HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:38 PM
this could have been...

that was a real shame. we don't have 2 many 1890s homes here. i think the Wilcoxes had to pay a 10K fine.

From the Dwntwn Voices Coalition's June 09 meeting minutes re: JSED -
-to break ground in early '10
-intend to preserve 4 bldgs
-someone named George Pasquel seems to representing JSED at these meetings, and he has offered to provide the DVC these items:

-more detail on what public investment will be made
-specific design proposals in their PUD (about 3 pgs) so that people can review them more easily
-more detail on affordable housing
-more detail on whether affordability components for business leases will be included so more locally owned businesses can be included (and guidelines for Minority- and Women-owned business enterprises will be provided to him.)

JSED was on the agenda for July's meeting; won't have those minutes for a while tho.
Also, Grand Ave Festival planned for Sept 26. And they are trying to get the old Paper Heart/Quebedeaux Chevrolet bldg at 750 Grand designated historic by the city. the hearing is Aug 12; letters/emails/calls to the city in support would be appreciated.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:58 PM

Here's some more official confirmation regarding the Phoenix City Council recent vote:

http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...strict-moving/

Quote:
The City Council on Wednesday, unanimously approved the PUD (Planned Unit Development) Application of the Jackson Street Entertainment District developers, paving the way for them to move forward with their project. Although I was not there personally and I have not been able to find any reports of this event in the media, I’m told by at least 2 reliable sources that it happened.

The Jackson Street Entertainment District covers an L-shaped group of properties in the city’s warehouse district — on Jackson from First to Fourth Streets and between Third and Fourth Streets from Jackson to Lincoln Streets. The Plan calls for a walkable District that would include an outdoor market and cafes, restaurants, nightclubs and up to as many as 1000 residential units at completion. Although the Project could take 5 to 7 years to complete, some businesses could open as early as next year, according to Larry Lazarus, Attorney for the Developer.

A recent article about the JSED Project at KTAR.com

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 11:56 PM

I hope a good chunk of those 1000 residential units aren't just more luxury condos.

How about some basic 1 bedroom apartments? It would be nice to see downtown open up more to those who don't need to have a kitchen full of granite and stainless steel, or a mortgage.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post
I hope a good chunk of those 1000 residential units aren't just more luxury condos.

How about some basic 1 bedroom apartments? It would be nice to see downtown open up more to those who don't need to have a kitchen full of granite and stainless steel, or a mortgage.

Agreed, agreed, and um, AGREED.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post

Yeah, I also echo those exact sentiments..... It would be perfect to build apartments that local artists could afford..... Why build something luxurious when they're barely selling (especially at such a snail pace) the Summit Apartments...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLouieLouie76 View Post
Yeah, I also echo those exact sentiments..... It would be perfect to build apartments that local artists could afford..... Why build something luxurious when they're barely selling (especially at such a snail pace) the Summit Apartments...
JSED tried repeatedly to get attainable housing downtown in the District. Despite setbacks from the City (see JSED's attempt to build such housing around the Jefferson Street Garage), the JSED plan still includes provisions for attainable housing.

For downtown to be successful, it needs a mix of products like The Summit and 44 Monroe, as well as market rate and attainable housing. One is not needed more than the others. All need to be successful. The failure of one IS the failure for all!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
this could have been...

i read this week (Phx Biz Journal?) that the Jefferson St garage
sale from the City to the Dbax/Suns owners' entity finally went thru.
IIRC, Phx gets $20 million, which they earn interest on until giving it to RED when their new Cityscape garage uc gets its Certificate of Occupancy (in 2010.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:30 AM

Not good news for JSED...

Below is a small artical from the Business Real Estate Weekly website. Maybe a major blow to the Jackson Street Entertainment District Project. Only time will tell...

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX WAREHOUSE DISTRICT PROPERTIES NOTICED FOR TRUSTEE’S SALE

Phoenix – A mixed-use residential and retail project planned in the Warehouse District of Downtown Phoenix is in jeopardy because of a foreclosure action that has been filed against the owners of the property. The site includes several former warehouse buildings and encompasses two full city blocks. The acreage is bounded on the north by the Union Pacific Rail Road tracks, on the south by Lincoln Street, on the east by Fourth Street and on the west by Third Street. Buchanan Street bisects the tract, which is located south of US Airways Center and Chase Field. According to Ion Data, a Mesa-based provider of real estate data, Christopher McNichol of the Phoenix lawfirm Gust Rosenfeld is the trustee on the pending foreclosure. The trustee’s sale is set for June 17. Ion Data’s Foreclosure Update lists a consortium of individuals and entities that comprise the beneficiary on a $24.15 million mortgage that is in default. The loan was issued by the defunct Mortgages Ltd., which is now managed by ML Servicing Co. in Peoria. The borrower was SOJAC I LLC, a joint venture formed by Dale Jensen and Brad Yonover of DBB Ventures in Phoenix and investor Joe Pinsonneault of San Diego, Calif. Representatives of SOJAC I could not be reached for comment. In March 2007, BREW reported the venture spending $24.27 million to assemble the properties and planning to develop 900 residential units that would be built above ground level retail. The assemblage included a 19,200-square-foot building at 314 E. Buchanan Street that was occupied by Art’s Fisheries.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:22 PM

typo

I think this should read bordered to the west by 3rd avenue and not 3rd st.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 5:38 PM
under the influence...

Good article on what the folks at R&R Surplus have been up to lately. Glad to see somebody is getting things done.

Quote:
Couple take chance on 1928 warehouse in Phoenix

4 comments by Randy Cordova - Apr. 11, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Steve and Andi Rosenstein have a photograph they like to keep close at hand.

The young couple in the photo, taken 23 years ago on a vacation in Jamaica, are standing atop a 30-foot-high bridge, about to leap into the chilly waters below. The twosome seem to be equal parts excitement and nerves.

"We had no money, no kids, no marriage, but we knew we were a good team," Andi says now, examining the snapshot.

"It was symbolic because we were jumping off at that point in our lives," Steve says. "It was symbolic of a change that we were making in our lives."

That "change" was the couple's decision to open a business. The result: The clothing line Fitigues, a popular casual line of clothing that earned coverage on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" and eventually grew into a national chain that the couple sold to Chico's for just less than $10 million in 2006.

But the symbolism holds for the couple today. The Rosensteins are in their 40s, the parents of two healthy boys, ages 12 and 16. They live in Scottsdale's posh D.C. Ranch neighborhood and spend summers at a waterfront home in Michigan. But the couple are not content to sit back and reap the rewards of a job well done. Instead, they're embarking on an adventure that could change the face of downtown Phoenix. And although some people may think they're crazy, the two are firmly committed to making this leap...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 9:23 PM

Was able to check out Don's hometown of Kansas City and all I can say is WOW!!! If JSED could evolve into anything like their Power & Light district, we'd be taking a step in the right direction.

http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/index.cfm

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Or even OKC's Bricktown and Omaha's Old Market.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
Or even OKC's Bricktown and Omaha's Old Market.
Is this the area they keep showing on NBA on TNT with what looks to be a canal or small river? If so, it almost looks like OKC is building another SA riverwalk type district.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Is this the area they keep showing on NBA on TNT with what looks to be a canal or small river? If so, it almost looks like OKC is building another SA riverwalk type district.
yes, they built a canal and have many bars along it. SA is much better but not bad for OKC. there's not much retail in Bricktown as it's mostly nightlife. they do have a Harkin's Theatres, Bass Pro and ballpark for the Ranger's AAA team.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:48 AM
them bones

If Phoenix can get ANYTHING going like KC's Power & Light District with Cityscape and Jackson Street (I refuse nicknames), then it'll be a huge success. That place is hopping.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 2:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
(I refuse nicknames)
Come on, there's a difference between a nickname and branding. You don't refer to every building by it's postal address do you?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 3:23 PM

Isn't "CityScape" a nickname?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Maybe me meant the stupid ass shit that people do with things like "cenpho" "JSED"

I want to punch every mother fucker that says stuff like that in the wiener.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 5:25 PM

What about?
NoSco - North Scottsdale

haha

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Wiener punch comin' your way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest