:44 PM

https://www.asianhospitality.com/new...el-in-phoenix/

Quote:
NEWCRESTIMAGE HAS BROKEN ground on a 199-room, 13-floor AC Hotel by Marriott in Phoenix. The upscale hotel, scheduled to open in 2021, will be the first for the Dallas-based company in the western U.S.

The Phoenix AC Hotel, a joint venture with Las Vegas-based LaPour Partners, will be in Arizona Center, a million-square-foot mixed use site with shopping, entertainment, dining, and office space. It will include 3,400 square feet of meeting space, including two media salons and a board room.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
I think making folks pay the same kinds of hotel taxes, and making sure owners follow HOA rules would be the minimum. It evens the playing field. I prefer these rentals to empty housing, but we shouldn't be using technicalities to avoid paying for the social cost of particular transactions. AirBnB, after all, is a form of BnB. The law should be enforced that way. Beyond that, we shouldn't put anything extra that we wouldn't put on the industry generally. That's bad for business.
Airbnb already does this. Airbnb collects all state and local taxes on behalf of the host and remits the taxes to the state. There is already an even playing field with hotels.

HOAs are likewise not an issue for Airbnb. It is up to the HOA to promulgate their own CC&Rs and enforce them. HOAs are already active in this and are enforcing their own rules. My HOA, which was developed long before Airbnb, has short term rental rules in its CC&Rs and there are no Airbnbs in my neighborhood to my knowledge. If there was, a neighbor would likely complain to the HOA and the HOA would shut it down.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:43 PM

This is how you deal with Airbnb taking your city over:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/rahms...ve-23-percent/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:12 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:13 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Nice. Should be decently tall enough to be visible from the freeway.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:21 PM
Modulator

On a side note, I think we could potentially see 8 to 12 cranes in the skyline by the end of the year depending on how fast a few other developments move. But 8 at the very least. Going to get busy!

Downtown:
1. Kenect
2. X Phoenix (possibly may need 2 cranes?)
3. Wexford
4. McKinley
5. AC Hotel
6. Aspire
7. The Fillmore
8. Hines
9. Link 2

Midtown:
1. Creighton
2. Novel
3. Columbus/Central

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
On a side note, I think we could potentially see 8 to 12 cranes in the skyline by the end of the year depending on how fast a few other developments move. But 8 at the very least. Going to get busy!

Downtown:
1. Kenect
2. X Phoenix (possibly may need 2 cranes?)
3. Wexford
4. McKinley
5. AC Hotel
6. Aspire
7. The Fillmore
8. Hines
9. Link 2

Midtown:
1. Creighton
2. Novel
3. Columbus/Central
Now with AC Hotel moving, hopefully Palmcourt Tower gets going too!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:22 PM

statuses on each of the projects above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Now with AC Hotel moving, hopefully Palmcourt Tower gets going too!
i have seen the heights for each of the projects below . it would be nice if you had the estimated height listed.. and the status of each project...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 PM

Ronnie Foos has homework!!!!!!! it would be nice if you had the estimated height listed.. and the status of each project

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromphoenix View Post
i have seen the heights for each of the projects below . it would be nice if you had the estimated height listed.. and the status of each project...
Here you go:

1. Kenect - 280'ish - under construction
2. X Phoenix - 279' for phase 1, phase 2 should be 290' - under construction
3. Wexford - 120'ish - under construction
4. McKinley - under 65' - under construction
5. AC Hotel - 156' - under construction
6. Aspire - 240' - groundbreaking within a couple months
7. The Fillmore - 65'ish - under construction
8. Hines - 291' - garage reinforcement work currently, tower construction within 2-3 months
9. Link 2 - 304' - groundbreaking 2 to 4 months

Midtown:
1. Creighton - 120' est. - Under construction
2. Novel - under 65' - under construction
3. Columbus/Central - under 65' - under construction

Other projects still in the planning process:
1. Central Station - 2 towers at 300' and 240'
2. Palm Court Tower - 315'
3. Hanny's - 280' (est)
4. Derby - 245' (in complete limbo, but still going according to the developers)
5. Meow Woof - 255'
6. The Central Park - 7 towers ranging from 250' to 389'
7. Residences at Park Central - 85'ish
8. Couple of Ro2 towers that seem to be constantly changing.
9. Couple of possible 500' + towers in a year or 2
10. Barrister/Jefferson - 350'ish (also seems to be in complete limbo. Plan review has expired, no permits have been issued)

Edit: Probably should have the last couple of posts moved to the Phoenix Development section if mods want to move the discussion?

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Sep 11, 2019 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Do that have that guy with a beard smoking weed in that picture? Lmao

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:24 PM

That picture with the weed guy must have been drawn on 4/20

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest