HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I knew it was Calgary because of the Hyatt tower....the LRT made sense too. But I'd be hard pressed to name that street let alone any street in Calgary.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Maple Creek?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Maple Creek?
No their Hyatt is way taller. And looks just like the Miami one.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:04 AM

Anyone know where this is?

ignore

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I knew it was Calgary because of the Hyatt tower....the LRT made sense too. But I'd be hard pressed to name that street let alone any street in Calgary.
It's 7th Avenue... one of the few streets in Calgary I could confidently identify.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:46 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Online photo, no context.

Not a test or a game. I'm genuinely curious. I often come across urban photos online that I can't place, so I thought I'd create this thread as a one-stop shop for mining the knowledge of the SSP hive mind.
That must have been taken last July. Here were my pics posted in the Weather thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
On Friday an insane storm blew over Calgary and directly above where I live in the SE of the city.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:49 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

BTW nice thread idea. I'd never have guessed Calgary, that pic is much grittier (it's probably partly the lighting) than I'd have expected.
That block on the right is a derelict collection of rundown gritty buildings that I believe are currently abandoned as development plans for the block have all been put on hold. It’s probably the grittiest in tact historic block left in the CBD.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:51 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For me the Hyatt was immediately identifiable. Without that I'd just be guessing.

I specifically remember the Hyatt from seeing it shortly after it was built... I was in Calgary for the 2000 Grey Cup and I remember thinking it was interesting that Calgary had this nice, big new hotel tower at a time when there were hardly any big downtown hotels going up in Canada.

I don't think it's aged all that well, though... there are some buildings in that 20-25 year old range that still look very current, but the Hyatt is looking a bit dated.
You should see the inside. Cowboy art barfstravaganza. Also I believe there’s a canoe shaped alcove in the ceiling at the check in desk.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:11 AM

Quote:
You should see the inside. Cowboy art barfstravaganza. Also I believe there’s a canoe shaped alcove in the ceiling at the check in desk.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:41 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
It's 7th Avenue... one of the few streets in Calgary I could confidently identify.
I was thinking 10th, as a guess...I know the downtown streets are numbered, but I don't know what from where.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:54 AM
ARTchitecture

The Hyatt + Mammatus clouds gave it away.

That's pre-Telus Sky (would be dominating the upper left side of photo), so that area has changed a fair bit. The small historic buildings are even more dilapidated now.

Quote:
That block on the right is a derelict collection of rundown gritty buildings that I believe are currently abandoned as development plans for the block have all been put on hold. It’s probably the grittiest in tact historic block left in the CBD.
Definitely the grittiest full block left in the CBD. I hope the redevelopment plans get revised into a shorter high rise (similar to or shorter than the Hyatt), and a wider frame taking up from the building next to the church up to the building next to the Palomino. Preserve the storefronts, give them new life, and add density to both Stephen Ave and 7th Ave.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; May 5, 2021 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
One of the few blocks in Calgary that looks exactly as I remember as a teenager in the late 90s! Used to get off the LRT there (I feel like the stations have moved around since then as they were reconstructed?) and walk to Stephen Ave to buy metal band t-shirts. Of course Stephen Ave was pretty sketchy back then as well.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:17 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:03 PM
Registered Drug User

I'm addicted to trying to figure out where random images are located. When I saw this one, it only took a nanosecond, even before seeing the area code as confirmation.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7098...7i13312!8i6656

Why could this only ever be Toronto? I think it's mostly the presence of the second floor, a staple of the semi-suburban/suburban multiethnic strip mall in the GTA that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else. Seems like that was the way to maximize commercial potential back in the 1950s and 60s, before subsequent suburban developments gave up the pretense of mimicking downtown density.

My impression is that a lot of dubious or even nefarious activity goes on in the units on these second floors (though in this particular instance the rub'n'tug shop is on the first floor).

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Why could this only ever be Toronto?
Businesses with Jerk in the name.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I'm addicted to trying to figure out where random images are located. When I saw this one, it only took a nanosecond, even before seeing the area code as confirmation.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7098...7i13312!8i6656

Why could this only ever be Toronto? I think it's mostly the presence of the second floor, a staple of the semi-suburban/suburban multiethnic strip mall in the GTA that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else. My impression is that a lot of dubious or even nefarious activity goes on in the units on these second floors (though in this particular instance the rub'n'tug shop is on the first floor).
A jerk place adjoining a rub'n'tug? They did that on purpose.

edit: true though, those 2-storey strip malls seem pretty specific to the GTA. Nearly all strip malls here are single-floor and the ones that aren't usually look like this.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^a little rub and tug, along with a side of Jamaican food. One stop shopping. What is the coincidence that the rub & tug is next to a place that features the word 'Jerk' in its name?

didn't Jack Layton once get caught naked in one of these places?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:26 PM

Surely the distinctively coloured Beck Taxi is the giveaway?

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:10 PM

I'll play.

(my photo)
[IMG]l by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by whatnext; May 10, 2021 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:

Why could this only ever be Toronto? I think it's mostly the presence of the second floor, a staple of the semi-suburban/suburban multiethnic strip mall in the GTA that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else. Seems like that was the way to maximize commercial potential back in the 1950s and 60s, before subsequent suburban developments gave up the pretense of mimicking downtown density.

My impression is that a lot of dubious or even nefarious activity goes on in the units on these second floors (though in this particular instance the rub'n'tug shop is on the first floor).
Just around the corner are these units which are very common in Toronto

https://goo.gl/maps/ZBiJLaNSKW49aemCA

The Toronto equivalent to this type of semi

https://goo.gl/maps/cBQyQPs4dJKcE2eg7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada