HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite! Who submitted the best entry?
ericmacm 7 29.17%
TorontoDrew 12 50.00%
Koops65 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 3:48 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Whipper owned a joyful amusement park decades ago. Unfortunately it went bankrupt.

After years of labour-intensive painting T.O. future skylines for "fun", receiving a rather amazing amount of media attention for the scribbles (even a few props from forumers)... I don't recall a single positive comment from Snapper.

Probably no comment is closer to the truth.

Although it's human to hope for an occasional pat on the back, the universal truth learned is obviously "first do it for yourself for fun".. and bits of applause for the sweat is gravy.

Self-esteem insurance: most of us are amateurs and that's OK indeed.
Actually I think I remember that. Was this one of yours by any chance? I've had it saved offline for ages and I think I lost some file info after changing computers.

If i recall correctly, neilio also used to do some pretty slick renderings so it might have been his. i always wished I had those mad rendering skills. Maybe one day I'll learn.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:21 PM

^yeah that's one of my older ones.. thx for the blast from past.

And yes, Neilo was (is?) incredibly talented... far more skilled and precise than I, without my use of drama (to compensate for sorta meagre self-taught PS chops).

Cheers.

Wonder where Neilo is...

P.S. That pano is actually cropped- runs further north.
Link below is an early (and high angle) one from around 2008 (updated 2010 with a few additions like the tall invented design on the right which is now phase 1 of CIBC Square). Was starting to get the hang of things.

http://www.upside-down.ca/sdphotos/highangle1bloor.jpg

Last edited by Maldive; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: post script added

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:52 PM
recession proof

Building #3 in progress. Work flow certainly goes faster when you design from the inside out - floorplans/profit before aesthetics right? (um not quite.)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 9:58 PM

I always design structurally first, including the core and structural columns, and then work my way outward to the cladding and final details.

I've had enough time to finish all of my towers and the expanded/restored theatre complete with cladding, now it's time to work on fine details that will bring everything to life in the rendering process, which for me, is the hardest part.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 10:26 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
If you're so dissatisfied with the results of our amateur design competition, why don't you enter a design and show us how it's done?
Why? I didn't create this thread looking for input. It's a building design competition. Why would my comments be about the quality of the drawings or the time it takes to make them? How is that any different from any other drawing posted on this forum? These proposals are as unoriginal, cold, overbuilt and, hostile as anything pushed by developers in this city. I understand that's what some people want. I find it a terrible direction and I'm not going to start sugar coating things because of weak sensibilities. I believe in a straightforward honest opinion; one with no personal attachment. I'm not going to flirt around an opinion because they were drawn by SSP members. I find all 3 of the Maitland proposals terrible. Your choice how you want to view that.

Re: Drawing.

More revisionist history. I have complimented Maldive's drawing prowess many times. I have complimented Whistler's as well. Koops is exceptionally better than the limitations of the program he uses. It's a complete waste of his talents. Of course, SSP and especially those with commercial experience rather encourage him to continue wasting his abilities than to be honest about it. That's just sad.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Apr 29, 2020 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I've finally decided on which direction I'm going with this. A sneak peek:

[IMG][/IMG]

So a major office component?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
one with no personal attachment. I'm not going to flirt around an opinion because they were drawn by SSP members. I find all 3 of the Maitland proposals terrible. Your choice how you want to view that.
That's just sad.

Yup, that is just sad. It's just a fun little design competition nothing more and yet you just can't help yourself and not be an ass.

that's just sad. there is a huge difference between having an opinion, or offering constructive criticism versus just being rude. You fail to understand that it seems so maybe in our next thread just skip over it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:41 AM
recession proof

Anyone may critique my mediocre projects. I don't close the door to the loudest mouth. From a critical pov, 99% of the condo developments we've seen built in Canada over the past 2 decades have been absolute garbage. Even Vancouver House fails on so many levels when you're within 20 feet of it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:57 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So a major office component?
Yup, on top of the theatre... there will be 2 other towers as well. One big, one little...

As for people making negative comments about the designs, that's life... you open yourself up to this when you post things in a public forum.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:16 AM
recession proof

So you're going to put an office tower on top of an historic theatre? There's thousands of parking lots nearby that can handle the density. Rolling through streetview I realize WPG would be tolerable if every parking lot put up single storey buildings just to complete the streetwall.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:17 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Yup, that is just sad. It's just a fun little design competition nothing more and yet you just can't help yourself and not be an ass.

that's just sad. there is a huge difference between having an opinion, or offering constructive criticism versus just being rude. You fail to understand that it seems so maybe in our next thread just skip over it.
Basically, not liking something and truthfully posting it is being rude. You have to flirt around not liking something with constructive criticism too. With that said, the none of the above comment ended up being in poor taste. I should of know it would be completely misconstrued as an insult against the artist and their talents and not just an exclamation point to how much these designs represent everything I despise about development in this city. 3 towers crammed together on an oversized podium. No breathing space. No human scale. No intimate spaces. No discovery. The only value is creating a superficial dense skyline that can only be viewed from far outside the acutal urban environment. I accept A lot of people want that. I don't have to like it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:31 AM
recession proof

^Why I'm falling back in love with small town living: historic districts haven't been reduced to facades with towers looming over mediocre money laundering operations, Victorian homes aren't being gutted losing their souls to Home Depot parts bin rubbish, mid-century bungalows haven't been EIFSed or pulled to the foundations anchoring new pretend mansions, folks don't parade around in leased BMWs, grey is a county not an aesthetic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:47 AM

Here is where I'm at so far. Still a lot to do.

cummings_04 by Andrew Moore, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:10 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
So you're going to put an office tower on top of an historic theatre? There's thousands of parking lots nearby that can handle the density. Rolling through streetview I realize WPG would be tolerable if every parking lot put up single storey buildings just to complete the streetwall.
It's cantilevered over the theatre, which will remain untouched.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I should of know it would be completely misconstrued as an insult against the artist

Nope. Nothing was misconstruded. You wanted to be rude and insulting and we all got that. Again you keep rambling on like this is some sort of official design competition when we are here doing this purely for fun. Just stay out of these threads if all you want to hijack them. Better yet if you do insist on posting why not create something yourself. You might have s bit of fun like tge rest of us.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:12 AM
recession proof

Yeah I've been thinking about the steel frame addition thing. Not certain if heritage designation applies to the exterior or just the interior.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 5:26 PM

I'm attempting to build around the exterior, except for the front entrance the rest of the building looks like it was never meant to be seen.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I'm attempting to build around the exterior, except for the front entrance the rest of the building looks like it was never meant to be seen.
It wasn't... it was the first phase of what was supposed to be a full block sized development, but the rest of it never got off the ground.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 7:50 PM

I decided to fill in the missing space at the front of the theatre, going for an appropriate design that suits the era, incorporating the existing section of facade. I built a residential development in the space around the theatre, with the podium filling up empty space. The office and residential sections are connected by a bridge. I still have a lot of work to do in terms of lighting, streetscape, and vegetation.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 9:07 PM

That's looking really good, I'm also going to be making a connecting bridge pretty much in the same location that will connect the museum/art space. The tower right now is just a massing idea but I think I will reduce it in height. I'm using the grasslands in western Manitoba as inspiration for facades and public art. The boxy section is meant to represent movie screens, and I plan on leaving the steal beams exposed. It doesn't look like much at the moment but when I start uv mapping it and texturing it should start to come together more. I plan on adding one more smaller tower that will be solely residential. The current tower will have office hotel and residential in it.

cummings_06 by Andrew Moore, on Flickr

cummings_05 by Andrew Moore, on Flickr

Last edited by TorontoDrew; May 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada