HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
^ I am sure his office is expansive, decorated very nicely and is bigger than most's NYC apartments. For every one comment like his I wager there are 3-4 average joes who sit in a large cube farm/bullpen who would take a 10% paycut to work from home in perpetuity....

methinks he doth protest too much

Obviously he wouldn't want to scream the sky is falling, like a few people have. But the lease activity has resumed in New York. And they have had and are having success with the leasing at Manhattan West. I think it's more likely he's speaking from experience.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
^ I am sure his office is expansive, decorated very nicely and is bigger than most's NYC apartments. For every one comment like his I wager there are 3-4 average joes who sit in a large cube farm/bullpen who would take a 10% paycut to work from home in perpetuity....

methinks he doth protest too much
I really hope you are wrong, because if your job can be done from home it can be done in India for 30% of what you are being paid here and that's before your voluntary 10% paycut.

Wake up people.

(End OT convo)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
For every one comment like his I wager there are 3-4 average joes who sit in a large cube farm/bullpen who would take a 10% paycut to work from home in perpetuity....
Those people might exist, but I've never met them.

Don't know anyone who wants to take a pay cut while being trapped at home with kids and no social outlets indefinitely. Also, if such an arrangement became commonplace, you've just guaranteed your job is no longer essential, and can be done from anywhere, by anyone meeting certain criteria.

My wife and I can't wait to get back to normalcy. First business lunch, first client meeting, first work trip will be godsends. And neither of us have fancy offices, short commutes or laid-back workplaces.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Earlier today...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Those people might exist, but I've never met them.

..snip..

My wife and I can't wait to get back to normalcy. First business lunch, first client meeting, first work trip will be godsends. And neither of us have fancy offices, short commutes or laid-back workplaces.

^I agree wholeheartedly. After a decade of working in an office, the idea of working from home sounded nice. But after about 2 weeks, I was so ready to get out of the house. Productivity was down, collaboration via Zoom or Facetime was a joke. Chasing new business was nearly impossible and when trying to close a deal in a professional manner, your customer is distracted with his kid in his arms.

There's a reason that even 40 years after the invention of the internet, we're building more office towers than ever. Face to face interaction is essential in business.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^I agree wholeheartedly. After a decade of working in an office, the idea of working from home sounded nice. But after about 2 weeks, I was so ready to get out of the house. Productivity was down, collaboration via Zoom or Facetime was a joke. Chasing new business was nearly impossible and when trying to close a deal in a professional manner, your customer is distracted with his kid in his arms.

There's a reason that even 40 years after the invention of the internet, we're building more office towers than ever. Face to face interaction is essential in business.
That's fair and understand your perspective but I guess I am at a different stage of my life. I work for a large RE group, am married with no kids yet (still young) and live downtown within a major metro area so it's been the best of both worlds for me. Not to say I wouldn't welcome going into an office a few days a week if needed but we've proven our ability to operate a portfolio & close on deals from home.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

So long as control freaks are present and type-A's, the need to micromanage folks will result in cubicles and office space. On a side note, let's hope it doesn't disappear 100%, as we wouldn't want our cities to look quarantine style for ages. Folks going to work adds to the street energy! But if the housing situation (prices) isn't rectified, eh... I can than see some positives from folks not commuting as much.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 7:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 1:17 PM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 17, 2020

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 2:39 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I love how the construction workers immortalize themselves with personal and work-related graffiti etched on the bones of the tower.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 4:27 PM

I bet you this rises very fast, just like 1 Manhattan West.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 5:38 PM

So much steel, I love it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:05 AM

It's a shame both main towers don't offset each other a little more

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wish the Pendry was taller. Best design in MW IMO.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:22 PM

Yeh good call. 300ft is a drop in the ocean.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:58 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
So long as control freaks are present and type-A's, the need to micromanage folks will result in cubicles and office space. On a side note, let's hope it doesn't disappear 100%, as we wouldn't want our cities to look quarantine style for ages. Folks going to work adds to the street energy! But if the housing situation (prices) isn't rectified, eh... I can than see some positives from folks not commuting as much.
I want to get back to the office as much as anyone (mostly because WFH with two kids is next to impossible), but I also just wanted to say that I am perfectly happy micro-managing people via Slack

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction