HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I don't think Michigan Avenue would be an appropriate location though. I would actually like to see the area near Rock and Roll McDonalds be redeveloped into a "Time Square".
I really hope that doesn't happen. That area has taken great strides to losing the tourist only vibe, although it still has a long way to go.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think Michigan Avenue would be an appropriate location though. I would actually like to see the area near Rock and Roll McDonalds be redeveloped into a "Time Square".
i think state street in the loop should be where they store the tourists.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
I really hope that doesn't happen. That area has taken great strides to losing the tourist only vibe, although it still has a long way to go.
It won't, the land is much too valuable as redevelopment. Particularly so as vacant river north plots become scarcer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:53 PM
Ascension

Quote:

The Rock and Roll McDonalds and Rainforest Cafe; they both can be imploded today plzkthx.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:08 PM

RFC for sure. That thing wore out its welcome ten minutes after it was constructed

I would say around Block 37 on State is one candidate. But that area of N Mich has even more intense foot traffic and large-scale shopping

and again, not a TS copycat, but a Chicago original. Something less intense than piccadilly in London

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:36 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post

The Rock and Roll McDonalds and Rainforest Cafe; they both can be imploded today plzkthx.
exactly that area is in major need of redevelopment! They could put a plaza at Grand and LaSalle, make it uniquely Chicago not Time Square exactly, maybe call it Grand LaSalle Square. It directly between two rail stops, lots of restaurants and nightlife.

Last edited by UPChicago; Oct 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
exactly that area is in major need of redevelopment! They could put a plaza at Grand and LaSalle, make it uniquely Chicago not Time Square exactly, maybe call it Grand LaSalle Square. It directly between two rail stops, lots of restaurants and nightlife.
yeah they could market it as GraLaSq! So hip!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:12 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
yeah they could market it as GraLaSq! So hip!
Is it bad that I'm more than semi serious about this proposal? I'm starting a Friends of Grand LaSalle Square non-profit now!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:18 PM

the giant frog can be enshrined at the bottom of Lake Michigan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:22 PM
THAT Guy

Speaking of Michigan Ave...

Renderings for the John Hancock Plaza overhaul:http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151...mag-mile-plaza

-39' glass sculpture designed by SOM
-Removal of Spanish steps
-Addition of an elevator, more tables, and a giant video screen (you guys wanted Times Square right?)
-No recording studio (never even understood the point of that proposal)
-May sell naming rights to plaza, no decision on tower's name

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:53 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Ehhh...I don't know - let's just make sure Hancock gets landmarked. That's priority numero uno.....

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
It won't, the land is much too valuable as redevelopment. Particularly so as vacant river north plots become scarcer.
Yes, I wonder if the City missed its chance if it felt public land should be set aside around River North. I was hoping for land to be set aside in RN, West Loop and South Loop as I believe there is a need for public spaces / squares in and around the CBD. South Loop may be a logical gathering place in the future if the expansion of an "entertainment" area pans out.

But I wonder what folks are expecting in the way of a "Times Square." That isn't something that can be created out of whole cloth - at least not very easily. TS has a history and reason for why it exists (e.g, we have all seen the images of people gathering to watch the news or celebrate Japan's surrender during WWII). It is a natural crossroad, centrally located on subway lines. It is also not just about flashing lights; it is about a place to gather, people-watch, soak up atmosphere, see late-night talk show segments filmed, and feel like someone has reached the "center" of the city. Millennium Park is an example of a successful square (and created from nothing). It has become a place for people-watching and providing the sense that someone has reached an important and central location. Navy Pier, on the other hand, is an example of a location that - as designed - has not felt like a place to gather and soak up atmosphere. And it will probably always feel "remote."

I am all for more gathering areas as I believe they are needed now (eg., MP is already seems to be cluttered with semi-permanent tents for family/kids events that have taken over the promenades and there really is no ideal gathering spot for celebrations like New Years) and that they will be needed even more over time as the core area grows. But they won't be successful if plopped just anywhere, and placing bright lights won't make an area into a destination (and it may be a bit of chicken/egg - first comes the people, then comes the bright lights).

Last edited by VKChaz; Oct 27, 2015 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Renderings for the John Hancock Plaza overhaul:http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151...mag-mile-plaza

-39' glass sculpture designed by SOM
-Removal of Spanish steps
-Addition of an elevator, more tables, and a giant video screen (you guys wanted Times Square right?)
-No recording studio (never even understood the point of that proposal)
-May sell naming rights to plaza, no decision on tower's name
I don't like losing the steps...what is the access from the street level to the lower level?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:12 PM

My dream is that they tear down the Rock and Roll McDonald's and build a park. That area severely lacks greenery.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:18 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
My dream is that they tear down the Rock and Roll McDonald's and build a park. That area severely lacks greenery.
I like that idea too, but wasn't a similar proposal floated a little while ago for razing the post office and putting a park there? Probably more realistic on that site, there's not a private developer in the world that would pay for the McD lot then build a park. Needs to be a public endeavor.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Ehhh...I don't know - let's just make sure Hancock gets landmarked. That's priority numero uno.....
Doesn't look like they are doing anything to jeopardize a landmark designation. Nothing from the original design of the sunken plaza remains... not even the shape.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:28 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Then good. But let's get it landmarked - by 2016......

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Yes, I wonder if the City missed its chance if it felt public land should be set aside around River North. I was hoping for land to be set aside in RN, West Loop and South Loop as I believe there is a need for public spaces / squares in and around the CBD. South Loop may be a logical gathering place in the future if the expansion of an "entertainment" area pans out.

But I wonder what folks are expecting in the way of a "Times Square." That isn't something that can be created out of whole cloth - at least not very easily. TS has a history and reason for why it exists (e.g, we have all seen the images of people gathering to watch the news or celebrate Japan's surrender during WWII). It is a natural crossroad, centrally located on subway lines. It is also not just about flashing lights; it is about a place to gather, people-watch, soak up atmosphere, see late-night talk show segments filmed, and feel like someone has reached the "center" of the city. Millennium Park is an example of a successful square (and created from nothing). It has become a place for people-watching and providing the sense that someone has reached an important and central location. Navy Pier, on the other hand, is an example of a location that - as designed - has not felt like a place to gather and soak up atmosphere. And it will probably always feel "remote."

I am all for more gathering areas as I believe they are needed now (eg., MP is already seems to be cluttered with semi-permanent tents for family/kids events that have taken over the promenades and there really is no ideal gathering spot for celebrations like New Years) and that they will be needed even more over time as the core area grows. But they won't be successful if plopped just anywhere, and placing bright lights won't make an area into a destination (and it may be a bit of chicken/egg - first comes the people, then comes the bright lights).
I think capping the rest of the tracks north of Roosevelt would help somewhat to add more gathering space.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I like that idea too, but wasn't a similar proposal floated a little while ago for razing the post office and putting a park there? Probably more realistic on that site, there's not a private developer in the world that would pay for the McD lot then build a park. Needs to be a public endeavor.
I'd rather see the Post Office go tbh. The RnR McDs doesn't bother me all that much given that they are headquartered in the area, though I'd like to see the giant parking lot next to it go. The Rainforest Cafe and Hard Rock irritate me more, as most locations I have seen while traveling have been on the first floor of high rises, not in separate buildings.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:56 PM

I do like the 'prism' at the Hancock, but not have a fully permeable entrance into the plaza will certainly be an impediment to getting people down there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development