HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:02 PM

I love that spot at the top of the hill.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:39 AM

I've done that drive a million times as that highway takes me to Vancouver from Castlegar but as a driving enthusiast it never gets old.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:52 AM

Hope to Creston on Highway 3 is some of the most fun you can have while driving in Canada. Allison Pass, Sunday Summit, Anarchist Summit, Paulson Summit, Bombi Summit, and then Kootenay Pass to wrap it up. Those are some awesome mountain passes.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now I’m starting to think that TCH would have been a pleasant ride too if it weren’t for all the commercial traffic.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Now I’m starting to think that TCH would have been a pleasant ride too if it weren’t for all the commercial traffic.
The TCH still has unbeatable scenery, but it's not nearly as twisty or steep as Highway 3. It feels like every other curve in the mountain passes on Highway 3 has an advisory speed. The Trans Canada is a much easier drive, but it's so, so much more busy.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The TCH still has unbeatable scenery, but it's not nearly as twisty or steep as Highway 3. It feels like every other curve in the mountain passes on Highway 3 has an advisory speed. The Trans Canada is a much easier drive, but it's so, so much more busy.
I heard that going over the advised speed by even 1 km/h would mean plunging down the cliff...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:46 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I heard that going over the advised speed by even 1 km/h would mean plunging down the cliff...
You just need to drive defensively and pay attention. The yellow advisory signs are a good indicator but if you are focused on driving you can usually do 10-20 over the advised speed without issue.

Hwy 3 is a really nice drive, and usually not that busy. If I were leaving from Calgary headed to the southern interior or coast during the peak of summer, Hwy 3 would be a fun, scenic lower stress alternative to the TCH

I still think Hwy 6 is one of the best drives in BC

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I love that spot at the top of the hill.

Yeah, such a great spot!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
You just need to drive defensively and pay attention. The yellow advisory signs are a good indicator but if you are focused on driving you can usually do 10-20 over the advised speed without issue.

Hwy 3 is a really nice drive, and usually not that busy. If I were leaving from Calgary headed to the southern interior or coast during the peak of summer, Hwy 3 would be a fun, scenic lower stress alternative to the TCH

I still think Hwy 6 is one of the best drives in BC
I've done the TCH drive through all four seasons (even in the winter but with snow tires on) to Calgary from Vancouver and have never found it a particularly dangerous drive either, even at some of the supposedly more trecherous isolated passes. Just stay awake and try to do it in the daytime.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:27 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
I've done the TCH drive through all four seasons (even in the winter but with snow tires on) to Calgary from Vancouver and have never found it a particularly dangerous drive either, even at some of the supposedly more trecherous isolated passes. Just stay awake and try to do it in the daytime.
This. Probably the most treacherous thing is other drivers doing idiotic things and fortunately on a four lane divide highway, those idiotic things are much, much less likely to adversely affect you. The conversion of the TCH east of Golden from the old 2 lane highway to a modern 4 lane divided highway did wonders with respect to it being a much safer drive. The elimination of the tight, twisty sections and also the elimination of passing lanes or short sections where one can pass in the oncoming lane are benefits to all drives although I do miss the old 2 lane highway at times with it being closer to the river and in fact, the antics of other drivers did provide entertainment.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 9:14 PM

Just go back from a trip along highway 20. The last few years the road west of Alexis Creek had been in deteriorated with frost heaves that would break an axle, but they repaved it so it's smooth sailing... except for the odd horse on the road.

We took a few side trips, and drove right up through a lot of forest fire areas right into the alpine...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:32 AM

Thanks for the pics! Would love to do that highway myself one day.

Anyways, we all love to complain on here, but now it is time to send our opinions to those that matter.

Big questions for the final two option for the Peachland highway 97 improvements.

First option is the lower alternate route. (but this has had some backlash from the people in Peachland and they want the higher route)

My big question for this route is the huge detour made to connect to the Okanagan Connector.

Is there a further plan to push this route further towards Kelowna and potentially be a new free flow highway route with the proposed second crossing? Or is it just a horrible alignment that will forever dead end at the Connector?

PeachlandNewOption by Ian, on Flickr

Then there is the option of upgrading the existing alignment. To my dismay they have selected the option that uses at grade signalized intersections instead of interchanges.

from southwest to northeast:

PeachlandExistingOption by Ian, on Flickr

So, if chosen, this highway expansion option will include the retention of four traffic signals...

I know I will be sending in my comments insisting upon full grade separation.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:32 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
Just go back from a trip along highway 20. The last few years the road west of Alexis Creek had been in deteriorated with frost heaves that would break an axle, but they repaved it so it's smooth sailing... except for the odd horse on the road.

We took a few side trips, and drove right up through a lot of forest fire areas right into the alpine...
That trip is on my radar over the next few years. Would make a good overnighter from our cabin near 100 Mile House. I've heard lots about Bella Coola.. a friend of mine owns a commercial fishing vessel based out of Bella Coola and I've been intrigued to go check it out.

How's accommodation out that way ? Seems like there are some options.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 5:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

@240glt Would there also be an opportunity for you to send in complaints about the traffic light on TCH through Valleyview (Kamloops)?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:00 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
@240glt Would there also be an opportunity for you to send in complaints about the traffic light on TCH through Valleyview (Kamloops)?
I hate those lights. The six or so signalled intersections just east of Kamloops have been there as long as I can remember. And I remember when the junction between Hwy 97 and the TCH was a simple T intersection.

I drive through there several times a year, I’d love to see a plan to eliminate those lights but I don’t know if that’s a priority or even a consideration at this time. Do whom do you think I should direct my opinion to ?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I hate those lights. The six or so signalled intersections just east of Kamloops have been there as long as I can remember. And I remember when the junction between Hwy 97 and the TCH was a simple T intersection.

I drive through there several times a year, I’d love to see a plan to eliminate those lights but I don’t know if that’s a priority or even a consideration at this time. Do whom do you think I should direct my opinion to ?
A few pages back in this thread, someone posted a detailed design plan about TCH grade separation through Valleyview.

As for whom to direct opinion to, hmm... try Valleyview municipal council first...? Then also try B.C.’s ministry of transportation. (I keep forgetting what it’s called.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
A few pages back in this thread, someone posted a detailed design plan about TCH grade separation through Valleyview.

As for whom to direct opinion to, hmm... try Valleyview municipal council first...? Then also try B.C.’s ministry of transportation. (I keep forgetting what it’s called.)
They've talked about building the bi pass between Valleyview and Juniper Ridge for at least 20-25 years - and from the sounds of it they are still talking.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamgreg View Post
They've talked about building the bi pass between Valleyview and Juniper Ridge for at least 20-25 years - and from the sounds of it they are still talking.
Grade separation through Valleyview seems possible.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Grade separation through Valleyview seems possible.
I think part of the problem with that whole stretch is that there's development right to the highway on the south side and the railroad tracks and river on the north. If they'd thought about it decades ago they would have left room for a service road parallel to the highway that would connect to an interchange, but I think that ship has sailed.

Timing of the lights is also an issue.. it seems that if you hit one red, you hit them all. And if you time it right you can sail through on all greens. But in the summer especially when it gets really backed up you can be stuck in the line of traffic for several light cycles.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Hmm now I need to look at the design picture again (particularly the bypass option). Can someone link me to it? Also would it end up bypassing the twinned sections that were done in 2007 (or 2009)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia