HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:49 PM
Urban Thinker

I guess what I was trying to say was that we don't just need tall buildings. I have nothing against them!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I guess what I was trying to say was that we don't just need tall buildings. I have nothing against them!
That's how I read your comment too - I see it as a piece in the puzzle. There are still more pieces to put in place.

For me, I don't have an issue with a tall building - I just have no faith in this developer considering their history. Frankly, if this were to go ahead and make it to an approval I'd be surprised if we'd see anything happen considering their problems.

But I do agree with someone123 - the rampart's bylaw seems a bit odd. But perhaps it's all part of the grand regulations that try to protect the harbour view, despite the fact it's already compromised.

Perhaps the compromise is that it be revisted and a few taller buildings around fenwick be allowed and around this particular spot to cover up the wonderful oil refinery? And Cogswell - but then everywhere else there is a cap? I don't know what the 'right' solution is...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's important to be careful about framing these issues.

In Halifax developments like this are often framed in terms of "why should we allow this building?" when really the developer would be doing the work and the burden of proof should be on people who do not want the new building. Most people are essentially unaffected by new construction.

The very common "we don't need more condos" line is related and totally baffling to me. Who is "we"? If you don't want a condo you don't have to buy one. People who buy condos do need them -- everybody needs a place to live. That whole perspective makes very little sense.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
The sad reality is... we aren't even talking about "tall buildings" here... sure Skye and Twisted Sisters would be in the tall category, but there is also constant opposition against mid-rise developments, less than 20 stories. The YMCA project is a prime example.

Skye is a bit over the top for me, but the twisted sisters would have been built and we wouldn't even be talking about this if there weren't all of these groups acting independently, but somewhat in concert, in the downtown and peninsular Halifax. If its not heritage, its the b/s kids and community argument, or even condo owners in nearby "tall" buildings who don't want to lose "their view".

If the 19 story building on Robie isn't approved, we've got a serious problem in this city because if they don't allow density there... where is it going to go? I see major sprawl on the horizon for the city.
Anything north of North Street is well away from the downtown and should be fair game for height.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Tall residential buildings = more people living downtown.

I don't think I've ever heard a good compelling reason why we shouldn't have tall buildings in general. We are all members of a skyscraper forum. Maybe those who don't like tall buildings should find the low-rise forum.
We're on a skyscraper forum? Hopefully this doesn't mean any of us are biased

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
For me, I don't have an issue with a tall building - I just have no faith in this developer considering their history. Frankly, if this were to go ahead and make it to an approval I'd be surprised if we'd see anything happen considering their problems.
I don't expect the 48 storey towers to be built either but I don't think it's appropriate for the city to withhold development permits because they don't think a private developer can handle funding the construction of a new building on land they own. The banks already do a much better job of that than council could ever hope to.

The best way to avoid this situation would have been for the city to use a Sister Sites style process back in 2005 or whenever it was that the TexPark lot was sold off. Once the lot is sold to a private owner with no strings attached it is too late.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Since there is so little space between Citadel Hill and the waterfront boardwalk, a tall building (and the ones that would follow thereafter) would shorten the span of daylight considerably for this area. I am uncertain if this would have any deleterious affect on businesses; perhaps during the summer?

Compared that with potentially lost revenue from denying taller developments.

How vital is Halifax's 'smallness' in attracting tourists? I would argue very much so. Ultimately there is no way to truely find out. I'm concerned that Halifax, which I see as a very unqiue city, could break its physical character and join the endless number of cities will massive skyscrapers. I know many here would be thrilled about this -- and that's fine.

Halifax needs to focus on more infill, more density. To suggest all the land on the peninsula is gone is rubbish. Sprawl will continue via Halifax's poor tax code -- not from a lack of peninsular land on which to develop.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Since there is so little space between Citadel Hill and the waterfront boardwalk, a tall building (and the ones that would follow thereafter) would shorten the span of daylight considerably for this area. I am uncertain if this would have any deleterious affect on businesses; perhaps during the summer?
Are you serious?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Are you serious?
Didn't mean to throw you through a loop.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:23 PM

I'm still waiting for a good compelling reason why we shouldn't have tall buildings in downtown Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:26 PM
BANNED

^

Hold your breath

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:46 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:

Compared that with potentially lost revenue from denying taller developments.

How vital is Halifax's 'smallness' in attracting tourists? I would argue very much so. Ultimately there is no way to truely find out. I'm concerned that Halifax, which I see as a very unqiue city, could break its physical character and join the endless number of cities will massive skyscrapers. I know many here would be thrilled about this -- and that's fine.

Halifax needs to focus on more infill, more density. To suggest all the land on the peninsula is gone is rubbish. Sprawl will continue via Halifax's poor tax code -- not from a lack of peninsular land on which to develop.
I agree with this 100%. Uniqueness > tall buildings. Infill should be the focus, not unrealistic (and yes, I believe this project is unrealistic) skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 9:59 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I don't think that smallness attracts tourists. In fact, I am sure that large cities attract several times more tourists than Halifax. Tourists don't seem to be avoiding NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and Toronto because of their large size.

On the other hand, I don't think that tall buildings will attract tourists to Halifax, but having more modern architecture won't keep them away either. Halifax should maintain a good balance of heritage and modern architecture without becoming mired in the past.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:18 PM

As unrealistic as this proposal may be, it would be interesting if Halifax would at least have a tall skycraper in the downtown as sort of a signiture of the skyline. Right now there is no stand out buildings that give it a large city feel. Vancouver has a similar height restriction law as Halifax, but they waved it for the Shangri-La building to give the downtown a better look, and it worked as far as I'm concerned. I wish Halifax would do the same, as the lowrise infill can cluster around them to give it a better density.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:23 PM

If developers keep swinging and missing at empty lots downtown because of Halifax's tall building phobia - even given the track record of this particular developer - then eventually they are just going to concentrate on projects outside downtown and we are left with the empty lots that we have had there for far too long. I doubt many tourists come to see the site of the former Tex-Park laying fallow for a decade or so.

As for saying anything north of North St is fair game for tall buildings - don't tell Bridget Quigley or the rest of her friends who are opposing the Robie St proposal. Or, for that matter, the 60 or so NIMBYs who came out this week to declare a proposed cell tower further uphill on Robie as The End Of The World As We Know It.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I don't think that smallness attracts tourists. In fact, I am sure that large cities attract several times more tourists than Halifax. Tourists don't seem to be avoiding NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and Toronto because of their large size.
The tourism argument is just one of a series of canards.

As you say the bigger cities get more tourists and Halifax is not a particularly tourist-driven city. I have never seen any proof presented to show that more highrises mean fewer visitors (I suspect the opposite is true on average, particularly when talking about highrise hotels or convention centre highrises like Nova Centre).

The same thing goes for the uniqueness argument. Most of Halifax is generic short buildings. There are unique and generic tall or short buildings. Uniqueness is unrelated to building height.

Shadow and wind effects vary depending on building design, which is why engineers are hired for studies. Many of the assertions that people make about wind or sunshine are completely wrong. For example, some tall buildings reduce winds in some locations. Some locations right next to tall buildings (particularly on the south facing side) experience zero reduction in sunlight. There are many locations in Halifax where tall buildings could be constructed with minimal wind or shadow impact on nearby areas. I doubt that the Skye proposal if built would have a significant impact on the Citadel or waterfront because its shadow would be cast mostly northward. North of the Skye site there are other buildings like 1801 Hollis that already cast shadows and have presumably already devastated the city's fragile tourism sector.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I recommend this article from The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...e-city/8387/1/
Great read. There should be someone from this group at every PIM armed with quotes from this.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Shadow and wind effects vary depending on building design, which is why engineers are hired for studies. Many of the assertions that people make about wind or sunshine are completely wrong. For example, some tall buildings reduce winds in some locations. Some locations right next to tall buildings (particularly on the south facing side) experience zero reduction in sunlight. There are many locations in Halifax where tall buildings could be constructed with minimal wind or shadow impact on nearby areas. I doubt that the Skye proposal if built would have a significant impact on the Citadel or waterfront because its shadow would be cast mostly northward. North of the Skye site there are other buildings like 1801 Hollis that already cast shadows and have presumably already devastated the city's fragile tourism sector.
I don't think the potential shadow or wind effects of any development should be shrugged off though. Downtown needs more than residential density - it needs good streets, a good pedestrian environment and good public spaces to be truly vibrant. Sunlight and shelter from wind are very key to producing public spaces where people want to spend time. There's very little good public space downtown as is, we shouldn't compromise what exists or might be improved.

Walk up Spring Garden Rd. and you can see that more people use the sunny side of the street. Sunny parks get more users. Except when it's pretty hot out people like to be in the sun. Sun is not make or break for pedestrian comfort, but wind can be. See the Maritime Centre.

Why should there be restrictions or regulations on tall buildings? To protect public spaces, including streets, from too much shade or wind. It's the same reason we now regulate what you can build on the ground floor of buildings downtown - the streetscape is a public space and deserves respect. To me this is not an unwarranted government intrusion into the marketplace, but regulating private development so it does not impose unwanted side effects on common resources - in this case public spaces. Developers gain when they're located on a good street, even if their development does nothing to enhance that street.

The viewplanes, as they now exist, should be revisited. They are a mess and are written in an uncompromising way that results in poor developments - the sinking of Salters Gate and Bishops Landing below street level to get under the viewplanes by a few feet are prime examples. By ANY reasonable standard a five foot variance would have had no noticeable impact on any view from the Citadel. The fact that the view is compromised in so many places is also significant.

How many people feel there is ZERO value protecting views from the Citadel? Polls suggest a modest majority of Haligonians think the views are valuable. I would bet that the support for view protection is broad, but very shallow. People weren't asked: views or housing downtown; or views or office space; views or density. That's the real question, what are the tradeoffs we are willing to make for the views? HRMbyDesign was a miserable failure at discussing this question, since the viewplanes were one basis for the new plan.

And finally, how much density do people think we need downtown? You don't need skyscrapers to get density. The Vic is ten storeys tall, and has 82 units. Since it sits on just a third of an acre it's net density is almost 250 units/acre. The W suites is well over 100 units an acre. That's high density development, just not high rise. I doubt that land was cheap either, but I'm assuming the developers made money on these mid-rise buildings. Edward Gleaser's argument that we need skyscrapers for affordability holds in places like London, Paris, NY, where there is a huge shortage of supply and the only place to go is up. In the context of Halifax I think it's more appropriate to frame Gleaser's argument as more units are needed for affordability - we have lots of empty lots and room for infill. Plus the demand is less extreme. Don't restrict demand is the key. You can do that and still regulate the number of tall buildings.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:06 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
How many people feel there is ZERO value protecting views from the Citadel? Polls suggest a modest majority of Haligonians think the views are valuable. I would bet that the support for view protection is broad, but very shallow. People weren't asked: views or housing downtown; or views or office space; views or density. That's the real question, what are the tradeoffs we are willing to make for the views? HRMbyDesign was a miserable failure at discussing this question, since the viewplanes were one basis for the new plan.

And finally, how much density do people think we need downtown? You don't need skyscrapers to get density. The Vic is ten storeys tall, and has 82 units. Since it sits on just a third of an acre it's net density is almost 250 units/acre. The W suites is well over 100 units an acre. That's high density development, just not high rise. I doubt that land was cheap either, but I'm assuming the developers made money on these mid-rise buildings. Edward Gleaser's argument that we need skyscrapers for affordability holds in places like London, Paris, NY, where there is a huge shortage of supply and the only place to go is up. In the context of Halifax I think it's more appropriate to frame Gleaser's argument as more units are needed for affordability - we have lots of empty lots and room for infill. Plus the demand is less extreme. Don't restrict demand is the key. You can do that and still regulate the number of tall buildings.
I think when polls are conducted regarding views from the Citadel, people should be asked what they like to view from the Citadel. In my opinion, the city and all of its buildings are part of the view from the Citadel. So having tall buildings/modern architecture just adds to the view (especially at night when the building lights are on).

I think that residential density should be maximized in the downtown area. More residents will lead to more commercial development. Parking requirements could be minimized by having parking located on the perimeter, more rapid transit and shared car ownership (http://carsharehfx.ca/).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 6:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
I don't think the potential shadow or wind effects of any development should be shrugged off though.
Sure. Like I said, this is why they do wind and shadow studies, and I think that is perfectly reasonable. However, lots of people like to speculate about whether or not a new building will create wind or shadow effects in the absence of real data (or in the presence of real data they choose to ignore). Gloria McCluskey for example did this with the building she torpedoed. That is not reasonable, since wind and shadow effects are not necessarily created by new buildings. Given that developers must pay for the studies, we should only be discussing the results of those studies, not speculating. I suspect that many people prefer to speculate because they have made up their minds and are not really interested in the truth.

Quote:
And finally, how much density do people think we need downtown? You don't need skyscrapers to get density.
This is true but in the absence of problems like wind or shadow it is better to let developers build what they propose, or at least create a clear (and hopefully economically feasible) framework that allows developers to bring forward proposals that will be approved. Downtown Halifax has lost out on a lot of development because the city tends to screw around so much with developers. In the worst cases, like the Jazz condo fiasco, it feels like the city literally treats developers with contempt. And as you said, the regulations don't even tend to produce good results; the Salter developers proposed a better building originally with a reasonable looking dome on top that was scaled down to satisfy stupid rules.

I always wonder when people say "we don't need skyscrapers everywhere for density". Is this a real risk downtown? The biggest challenge right now seems to be to get any new buildings built. I think that downtown Halifax's current problems have far more to do with over-regulation than with a lack of development controls. The United Gulf site, for example, is one of available sites with no viewplanes, and already this 48 storey proposal is technically not permitted because of another stupid bylaw. Even if council were to rubber stamp every proposal at this point the outcome would be very conservative.

Last edited by someone123; Feb 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth