HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It's not slated to be completed until the 2021 season. Lagoon is calling it a game changer. The video preview looks very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29p_rrnweg
I love this new ride, I'm excited that Lagoon is finally starting to have a collection of custom built coasters. While Colossus is fun, it's always bugged me that it was just trucked in and set down on the ground.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Logan announces reduced downtown revival plan
https://cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar...#comment-43354

So after a NIMBY coalition seemingly defeated the previous plan for the Emporium in Logan, they are scaling the project back and axing the housing and parking garage components. Complaints were (of course) centered around parking and the "historic" nature of the Emporium:

The Plaza 45 building looks nice and historic to me, but the Emporium? Really? Maybe I'll tune into the meeting on Sept. 8th so there's at least some YIMBY presence. Here's one of the images I could find of the previous development proposal:

Presumably, the building on the right side is no longer part of the plan. Unfortunate, if you ask me.

This is ridiculous, I don't see the historic nature of the Emporium and it bothers me that people don't get the concept of a walkable downtown. "But where will people park?" Such a stupid argument considering that you park 3 times farther away when at a busy wally world, than you ever would in a tucked behind parking space or structure in a downtown area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:52 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Future_Mayor View Post
This is ridiculous, I don't see the historic nature of the Emporium and it bothers me that people don't get the concept of a walkable downtown. "But where will people park?" Such a stupid argument considering that you park 3 times farther away when at a busy wally world, than you ever would in a tucked behind parking space or structure in a downtown area.
Some of the NIMBYs were arguing with a straight face that the removal of the surface parking behind the Emporium was going to destroy local businesses. This is despite the fact that the old plan had left some surface parking intact and included a large parking garage. It also ignores any contribution to business that new residents and a public plaza/ice rink/stage would bring.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 4:05 PM
Space Magi

Design Workshop now has a nice page on their website for the new Ogden downtown master plan. It also has this awesome image/map, which I don't remember seeing in the packet:

There are also some higher resolution versions of the renderings there, like this one:

Really gets the imagination going! Ogden has so much potential!

And in news, the Wonderbread site has been transferred to JF Capital for a huge mixed-use development!
https://www.standard.net/news/busine...3015e2846.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 7:08 AM

Quote:
This is so cool! I love this vision. I am especially happy to see that the train station has been restored to Union Station! I do love restoring rail service to old stations! But, as always, I have some recommendations.

This is a screen shot from the Google Map linked below in my signature line:

The best way to restore trains to Union Station is to add a passenger rail flyover just to the north of the FrontRunner tracks. The FrontRunner and passenger rail tracks will remain elevated behind Union Station, and passengers will need to climb a ramp to get to the platform levels (just like Los Angeles Union Station). The two historic museum tracks will remain untouched, though a crosswalk will need to be built across them to get better access to the main platforms.

I also show a large brown square behind the Union Station building. This is a convention center type space, where the Hostlers Train show and traveling museum exabits can go once the main train hall is restored as a train station.
Lastly, I've shown (in the real google map) a passenger 'loop' line, so that some trains can approach from the north before heading east to Wyoming. Such a track is necessary in order to allow for future passenger service to Cheyenne:

(See my links below for a larger version)

For the most part, I've shown the Union Pacific tracks just shifted closer to the river. My plan does not eliminate any yard space for Union Pacific. If someone were to present a bolder plan with relocated yard tracks - and maybe a roof over the remaining mainline tracks so that the new neighborhood could have direct access to the Weber River - I would be all for it.

My point is, it's an excellent vision. I just hope that 1) it happens, and that 2) enough room is left for Union Station to be a real train station, not just a commuter rail station.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 5:14 PM

This is a new apartment building on 1500 South in Bountiful right below main street. This is the site of the old 5 Points Mall which had grand development plans 15-20 years ago. Most of the land is still vacant. The 5 story Renaissance medical building was built around 2004. There is another medical building with curvature right at the 5 point round about. I'm pleasantly surprised with how dense this little stretch has become.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks for posting that info Atlas. Sometimes we forget about Ogden, but there's a lot of character and potential in it. Glad to see that they have a strong vision tying into those assets.
Yes, Ogden is definitely on the map for investors nationwide. We are getting a lot of outside money buying up residential properties. This is happening all along the Wasatch front but Ogden is making a splash in certain circles. It has the potential to be a hipster destination with its history and blue collar work force. Ogden could sure use some sprucing up around that side of town and the shorter bridge would be a welcome entrance to the city that it needs from I-15. It currently doesn’t have a nice grand entrance from the freeway. This would be pretty incredible. Great find Atlas

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:20 PM

I love Ogden, I think it has the best "Main St" 25th, of the three largest downtowns in the State, Provo's Center could be cool to if it well weren't Provo.

I like the vision Ogden has and hope that it happens. I do think that they could use a little bit more height sprinkled in there though, not a lot because I think that could take away from the grit, but a handful of 8-12 story buildings scattered around the downtown core could add to the density and vibrancy of the area. A few buildings to compliment the Muni building, Wells Fargo and the hotel.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:26 AM

I definitely think additional residential density in downtown Ogden could help it thrive. Ogden is improving, but there's still quite a few run-down and dilapidated properties that have no historical value pretty near downtown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:42 PM

Remote Workforce Housing Project in Ogden

Ogden picked to craft development plan geared to remote workers

https://www.standard.net/news/local/...c7ad632f1.html

OGDEN — The city of Ogden is one of five locations nationwide picked to host a new housing development targeting the increasingly ubiquitous segment of people working from their homes.

The proposed Electric Alley development, jointly submitted by Outlier Realty Capital and Powder Development, would take shape on what’s now city-owned property to the rear of the businesses fronting the north side of 25th Street between Wall and Lincoln avenues. Powder Development is affiliated with Powder Mountain and the plans potentially envision involving the ski resort somehow, though the connection hasn’t been fully fleshed out.

More generally, the aim of the Remote Work Hub initiative here in Ogden and the other site locations is to create space where the growing population of those working from home can live, work and socialize, boosters say.

“We’re interested because we think remote work is going to become more and more common,” said Brandon Cooper, deputy director of community and economic development for Ogden. The city’s hope is for a development “that allows remote workers to thrive,” drawing more of them here.

The brainchild of the Remote Work Hub initiative is Common, a New York-based firm that designs and manages apartments and other living spaces with a focus on fostering a sense of community. The firm sought proposals from cities across the country, and the Ogden plan was one of five finalists, along with others from New Orleans, Louisiana; Bentonville, Arkansas; Rocky Mount, North Carolina; and Rochester, New York.

Now, the developers behind those five plans — Washington, D.C.-based Outlier and Powder Development in the case of the Ogden initiative — will be able to tap into the expertise of Common’s architects in finalizing their proposals. “We’re moving into workshop mode,” Cooper said, with plans probably finalized by the spring sometime.

Ogden hasn’t committed any funding but is involved because the Electric Alley proposal is consistent with the city’s Make Ogden downtown development initiative, Cooper said. Down the road, the city could potentially provide land for the project or tax-increment financing.

As described and envisioned by boosters, the Remote Work Hub initiative is a forward-looking development model meant to tap into the rising trend of working from home, increasingly common because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Read the rest of the article at: https://www.standard.net/news/local/...c7ad632f1.html

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:21 PM

Just learned about this. It's too bad Ogden lost this treasure, which seated 2,200:

Paramount Theatre (originally Alhambra Theater)
2429 Kiesel Avenue, Ogden, UT 84401

Article here:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/26282

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/26282/photos/184870

I already knew about the Orpheum (originally the Ogden Opera House) but I did not know about this one. The only photos of the opera house's auditorium i could find pale in comparison to this! What a beautiful coffered ceiling! What a tragic loss.

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 12:13 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=Hatman;9134026]This is so cool! I love this vision. I am especially happy to see that the train station has been restored to Union Station! I do love restoring rail service to old stations! But, as always, I have some recommendations.

This is a screen shot from the Google Map linked below in my signature line:

Ogden has ambitious plans for Union Pacific Property. However, the chance of buying the old rail yard property have taken it on the chin recently. Ogden's rail facilities have been upgraded while the Salt lake terminal is the opposite. This is due to the rail Industry's push to something called precision scheduled railroading. In addition, Weber county is now entering the fray to become a satellite location for the intermodal port. The current vacant land U.P owns will fit the bill nicely. I highly doubt the historic rail yard will be sold to the City.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 1:15 PM

Northern Metro - Major Ski Resort For The Uber Wealthy Coming to Northern Utah (Ogden, Morgan County Area).

The new Wasatch Ranch Club will make two new from the ground up major ski resorts being added to Salt Lake's portfolio in the coming season.

Wasatch Ranch Club skiing for '21-22. Courtesy, Mirr Ranch Group photo

OnTheSnow.com - https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/637...ng-next-season

...But, when the Wasatch Ranch Club opens its ski terrain in Utah next December, as Ski Area Management (SAM) magazine is reporting, it plans to attack your wallet with gusto and all bets are off.

The Ranch Club will be larger than luxurious Deer Valley and will have only half the number of member/residents who are part of the Yellowstone Club, the other exclusive enclave in Montana. “This is a resort being built for the 1 percent of the richest 1 percent,” Utah’s KPOA radio opined as it interviewed Ranch President Bob Weaton.

Recognize the name? Weaton was Chief Operating Officer for Deer Valley for about 20 years, leading it to regularly being chosen as the best ski resort in America by magazine and website polls. There are reportedly 10 owner/investors in the ranch from across the globe, one of those being Lessing Stern, son of Deer Valley founder Edgar Stern. The ranch property was originally listed for a sale price of $42 million.

Pay dearly to play

Club membership pricing hasn’t been publicly released yet, but it will most likely top that of the Yellowstone Club which currently demands an upfront fee of $300,000, owning a condo ($4 million-plus) or private home ($5 million-plus), along with an annual “season pass” or dues topping $30,000.

But, if you’ve got the juice, the Wasatch Ranch Club will deliver mind-boggling excitement for skiers (anglers, hikers, golfers, and whatever else attracts you to pristine wilderness) as it builds out over the next 10-15 years.

First there’s the location. The ranch is only 35 minutes from Salt Lake City and, if you still need a ski fix after all that sliding, Snowbasin (where the price tag is significantly more doable) is only 10 minutes away. Ogden Airport is 15 minutes should you have your own private jet. Few Morgan County residents will be able to afford membership, so it will be mostly a community of second homes.

Heated seats and bubbles

The club’s total playground rolls over 12,750 acres and that includes some 3,000 skiable acres with a 3,600 foot vertical. Leitner-Poma of America plans to begin construction this spring on the first two chairlifts — both high speed quads. Members will be pampered with high-speed quads, planned with carriers that feature heated seats and bubbles.

The two new chairlifts together will provide access to 1,650 acres of terrain, with a top elevation of about 9,500 feet. One lift will be 8,000 feet long, so those bubbles will be welcome. Nine lifts are planned by buildout.

View of the Wasatch Ranch Ski Resort Mountain properties. This group of peaks sit immediately to the south of the Snowbasin Ski Resort.

Snowbasin Ski Resort. Located on the grouping of peaks to the north of what will be the new Wasatch Ranch Club Ski Resort

Map highlighting the location of the new Wasatch Ranch Properties in relation to the existing Snowbasin Ski Resort.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 26, 2021 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 11:05 PM

So, is the ski resort portion immediately adjacent to Snowbasin?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:44 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
It's south of Weber Canyon in Morgan County—on the backside of Layton and Fruit Heights. The bottom photo posted above is Snow Basin in Weber County—on the backside of Ogden.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
This might give you a better idea of where this will be located in comparison to Snowbasin...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:39 PM

Thanks for clarifying that guys, especially that last pic just above. Now makes a lot more sense.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:05 PM

Renderings for the Syracuse Temple Released

Tad Walch for the Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/2...ple-lds-mormon

Ten months after the announcement for the Syracuse Utah Temple, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released an image of what the temple will look like.

The rendering shows the church plans to build a three-story building previously said to be about 89,000 square feet in size. The sacred building is to be constructed on a 12-acre field at 2500 West and 1025 South in Syracuse...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:19 AM

The picture clarifying the ski resort issue doesn't show up anymore. Can you repost it again?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:40 AM

Kind of disappointed we don't have the Cache Valley thread anymore. I guess I'll just have to post my photo update on here.

There's a lot of construction popping up around the valley, including some large residential projects.

I'm most excited about this one. Mill Creek apartments, going up across the street from Logan High School.

Another complex going up in downtown on 100 East called L59 Apartments. Less excited about this one, with the parking lot, but should be nice infill and it's good to see projects bringing people downtown.

There are several new student housing developments going up as well. This one, called 800 block, is the largest of them.

New office building and other developments near the southern end of main street.

Other Projects

There's a few more projects around the valley to take pictures of, but that's what I have right now.

Last edited by mrawesome; Feb 26, 2021 at 5:27 AM. Reason: pictures may not be showing up

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West