HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Has the height variance gone for third reading yet (for the additional floor)?
Not yet, there hasn't been a council meeting since the first and second reading. I'd assume it's on the agenda for Monday's meeting though.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:40 AM

Lots of talk on Facebook about a Midway being set up on the NBEx grounds. Nothing official was announced yet, but it's starting to get confirmed so word will probably be officially announced tomorrow.

It's not tied to an event (like NBEx or Ribfest or anything) but East Coast Amusements are apparently going to be set up in Freddy for 2 weeks. Then they'll be moving to SJ for 2 weeks. Then heading to Moncton for 2 weeks. Assumably they'll move on to PEI or Nova Scotia for whatever's left of the season.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:12 PM

4-storey apartment on Beaverbrook Street gets OK from council

There were 19 letters of objection filed against the project, issuing concerns about the removal of trees, extra traffic on Beaverbrook and the fact that only half the units will have parking available.

Considering there are 41 1-bedroom units and 7 2-bedroom units, and its proximity to the campus, this is clearly intended to be for students, so I suspect the lack of parking will not really be an issue.

Beaverbrook is going to be widened in a few years too, which may help with the traffic concerns.

Ultimately, I'm glad this project got approved. IMO we should see more projects like this happening around the campus.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are a couple of images from the CBC article regarding the development.

This little gem from the CBC comment section is absolutely precious:

Quote:
Starts with one story then 4 then 8 then one ask's where is the sun can't see it anymore.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:26 PM

390 York Street Land Sold

I noticed through the SNB Property Assessment website that the big parcel behind Sobeys and around the liquor store at 390 York Street has sold. July 10th, it sold for 3.8 Million, anyone know who may have bought it or what the plans are? Its a prime piece of land for downtown.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbking24 View Post
I noticed through the SNB Property Assessment website that the big parcel behind Sobeys and around the liquor store at 390 York Street has sold. July 10th, it sold for 3.8 Million, anyone know who may have bought it or what the plans are? Its a prime piece of land for downtown.
Oh wow. That's very interesting.

And the York Street liquor store is also shown as having been sold for $4.5M.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 12:46 PM

Yeah I saw that as well, definitely a couple big purchases. Makes you what the plans are for that site.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbking24 View Post
Yeah I saw that as well, definitely a couple big purchases. Makes you what the plans are for that site.
You wouldn't make a purchase like this unless you had plans to develop the property. Such an important downtown location. My guess would be a mixed use development including residential and commercial. I really hope it's something significant, not just vinyl clad 3-4 floor apartments.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
You wouldn't make a purchase like this unless you had plans to develop the property. Such an important downtown location. My guess would be a mixed use development including residential and commercial. I really hope it's something significant, not just vinyl clad 3-4 floor apartments.
Exactly, their is huge potential for that site.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Just noticed that another building was taken down at the Royal Road end of Main street.

This building is now gone (I think it was there all winter, and the ground there now seems recently turned over like it was just taken out). Last fall, the space next to it was fenced off and cleared, with retaining blocks put up to shore up the trail at the back.

Has anyone heard of any projects planned for that spot? Seems like a decent sized lot with a lot of prep going into it at the moment.
Construction on this site has now started. Drove by this AM and site has been staked and excavtor work has begun

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 4:41 PM

That whole area is zoned COR-1 which is basically commercial with the option of residential units above.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:43 PM

Just posted this over on the Moncton Retail Thread, and thought I post it here too since this also affects Fredericton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
It appears that Justice will be closing in Moncton and Fredericton. The parent company (Ascena Retail Group) announced today (July.23rd) that's it's closing all of their stores across all brands in Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico, as it has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Link to their press release: https://ascenaretailgroupinc.gcs-web.com/node/14216/pdf?fbclid=IwAR3Q3roQeZpgKhlqDtf0eh9F9QLofJgRyETLCQcT8FV0AL0Lr1DxLJ2tJBU

Quote:
"Optimization of Brand Portfolio and Store Fleet

As part of the balance sheet restructuring contemplated by the RSA, the Company will optimize its brand portfolio and strategically reduce its footprintwith the closing of a significant number of Justice stores and a select number of Ann Taylor, LOFT, Lane Bryant and Lou & Grey stores. This includes the exit of all stores across brands in Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico and the closure of all Catherines stores."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Boom nightclub closing permanently due to COVID

Sad news; hopefully something similar can relaunch when clubbing becomes a thing again. I'm pretty sure the support is here for it, especially once the Universities can reopen fully.
https://tj.news/story/101317361

Looks like it will reopen in October as a community center in the day and a bar/club at night

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 11:30 AM

Drove by the Legion site recently, and it looks like work has stopped at the moment. They have the foundation pit dug and gravel at the bottom, but there doesn't seem to be much equipment left on site.

I guess they're waiting for a crane now? I'd think they'd at least be getting the base ready for the crane, but they can probably knock that out fast once they know when it is showing up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 12:40 PM

The Fredericton real estate market continues to be hot.

I now personally know of two instances where houses sold for $20k over asking without inspections.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Drove by the Legion site recently, and it looks like work has stopped at the moment. They have the foundation pit dug and gravel at the bottom, but there doesn't seem to be much equipment left on site.

I guess they're waiting for a crane now? I'd think they'd at least be getting the base ready for the crane, but they can probably knock that out fast once they know when it is showing up.
Maybe a different contractor doing site prep vs actual building construction? Looks like the third reading for re-zoning for the additional height was passed at council last week.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
The Fredericton real estate market continues to be hot.

I now personally know of two instances where houses sold for $20k over asking without inspections.
Tell me about it. I'm currently looking at house in Fredericton, and seeing bungalows that in rough shape and no garage/car ports going for 230K is just gross. It looks to only be the 200-350K market range though... there's a glut of buyers. +400K houses are still unaffected to the pricing surge, too bad I couldn't afford those ones

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Tell me about it. I'm currently looking at house in Fredericton, and seeing bungalows that in rough shape and no garage/car ports going for 230K is just gross. It looks to only be the 200-350K market range though... there's a glut of buyers. +400K houses are still unaffected to the pricing surge, too bad I couldn't afford those ones
My buddy tried to buy a house this week listed at $400k that sold for $420k.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
My buddy tried to buy a house this week listed at $400k that sold for $420k.
Maybe I am wrong, I am going off what my agent is saying for the ones in the +400K range, since I'm not looking at them. Lucky for me, I do have a place I can stay and hopefully wait out this sudden surge of buyers in the area.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:51 AM

Property on York Street

The property on York Street was bought buy a holding company of Colpitts Develpoments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces