HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Vornado’s Supertall ‘Penn 15’ By Foster + Partners Will Rise 1,200′ After Redesign, In Midtown Manhattan

Quote:
Updated renderings created by DBOX for Vornado Realty Trust showcase The Penn District, a 7.4-million-square-foot development in Midtown, Manhattan. Located within the same boundaries as the new Madison Square Garden complex from Vishaan Chakrabarti’s Practice for Architecture and Urbanism that YIMBY recently revealed, the renderings offer a more finalized version of five skyscrapers with the tallest, referred to as Penn 15, anticipated to rise nearly 1,200 feet high. Foster + Partners is designing the structures, which would stand close to the 109-year-old James A. Farley Building and Skidmore Owings & Merrill‘s newly opened Moynihan Train Hall, as well as One and Two Penn Plaza and Madison Square Garden. The redesign also appears to be a tweaked iteration of 15 Penn Plaza from a previous depiction that YIMBY showed back in May 2020.

The parameters of the Penn District remain the same, bound by Sixth Avenue to the east, West 32nd Street to the south, Seventh Avenue to the west, and West 34th Street to the north. Penn 15 would replace the 1,700-room Hotel Pennsylvania and stand along Seventh Avenue between West 32nd and 33rd Streets. Renderings show a monolithic building massing divided into a set of staggered multi-story blocks, each enclosed with floor-to-ceiling glass and landscaped outdoor terraces on top of the cantilevering edges. Two thin, parallel vertical columns on the northern and southern elevations wrap over the top of the roof parapet, giving the impression of binding the rectangular blocks together. Penn 15’s core appears to be positioned on the northern side of the building’s footprint, maximizing office floor space and configuration possibilities for tenants.

The four other skyscrapers are shown rising along the southern edge of West 34th Street. Two flank each end of One Penn Plaza, while the final pair of towers stand immediately to the north and east of Penn 15. Each of these features a similar façades of glass and metal panels and includes landscaped terraces, but with different building profiles.

The Penn District will create one of the most dramatic changes to the Midtown skyline in a similar fashion to Related Companies’ first phase of Hudson Yards, just two avenues away to the west. Together with Brookfield Properties’ five-building Manhattan West development found between Ninth and Tenth Avenues, the three sites will elevate this section of New York City’s skyline west of the Empire State Building, but remain below the Art Deco’s architectural height of 1,250 feet.

A timeline for the Penn District’s massive undertaking has not been announced, though it would be ambitious to expect Penn 15 to come to fruition within this decade.
==================
NYY

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:49 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Beautiful street wall. And I like how it gives space to admire the adjacent pre-war. Just wish it was taller:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:13 PM

From my NYC model.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 10:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Still feels like the last version to me. The Empire State once dominated the entire island of skyscrapers.

Quote:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:39 PM

This latest design is fugly. NYC deserves better than that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

I just can't feel this proposal no matter how hard they try.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:45 PM

I like it. Foster's towers often give off an industrial feel and use classy façade finishes.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Beautiful street wall. And I like how it gives space to admire the adjacent pre-war. Just wish it was taller:

I honestly don't get this "wish it were taller" perspective. Why? So you can see it's a few inches taller from your view of Manhattan from Jersey?

Good design, livability, character and human scale are more appealing qualities for cities when considering the people who actually live there. Manhattan has lost that over the years, which I think is one of the deeper reasons for the mass exodus besides the pandemic.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
This latest design is fugly. NYC deserves better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I just can't feel this proposal no matter how hard they try.

Just don’t get too tied to this iteration of the tower. Changes are afoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I honestly don't get this "wish it were taller" perspective. Why? So you can see it's a few inches taller from your view of Manhattan from Jersey?
Perhaps he likes tall buildings, as do a lot of people on this. Or perhaps, as you suggested, he would like to be able to see the damned thing. But Manhattan is one of the few places where a supertall tower could get lost in the crowd. And no matter how tall, people always want taller. (See the Grand Hyatt proposal)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Reasons why the hotel will now be demolished, and replaced with an office tower...

Some specifics of the zoning envelope...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 1:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

http://books.vno.com/books/alyp/#p=1

Via Vornado Realty Trust.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
http://books.vno.com/books/alyp/#p=1

Via Vornado Realty Trust.

Lots of graphics...

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 23, 2021 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:46 AM

I like it

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:50 AM

It will probably be a very nice building for people living/working there, with great floorplans, views, etc, but the outside looks like a mess.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:06 AM
JoeCooper

I really hate to be the Debby Downer here; however, I'm surprised nobody has pointed out the white elephant in the room when it comes to safety re-enforcement. This building Achilles Heel's are the exposed cores. If there were a fire or God forbid another human on human disaster like almost 20 years ago; this building would make escape let alone exposure to the elements such as fire that much more of an issue.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
This building Achilles Heel's are the exposed cores. If there were a fire or God forbid another human on human disaster like almost 20 years ago; this building would make escape let alone exposure to the elements such as fire that much more of an issue.

They’ve been building side-core towers for years. There’s nothing especially unsafe about it.

I have a larger concern with the base, particularly the lowrise wings on 7th Avenue. I think it’s too disruptive to the streetwall, and would prefer the eliminate the wings, and just leave a plaza there.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:03 PM

It's been a decade since Pelli's Design for 15 Penn Plaza.. you would've thought with all that time, Vornado would've come up with a epic modern classic NYC tower to anchor their stronghold around the Penn Plaza Area..

Steps away from the Empire.. tearing down the Hotel Penn for this hideous eyesore on the skyline..

Crazy!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hate it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:05 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Hate it.
I love-hate it, the parts that jut out are ugly, but the concept is cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals