HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 12:36 AM

That's a main drag downtown so there's no way they're permanently closing that street off, they might be planning to have temporary road blocks, or the kind you can toggle up or down. Think about how bad the guest experience is when you have to walk up to the concert hall from the side waiting for traffic, they need something that will solve the flow of pedestrians between the buildings and improve the entry experience. How about an underground bridge?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Thanks for that graphic that's a neat way to see into the future of LA, I am curious how it might look if you took some buildings away for a more conservative estimate to see what it might actually look like then. Maybe assume only 1 maybe 2 yellow gets approval, whichever one(s) you think might have the best chance, maybe around 66% of the reds (proposed) get approved within a reasonable time frame, 95% blue (approved) and 100% grey (u/c).

Edit: Also, your last shot is the best one by far it shows sprawling tower growth, this helps me realize what LA could look like in 30ish years, sprawling towers and mini cities shooting up all over the basin, this includes areas like Miracle Mile, Brooklyn, Hollywood, the Arts District etc. And an incredibly long stretch of towers down Miracle Mile will connect DTLA to bigger city cores like Century City, with large towers that shine like beacons at their centers.
We have a Brooklyn now?? A bunch of brownstones will definitely make a dent in the housing crisis lol

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that graphic that's a neat way to see into the future of LA, I am curious how it might look if you took some buildings away for a more conservative estimate to see what it might actually look like then. Maybe assume only 1 maybe 2 yellow gets approval, whichever one(s) you think might have the best chance, maybe around 66% of the reds (proposed) get approved within a reasonable time frame, 95% blue (approved) and 100% grey (u/c).

Edit: Also, your last shot is the best one by far it shows sprawling tower growth, this helps me realize what LA could look like in 30ish years, sprawling towers and mini cities shooting up all over the basin, this includes areas like Miracle Mile, Brooklyn, Hollywood, the Arts District etc. And an incredibly long stretch of towers down Miracle Mile will connect DTLA to bigger city cores like Century City, with large towers that shine like beacons at their centers.
Seeing these conceptuals of towers spread across the basin without addressing our building codes keeps me from being excited about that many towers... We will continue to end up with boxy floorplans, square-ish towers, shorter heights, and bigger shadows. Jamison Services seems to be the only company to give us some curves with their Circa towers and 2900 wilshire... but these are both rare in that they sit on very large sites. With ever increasing land and construction costs, and developers needing to make a profit, Los Angeles is shooting itself in the foot with our Fat Cores. When there is less amount of land, you best believe they will box out all floor plates in LA and keep an easily repeatable plan all the way up.

I want to see curves, drama, slenderness. The US Bank tower is still my favorite building in LA, the building I dream about. It happens to be a slender-ish/non boxy tower, and we see how it has a more challenging time leasing up space because of that fat core intruding into the circular-ish floorplates. And Ms. Wilshire Grand over there... She WIDE and got curves on two sides!

This is the biggest hinderance IMO to great tower design and proliferation in Los Angeles. I'm passionate about our building codes and am thinking about creating a movement... and while I'm at it, create a movement to get all logos off my beloved Library Tower... unless its a simple "I"

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 18, 2020 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
We have a Brooklyn now?? A bunch of brownstones will definitely make a dent in the housing crisis lol
yeah yeah yeah....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Seeing these conceptuals of towers spread across the basin without addressing our building codes keeps me from being excited about that many towers... We will continue to end up with boxy floorplans, square-ish towers, shorter heights, and bigger shadows. Jamison Services seems to be the only company to give us some curves with their Circa towers and 2900 wilshire... but these are both rare in that they sit on very large sites. With ever increasing land and construction costs, and developers needing to make a profit, Los Angeles is shooting itself in the foot with our Fat Cores. When there is less amount of land, you best believe they will box out all floor plates in LA and keep an easily repeatable plan all the way up.

I want to see curves, drama, slenderness. The US Bank tower is still my favorite building in LA, the building I dream about. It happens to be a slender-ish/non boxy tower, and we see how it has a more challenging time leasing up space because of that fat core intruding into the circular-ish floorplates. And Ms. Wilshire Grand over there... She WIDE and got curves on two sides!

This is the biggest hinderance IMO to great tower design and proliferation in Los Angeles. I'm passionate about our building codes and am thinking about creating a movement
Is it the fire department alone pushing for these fat cores?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Is it the fire department alone pushing for it?
yes and LA Department of Building and Safety

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Idk about extremely dramatic, just head over to the old US Bank Tower thread and you'll see I'm one of many who shares this opinion. But hey, I'm glad you like it!

Didn't mean to send the thread so off-topic...anyways our beautiful skyline is looking T H I C C.

10159212521 by Natasha Masharova, on Flickr
Reality Check. This photo was taken over 2 years ago in May of 2018. Guess what? Oceanwide Plaza looks almost the same minus a few floors.

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:10 PM

hugh I PMed you

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 7:09 PM

Onni does more than just residential towers. They've recently completed a beautiful renovation of this historic office building on Broadway and transformed it into creative office space. WeWork is one of the tenants. It sits across the street from Geoffrey Palmer's Bulldog adorned Broadway Palace apartments

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Merritt Building has recently revealed her cleaned up facade. What a difference. She was a dirty hoe

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 19, 2020 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 7:19 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Can't wait to see the base of the Merritt Building.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:

Imagine they updated the US bank tower, blacked it out and added a 150 ft spire (no need for the helipad anymore) I think it would be a lot more popular. What would you think about it?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Imagine they updated the US bank tower, blacked it out and added a 150 ft spire (no need for the helipad anymore) I think it would be a lot more popular. What would you think about it?
That could be cool!! Imagine also using the 4 glass crown setbacks at floors 48, 57, 61, and 69 and layering them with clear/transparent LED screens that are used as architechtural lighting. The top glass crown necklace can have the corporate logo going around in the circle. This way the architectural integrity of the building is left in tact and the hard/physical logos can be taken off. Easy to install and could make a world of difference

All for new architectural guidelines that takes physical logos off towers and instead using clear/transparent screens to display them. Physical logos are so 2000's!!!!!!!!

Ms. Wilshire Grand taught us that

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 20, 2020 at 7:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 4:51 AM

Quote:
That could be cool!! Imagine also using the 4 glass crown setbacks at floors 48, 57, 61, and 69 and layering them with clear/transparent LED screens that are used as architechtural lighting. The top glass crown can have the corporate logo going around in the circle. This way the architectural integrity of the building is left in tact and the hard/physical logos can be taken off. Easy to install and could make a world of difference

All for new architectural guidelines that takes physical logos off towers and instead using clear/transparent screens to display them. Physical logos are so 2000's!!!!!!!!
Yeah I think the US Bank tower looks really great as is, but as a landmark tower in Los Angeles it should be updated to feel less 1990 and more 2020, the Wilshire Grand is a pretty good model to go off in terms of LED screens and lighting. Also, I think a spire on US Bank tower would be a perfect way of proving that the helipad requirement and flat roofs are gone for good.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Oh hell no. Lol! The USBank Tower is beautiful and timeless. The older it gets the better it looks imo. They did a fantastic job remodeling the base and lobby and also putting in the restaurant and observation deck at the top.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Onni does more than just residential towers. They've recently completed a beautiful renovation of this historic office building on Broadway and transformed it into creative office space. WeWork is one of the tenants. It sits across the street from Geoffrey Palmer's Bulldog adorned Broadway Palace apartments

The Merritt Building has recently revealed her cleaned up facade. What a difference. She was a dirty hoe

just when things were starting to jell for dtla, current events have slowed down the momentum....in cities throughout the world too.

Video Link

I wonder what the pace of change will be like over the next 5 yrs?

Since cities like nyc & sf have been at the top of the game for yrs, while dtla has been a late bloomer, does that mean dtla won't wobble as much as other cities do? or since dtla has never been as high up, will it go down even further?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 8:44 PM

Another Broadway transformation:
BEFORE
CURRENT

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:03 AM

US Bank Tower definitely needs a 150 ft spire. Its crown peaks in the skyline, and a spire will make it even better especially at night 🤩

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
just when things were starting to jell for dtla, current events have slowed down the momentum....in cities throughout the world too.

Video Link

I wonder what the pace of change will be like over the next 5 yrs?

Since cities like nyc & sf have been at the top of the game for yrs, while dtla has been a late bloomer, does that mean dtla won't wobble as much as other cities do? or since dtla has never been as high up, will it go down even further?
Yeah I believe so, LA is build on a great diversity of professions, a lot more arts and design jobs, actors, performing arts and overall creative entrepeneur jobs in LA than anywhere else in the US I believe. This city can weather the storm better than most others in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Oh hell no. Lol! The USBank Tower is beautiful and timeless. The older it gets the better it looks imo. They did a fantastic job remodeling the base and lobby and also putting in the restaurant and observation deck at the top.
I just feel like the spire would be a funny way of getting back at Wilshire for cheating on the height, and US Bank's crown is perfect for a spire, not a helipad. How can you disagree?!

Edit: Here I edited a 3d picture of the US Bank tower for fun, made it black, added to the crown and added a spire.

It looks a lot more imposing... not sure if it looks better or if it belongs in LA.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jun 21, 2020 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
A few days late, Urbanize did an update on Gehry's The Grand project:
View looking north on Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Well above ground now.

Video Link

I was texted this vid a short while ago....reminds me of how competitive everyone & everyplace has become....it's not the architectural style or other details of this new proj in russia that impressed me....it's the amt of time & $$$ put into big projs, & how professional things are, in countries that aren't thought of as 'whoa'. Although Russia did have an advanced space prog yrs ago that was on the heels of NASA.

Makes me think of the time I saw photos of the skyline of a city in northern brazil I had never heard of. It was Recife, brazil....not even rio or Sao Paulo. even a city like Recive can make dtLA seem like it's barely keeping up.

Video Link

Quote:
edit: June 14.....MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia inaugurated on Sunday a huge new cathedral dedicated to its armed forces that had caused controversy over initial plans to decorate its interior with mosaics depicting Russian President Vladimir Putin and Soviet-era leader Joseph Stalin. Russian Orthodox Church officials said last month neither would be depicted in the cathedral.

The richly decorated 95-metre high cathedral, dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany in World War Two, was built in less than two years in a theme park about 55 kilometres (34 miles) from Moscow.
how long is the oceanwide proj on fig taking to be completed? At least the grand ave proj is under construction....planned since disney hall was completed in 2003. but better late than never.

Last edited by citywatch; Jun 21, 2020 at 5:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations