HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 3:19 AM

Local paper's take on the entryway construction starting.

http://www.trivalleycentral.com/casa...a4bcf887a.html

Nothing really new that I hadn't posted. I was correct a couple of posts ago that the preliminary plats they will be bringing before the city planning commission this week are for the building itself, the business hotel (not the resort hotel complex - that is a later phase), and the SOHO style apartments (mixed use which was a nice surprise).

Otherwise just a couple of comments from a Phoenixmart representative giving updated timelines etc....

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:42 PM

I don't have an online image storage account - so cannot post images here directly. But there are a few new pics of the entryway work going on here on the Phoenixmart FB page. (if someone else wants to cut/paste them to their account and then post them here that's fine...I just have no other need for an online account for images)

https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixMart

If you take a look, remember there are TWO of the wall signs being built (one on each side of the entrance roads) and then the 14' logo statue will go on top of the pole in the other pictures. I believe the logo feature will eventually be surrounded by water - but I am not sure that will occur with this initial work and may need to wait until the final building permit is issued.

But no question this will be the closest thing to a "Class A" project in Casa Grande - the entryway work reminds me of something I would see in Irvine or Newport Beach, CA with its scope.....or some of the higher end Tempe stuff....

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:01 AM

OK - so I am bored and remembered I do have an imageshack account so here are a couple pics of this thing.....though Im not sure who cares until its done I guess based on the fact I m the only one commenting....OTOH I guess there isn't a lot to comment ABOUT!

Photo credits : Phoenixmart Facebook Page

Last edited by sh9730; Jul 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:15 PM

This project is really weird I think for most people. It doesn’t get a lot of press and seems like one of those far-fetched pie-in-the-sky visionary projects that produce nice renderings and never gets built.
It is mostly being done by foreign (Chinese) investment correct?
It still doesn’t make sense that a wholesaler would locate in Casa Grande over say, east mesa by the Gateway airport, or out in the west valley with other distribution centers.
Maybe they are expecting train access?
I don’t know; when they build more than a sign I might be more interested.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:32 PM

Obadno,

Well - thanks for at least posting so I know someone is looking at the posts! LOL (although I can see from the page views people are).

Anyway - As for the lack of press - locally in the CG paper of course it gets quite a bit of coverage - I cannot speak for the Phoenix market or the trade papers (PBJ and AZBEX) although they do seem to re-post the CG Dispatch articles as they come are published.

As far as the location - Im not an expert - but I assume they have done market research to support the 150 million dollar investment they are making. As one of my earliest posts in the thread explained - two major reasons they chose CG over a more urban area is the availability and cost of a large land parcel - remember the building itself is only about 150 acres but they own a 535 acre parcel to build future phases of a combination of logistic/industrial, commercial, office, and residential. And second by being placed in an "underserved" area - the EB-5 program allows for a lower investment per person (500K vs 1m in more urban areas).

Also, though not as far along as the west valley by any means - CG is trying to capture some of that distribution center market. As another one of my threads discusses we already have the Walmart DC, and Tractor Supply Co will be building one as big or even larger starting this fall....

As I ve also said - I cant comment at the projects eventual success (though of course I am hopeful for that) beyond my belief the investors must have some confidence in the idea or they wouldn't be forking over so much money (there would be other investments in the EB-5 program they could use if getting VISAs was the only goal). But the further along they get and the more money that gets committed (the 5 million for the sewer with the city - this entryway which cant be cheap to build - contracts with McCarthy and other GCs and consultants - as well as the staff already employed etc..), the more likely the project will at least get BUILT.

After that we ll have to see what happens.....

But again - thanks for at least entering the discussion...

ETA - Also Obabno - remember this wont be a primary manufacturing location for wholesalers (at least initially though there is hope that future logistics and storage will occur), rather this is mostly a MARKETING center for wholesalers. In essence a permanent trade show booth......where buyers from various industries can visit multiple suppliers they need to purchase from in a single location....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:53 PM

I appreciate you chronicilling this development. I will be interested to see how this may have potential economic impacts to the Valley.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 PM

One of the completed signs. There is a duplicate on the other side of entryway. Just getting going on the landscaping and the lighting etc. They posted some pics of the center logo being finished at the machine shop so that is coming along.

Nothing new as far as final permitting on city agendas or the like yet - though they said it would likely be fall before that work started.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:39 AM

Looks like a pretty decent sized sign when there's people next to it for perspective.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 5:25 AM

HX,

Yeah - I think the entire entryway (two signs on each side and the logo monument in the middle) when fully landscaped and lighted will be nice.

I mainly am hopeful the entire project will be built to the same standards etc. - if it is - and I have no reason to think it wont be - it will be clearly the nicest project in CG - and maybe all of Pinal County...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:41 PM

I can't get over the name. I know the thought process behind it has been explained, but to anyone else, it just sounds semi-ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM

Reminds me of Swap-Mart, both in the name and the concept.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:33 PM
Skyriser

No different from the Chicago Merchandise Mart, which is exactly what this project is trying to emulate.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:08 AM

Been a pretty quiet month on this project front - I do see they have updated their website a bit and seem to be making a push for leasing now with several "come and see us" dates listed in the Midwest etc. at various hotels.

Also - couple pretty cool pics of the entryway work and the project site taken from the air with a DRONE on their facebook page. Kinda cool.....

https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixMart

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:53 AM

So, I should have waited another day to post updates.

Their website provides some pretty good details as to where they are:

http://phoenixmart.com/construction-updates/

"Building Plans and Site Approvals

The City of Casa Grande approved the Preliminary Plat in July. The Final Development Plan and Final Landscape Plan are under review by the City. The Final Plat will be submitted in August to begin the review and approval process.

Building construction drawings are complete and pending internal review will be submitted to the City for review after the Fire Model is approved by the City.

Utilities

Agreements are in development with Electric, Water, Sewer and Gas to serve the site. The electric agreement with ED2 is under review by the ED2 Board in September. The water master plan was completed in July and the master water agreement will be negotiated in the coming month. Sewer design for the offsite installation is underway. The City received proposals for a CMAR and will award the contract after the design is complete. Discussion with Southwest Gas continues.

Welcome Center

Progress continues for the Welcome Center at City Gate. The City approved tenant improvement plans and construction passed several inspections on those improvements. Two areas provide space for visitors to stop in, experience a replica of the suite layout and talk to leasing experts. "

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 10:18 PM

Grind, Grind, Grind! That's the way of this project.....

One of the construction contractors (Layton) has placed a trailer on the property...not sure what they can do just yet as there are still some city approvals to be had.

However, that process does appear to be moving along....there is a Planning Commission item to change some land use designations on this scheduled for their early October meeting:

http://www.casagrandeaz.gov/files/20...10-02-2014.pdf

I am not exactly sure why the change - as one of the VERY FIRST steps in this process several years ago was to change the land use from the original mainly residential planned use, to this project. Maybe there is some of the land in their project that even they had planned to be residential that they now would rather have be commerce or something....not sure....guess we ll find out at that meeting.

Then they have a SPECIAL Planning meeting scheduled two weeks later as these type of amendments require two public hearings...followed by the actual City Council hearing in early November.

So, when the City does have the opportunity to speed up the processes (i.e. special planning meeting instead of waiting 2 more weeks for their normal meeting, and immediate scheduling of the Council meeting afterwards), they do seem to expedite things.

However, unless there is some infrastructure work that can be done - I am not sure what the Layton crews can do before the actual Major Site Plan and building permits have been approved and issued. Maybe they are going to do some at risk work as they did with the signs as discussed above.

But, they are still moving ahead....

P S - on an unrelated note - at that same Planning meeting in October they are scheduled to approve the Major Site Plan for the TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY distribution center. As a reminder this is a 600K+ SF distribution center. Given this development I would anticipate construction beginning by year end. And the large commercial bakery facility (200K SF) also has an item for some land platting or something at that same meeting. These two projects are touted to create about 500 or so jobs between them - plus the Phoenixmart - CG is about to have some real job opportunities in 2015.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:40 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Was this asked already, SH9730, why are you so excited about this otherwise unremarkable project? Do you live nearby?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 5:34 AM

Hoover - yes I do live nearby - and if you consider several thousand jobs (potentially 9K or more if all the expectations are met) and a building that will be the largest single story structure in the country - unremarkable. OK.

However, I do think it is pretty remarkable - especially when you add in its location and the impact it very well could have on this entire pinal and sun-corridor (whether a fan or not) region.

But I am not connected with the project at all....

Others have commented they appreciate the updates - and since not so many of you have as easy access to the daily goings on of CG like I do...I post.

I am not even the one who initially started this thread....just kind of became it's manager due to my proximity to the project.

If a bunch of you start saying you don't care - I ll stop.....but as I said - several here have said they appreciate the updates.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 2:48 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I'm not upset with you for posting, post away

It just seems like a weird project, in a sprawling location, that will likely employ a fraction of the numbers they estimate and mostly at low wage positions. Though perhaps I don't understand the scope.

As far as the "Sun Corridor" goes, I think its a joke. I'll kill myself if Phoenix and Tucson ever connect via sprawl. The whole Mega region notion is just cartographers getting excited about drawing blobs on maps and has very little baring on reality in my estimation.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 4:43 PM

I agree with Hoover, I kinda have to since my real last name is Hoover. It does seem like a very big project in a fairly remote area. I do read sh9730's posts and I wish all the best for the project.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 6:36 PM

Hoover - You got me thinking about the "scope" of the project and your possible misunderstanding.

First let me say I am not saying here that they WILL accomplish all of this or in what time frame- but would be awesome if they DID. I do think it is POSSIBLE - and as I have said in earlier posts I would like to think that the people investing 150 million bucks into this have done their homework.

BUT, as a reminder of the entire idea - the Phoenixmart building itself is only about 100 acres of the 585 acre parcel that AZ Sourcing (Phoenixmart parent) owns.

But to start with lets just say the building itself only gets 50% leased (my understanding is they are already beyond that but whatever) - even then - at 1 person working per booth that is about 900 people - plus lets say another 100 at least to run the building (maintenance, IT, food services, billing and admin etc..) - so that's 1000 jobs.

However, the plan is that the building itself is just the catalyst for the surrounding amenities. Even the first phase will include a 200 room business hotel, and another 200 unit SOHO condo/apt complex. More jobs here...

Then the next phase is a logistics component where they expect that many of the companies marketing their products at the Phoenixmart center will want to store some of the product nearby for faster delivery etc. There is 40 million sq ft of warehouse space anticipated in Phase II.

Phase III is moving towards the higher end of things with a resort hotel complex and class A office space (currently envisioned as mid-rise buildings) and the like.

Finally phase 4 is a more traditional (though smaller lot sized) residential component....

It is possible of course that pieces of each of these phases could overlap if/when need arises...

So, this is more than just the building itself. The developers are HOPING that this "North American Trade City" (or something close to that) will feed upon itself as it has in the other similar projects they are modeling this after.

Again - big ambitions - I get it - but that's why they have the 585 acres.... BTW - other land near this project site has skyrocketed in price already - so the thought is ancillary development (but not done by AZ SOURCING) will also occur. So, if all of this gets done in a reasonable time frame it will have an impact.

The future phases of this project of course wont take so much time to develop if the demand arises since so much of the delay in this first phase is all the infrastructure - which will then be in place for future phases and any other nearby development.

AZ SOURCING also owns the old outlet mall along I 10 at the south end of CG. They are remodeling that now and have renamed it "City Gate". Initially the façade is just getting a facelift and they are taking several suites and making a "mini-phoenixmart" where they will have examples of the booths that will be available at the main building etc. to assist with leasing promotions etc. (This work is already permitted by the city and is going on now). They will not be kicking out any of the few remaining retail outlets there for awhile yet - but they also own 30+ acres behind the outlet mall and the goal is to build hotels/retail/residential in that space to set up a gateway into CG from the south via I8 or I10.

So, they do seem to be making an investment in the area as a whole...only time will tell whether their visions become reality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest