HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:33 PM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Renovation of an old classic. Elektrozavodskaya has been reopened after reconstruction.

several shots from russos

http://russos.livejournal.com/510936.html#cutid2















The name, Elektrozavodskaja, means "electric plant".








__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Apr 3, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:48 PM
staff's Avatar
staff staff is offline
low life in a tall place
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore.SG | Malmö.SE
Posts: 5,546
Beautiful!
__________________
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 7:51 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Your 2016 AAC Champs!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 5,755
One of the greatest things about Moscow stations is how many of them are little architectural marvels. Great station! (Although its name's a little difficult for us English-speakers to pronounce.)
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 2:29 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Line 3, APL. West extension, October 2009


Volokolamskaya

25.03.2009
from metroworld.ruz.net















__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:27 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
e recent post by coth from SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Updates:

Line 5, KolL.


Kurskaya
An old entrance was reconstructed. Ground building (exit, hidden by yellow shields) will be opened in September.

shots by Russos
http://russos.livejournal.com/574472.html#cutid1





















more pics





__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:27 AM
ColDayMan's Avatar
ColDayMan ColDayMan is offline
B!tchslapping Since 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus
Posts: 19,743
Stunning.
__________________
Click the x: _ _ X _ _!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 2:39 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Video – "Moscow Metro: world beneath daylight":

Video Link


russos, author of some pics posted here, is in the movie
__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
a few pics from FLICKR by rpa2101







































__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
staff's Avatar
staff staff is offline
low life in a tall place
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore.SG | Malmö.SE
Posts: 5,546
Absolutely breathtaking.

I visited some of those in Moscow-- I wish I would have seen them all though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 2:14 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Thank you, staff. One can always find a reason to visit Moscow again. There is lifetime worth of experiences there. For skyscraper lovers, a good time would be when Federation Tower is finished, and IBC starts looking more accomplished rather than work in progress. Probably in 1.5-2 years.

a few more pics from FLICKR by mind melter



















__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:41 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
by timurdva











by mamasaurus rex



by roha0015



by chirgy



by chirgy



by Leszek Golubinski





by *Constantine*

__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:52 AM
Krases's Avatar
Krases Krases is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,226
I am going to start reporting people for spam in a minute. These amazing palaces have nothing to do with a metro system!

__________________
There are many things money can buy. But one thing money can't buy is your momma, she's for free and everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 2:57 AM
bnk's Avatar
bnk bnk is offline
પટેલ. કે ન
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 10,802
Not to beat a dead horse[1] but this thread and this topic is sick.

I wish the US would take such pride in underground work.















These photos are kicking it anm! Keep it up





The detail in this photo is exquisit

__________________
facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:14 AM
Krases's Avatar
Krases Krases is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I wish the US would take such pride in underground work.
It would be considered a waste of taxpayer dollars and there would be public protests against it.

If I ever became a rich philanthropist, I would go around making New Yorks subway system equally regal.
__________________
There are many things money can buy. But one thing money can't buy is your momma, she's for free and everyone knows it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:36 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
early June construction update

alot more pics if you go to russos' links in the post

http://russos.livejournal.com/580539.html

http://russos.livejournal.com/578030.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Updates:

Line 3, APL. West extension, December 2009


Myakinino

early june 2009, taken by russos
http://russos.livejournal.com/580539.html










Volokolamskaya

late may 2009, taken by russos
http://russos.livejournal.com/578030.html















__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 2:51 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Myakinino June 25 update by russos

http://russos.livejournal.com/585902.html#cutid1

















__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
Marcu Marcu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,640
Nice stations. But I can't help but ask is it really necessary for government funded transit stations to be this austentatious? Are green marble pillars and walls really necessary for a subway station? Sure there is room for decoration and ornamentation in government projects. But this kind of decadence just screams unaccountable and insecure third world dictatorship. The stations seem especially shocking side-by-side with old commie block monstrosities.

Again, I am not proposing completely spartan stations devoit of any life. Just something within the mainstream.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 2:14 AM
anm anm is offline
maverick
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Planet Earth, Sun, Milky Way
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Nice stations. But I can't help but ask is it really necessary for government funded transit stations to be this austentatious? Are green marble pillars and walls really necessary for a subway station? Sure there is room for decoration and ornamentation in government projects. But this kind of decadence just screams unaccountable and insecure third world dictatorship. The stations seem especially shocking side-by-side with old commie block monstrosities.

Again, I am not proposing completely spartan stations devoit of any life. Just something within the mainstream.
It is up to you, your city and country how you like to spend your money. You get what you pay for.

Moscow metro is built by the people and for the people. People support the way it is bulit and maintatined (and they ask for more of it). When investment decisons are made in the interest of the public - it is actually what democracy had been intended for. I do not see any waste of public money here. It is not like bulding another aircraft carrier or several hundred of F-22s that are never going to be used (that is - in the best case scenario, I am an optimist )

Calling this kind of station decoration "austentatious" and "decadence" has little ground. You blow it out of proportion (without providing any numbers), as if the walls are being incrusted with diamonds.

Marble, as well as granite and other natural stones, have proven to be durable materials well worth the inital investment. It is actually economical to use them in the long run comparing to cheaper materials. Considering that these stations are expected to be in service for hundreds, if not thousands of years, investing a little more initially to create something worthwhile maintaning is well justified.

The extra cost of decoration makes only a few % of the total cost of the construction of tunnels and stations. The cost of metro construction in Russia is moderate - somewhere between $50 and $100 mln per 1 km of new metro line including station construction. This includes decoration.

Keep in mind that in Moscow (as well as in other Russian/Soviet subways) distances between stations are longer than in typical western systems. In US you will easily find stations separated by less than 0.5 mile, sometims as little as 300-400m (in Paris as well). The average distance between stations in Moscow is 1.8 km. By building fewer stations per km of tunnel they can afford to devote a few more % of the construction cost to decoration.

There are other consequences of longer distances between stations: 1) Each station has substantial costs to run it. Fewer stations >> lower operating costs. This is is one of the reasons Moscow metro pays for its own operating expenses without being subsidized by public money. Only new construction is funded be city/state and/or private investors. 2) Faster commercial speed of the system.

One aspect you seem to neglect is that Moscow metro stations are more than transit infrastructure. For many people they are, essentially, a form of self-identity, if I can express it well. If you ask a Muscovite where they live, or how to get to their place, they will 99% of time begin by telling you that you first need to get to some metro station of such and such line. Pretty much like a person in US would say that you first need to take some freeway and take some exit. The difference is - an American does not identify emotionally with with the freeway and the exit number. In Moscow people identify emotionally with the nearest station and with the metro system as whole. This is understandable, if you consider that an average Muscovite spends 25% of a day underground. It seem to me this emotional aspect alone would be sufficient reason to decorate the stations.

FYI, "commieblock monstrocities" in the picture above are not old. They are all built in the last 10, if not 5, years and some are clearly U/C. They are not any worse than multi-story apartment blocks built these days anywhere else in the world.
__________________
Russia , St. Petersburg, Moscow , Moscow's skyline , Moscow IBC, Moscow projects & updates, Moscow metro, Moscow Parks and Estates

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 2:58 AM
bnk's Avatar
bnk bnk is offline
પટેલ. કે ન
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 10,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
It is up to you, your city and country how you like to spend your money. You get what you pay for.

Moscow metro is built by the people and for the people. People support the way it is bulit and maintatined (and they ask for more of it). When investment decisons are made in the interest of the public - it is actually what democracy had been intended for. I do not see any waste of public money here. It is not like bulding another aircraft carrier or several hundred of F-22s that are never going to be used (that is - in the best case scenario, I am an optimist )

Calling this kind of station decoration "austentatious" and "decadence" has little ground. You blow it out of proportion (without providing any numbers), as if the walls are being incrusted with diamonds.

Marble, as well as granite and other natural stones, have proven to be durable materials well worth the inital investment...

It is actually economical to use them in the long run comparing to cheaper materials.

Considering that these stations are expected to be in service for hundreds, if not thousands of years, investing a little more initially to create something worthwhile maintaning is well justified.

The extra cost of decoration makes only a few % of the total cost of the construction of tunnels and stations. The cost of metro construction in Russia is moderate - somewhere between $50 and $100 mln per 1 km of new metro line including station construction. This includes decoration.

Keep in mind that in Moscow (as well as in other Russian/Soviet subways) distances between stations are longer than in typical western systems. In US you will easily find stations separated by less than 0.5 mile, sometims as little as 300-400m (in Paris as well). The average distance between stations in Moscow is 1.8 km. By building fewer stations per km of tunnel they can afford to devote a few more % of the construction cost to decoration.

There are other consequences of longer distances between stations: 1) Each station has substantial costs to run it. Fewer stations >> lower operating costs. This is is one of the reasons Moscow metro pays for its own operating expenses without being subsidized by public money. Only new construction is funded be city/state and/or private investors. 2) Faster commercial speed of the system.

One aspect you seem to neglect is that Moscow metro stations are more than transit infrastructure. For many people they are, essentially, a form of self-identity, if I can express it well. If you ask a Muscovite where they live, or how to get to their place, they will 99% of time begin by telling you that you first need to get to some metro station of such and such line. Pretty much like a person in US would say that you first need to take some freeway and take some exit.

The difference is - an American does not identify emotionally with with the freeway and the exit number. In Moscow people identify emotionally with the nearest station and with the metro system as whole. This is understandable, if you consider that an average Muscovite spends 25% of a day underground. It seem to me this emotional aspect alone would be sufficient reason to decorate the stations.

FYI, "commieblock monstrocities" in the picture above are not old. They are all built in the last 10, if not 5, years and some are clearly U/C. They are not any worse than multi-story apartment blocks built these days anywhere else in the world.



Great post. The bolded statements are agreeable to me...
__________________
facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 1:43 PM
Demetrios B. Demetrios B. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 60
Posted a bit late, but:
Line 3, APL. West extension opened (photos by Russos)




Myakinino.
First ever Moscow metro station financed by private-public partnership.
Well, if others to follow will be like this - I hope, the last one...



Volokolamskaya (transl.: "Portage-on-Lama")





Mitino

"Thanks God it's Metro!"

Last edited by Demetrios B.; Mar 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.