HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:54 PM

How the hell does Saskatoon make more sense than Halifax to you?!?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:10 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
How the hell does Saskatoon make more sense than Halifax to you?!?
yeah that was the point that made me shake my head too.

Clearly Halifax will not be in a position to have an NHL team any time soon... no argument. Winnipeg can carely afford it, and they have twice the population.

London is a fairly reasonable comparison in terms of size and lifestyle, but does benefit for a bigger regional population and proximity to a major airport.

Saskatoon on the other hand... seriously? Halifax has a better chance of getting a team than Saskatoon. The comment about air connections particularly made me laugh. They clearly have never flown out of both airports. It is WAY harder to get from Saskatoon to a major US hub, than it is from Hfx. Obviously NHL charter flights anyway, so commercial flights are irrelevant, but having a 1.5 hour or less flight to get to any of Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo (i.e. the division they would play in) or even NYC, NJ and Philly is not bad at all. There are certainly other teams in the NHL that have to fly much bigger distances to get to that many other teams in that length of time. Heck, Hfx is probably as close to some of the western conference teams like Chicago as Saskatoon is!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 6:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Saskatoon has many advantages for hockey:

-flat as a pancake
-below freezing most of the time
-plentiful wheat to feed to players
-running water since 1983

I'm sure there are others I can't think of.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 6:44 PM
Fizzix geek

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Enjoyable reading in here, but guys keep dreaming. Maybe some day you might get a NHL team, but then maybe someday the World will come to an end.....

Don't even compare Halifax to Saskatoon, London, or any other city. Yes it has some pluses but it also has some minuses. Just like any other city.

Plus being the airport? Come on folks any city with NHL dreams has an airport with commercial flights. Who is going to want to fly to Halifax from the West coast or the Southern States?

Quoting Keith P "What an Idiot"

Canada's 15 busiest airports by passenger traffic
Rank Airport Location Total
Passengers Annual
change
1 Toronto Pearson International Airport Toronto 31,842,413[2] 4.9%
2 Vancouver International Airport Vancouver 16,779,709[3] 3.7%
3 Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport Montreal 12,971,229[4] 6.1%
4 Calgary International Airport Calgary 12,630,695[5] 3.7%
5 Edmonton International Airport Edmonton 6,089,099[6] 0.0%
6 Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Ottawa 4,473,894[7] 5.7%

7 Halifax Stanfield International Airport Halifax 3,508,153[8] 2.6%
8 Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport Winnipeg 3,369,974[9] -0.3%
9 Victoria International Airport Victoria 1,514,713[10] -1.2%
10 Kelowna International Airport Kelowna 1,391,725[11] 1.8%
11 St. John's International Airport St. John's 1,318,713[12] 8.0%
12 Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport Saskatoon 1,215,923[12] 5.1%
13 Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport Quebec City 1,190,088[13] 15.0%
14 Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Toronto 1,130,625[14] 46.7%
15 Regina International Airport Regina 1,120,134[15] 9.6%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

Hmmm, Halifax has the the busiest airport in Canada that is not an Canadian NHL city, even busier than the newest NHL city Winnipeg.

http://jetset.flyhalifax.com/index3.html

Quote:
Arena? not even close. Halifax ranks behind Hamilton, Saskatoon, Quebec City, heck even London in that department. No way, no how will the city get a team with the current facility.

All of these cities need new or substanially upgraded arenas.

Hamilton: Crappy old arena
Quebec City: even crappier old arena
London: Smaller arena than Halifax
Saskatoon: only about half the population of Halifax (plus most people would rather live in Siberia than Saskatoon)

Also Manitoba (1.2 Million) is smaller in population than the Maritimes (1.8 Million) which are geographically smaller than all of Manitoba.

Halifax is not looking that bad if they are to build a new Arena for a NHL team in the next couple decades (which they would have to like all the other potential cities mentioned).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:30 PM
we built this city

This is clearly a joke, its almost impossible to get a flight into Saskatoon (less flights from less places, plus everything goes through Calgary anyway)... a much smaller city, which is farther away from big cities as compared to Halifax's proximity to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, New York, Philly, etc etc.

I detect a bit of western bias in everything I read these days.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 7:48 AM

Wow never realized how sensitive you newfie are..... (joke) so don't start bashing, but bring it on if you choose.

I have been across Canada one end to the other and have flown through a lot more airports than most of you. Yes Saskatoon doesn't have great connections, but neither does Halifax.

You have as much chance or less as Saskatoon does getting a team, but we do have one huge advantage over you. We have an arena :-)
Push comes to shove a team could relocate tomorrow to the arena. What can you offer?

An older buildin much smaller with no chance of expansion. hmmm. Guess thats why Saskatoon has a c+ and Halifax has a c. lol........

Good luck, keep the dream alive, maybe get out of Halifax and see the rest of the World some day. lolololololololol

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Quoting Keith P "What an Idiot"

Canada's 15 busiest airports by passenger traffic
Rank Airport Location Total
Passengers Annual
change
1 Toronto Pearson International Airport Toronto 31,842,413[2] 4.9%
2 Vancouver International Airport Vancouver 16,779,709[3] 3.7%
3 Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport Montreal 12,971,229[4] 6.1%
4 Calgary International Airport Calgary 12,630,695[5] 3.7%
5 Edmonton International Airport Edmonton 6,089,099[6] 0.0%
6 Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Ottawa 4,473,894[7] 5.7%

7 Halifax Stanfield International Airport Halifax 3,508,153[8] 2.6%
8 Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport Winnipeg 3,369,974[9] -0.3%
9 Victoria International Airport Victoria 1,514,713[10] -1.2%
10 Kelowna International Airport Kelowna 1,391,725[11] 1.8%
11 St. John's International Airport St. John's 1,318,713[12] 8.0%
12 Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport Saskatoon 1,215,923[12] 5.1%
13 Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport Quebec City 1,190,088[13] 15.0%
14 Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Toronto 1,130,625[14] 46.7%
15 Regina International Airport Regina 1,120,134[15] 9.6%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orts_in_Canada

Hmmm, Halifax has the the busiest airport in Canada that is not an Canadian NHL city, even busier than the newest NHL city Winnipeg.

http://jetset.flyhalifax.com/index3.html

All of these cities need new or substanially upgraded arenas.

Ham?ilton: Crappy old arena
Quebec City: even crappier old arena
London: Smaller arena than Halifax
Saskatoon: only about half the population of Halifax (plus most people would rather live in Siberia than Saskatoon)

Also Manitoba (1.2 Million) is smaller in population than the Maritimes (1.8 Million) which are geographically smaller than all of Manitoba.

Halifax is not looking that bad if they are to build a new Arena for a NHL team in the next couple decades (which they would have to like all the other potential cities mentioned).
Noticed you don't knock Saskatoons arena on your list? hmmmm? any reason why? Instead you choose to take a cheap shot about the weather, hmmm. Compensating for a lack of something there?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 8:40 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Wow never realized how sensitive you newfie are..... (joke) so don't start bashing, but bring it on if you choose.

I have been across Canada one end to the other and have flown through a lot more airports than most of you. Yes Saskatoon doesn't have great connections, but neither does Halifax.

You have as much chance or less as Saskatoon does getting a team, but we do have one huge advantage over you. We have an arena :-)
Push comes to shove a team could relocate tomorrow to the arena. What can you offer?

An older buildin much smaller with no chance of expansion. hmmm. Guess thats why Saskatoon has a c+ and Halifax has a c. lol........

Good luck, keep the dream alive, maybe get out of Halifax and see the rest of the World some day. lolololololololol
We have an internet troll! It is best just to starve a troll - or in other words, just ignore it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 2:29 PM

Wow what a troll! Is this guy from Saskatoon? And as for your arena, sure it may have 14,000 seat capacity but it looks like something out of the NHL in the 1970's... Plus it looks like its in the middle of nowhere.. Or maybe that's your downtown core who knows it is Saskatchewan after all.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 4:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Wow never realized how sensitive you newfie are ... I have been across Canada one end to the other and have flown through a lot more airports than most of you.
Yet you remain geographically illiterate.

Bottom line is most of us don't care about whether or not Saskatoon gets an NHL team. I wish you guys the best of luck. Now go away. You have your own section of SSP. If you continue to pollute this one I'll delete your posts and eventually you will be suspended.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 6:05 PM

Someone has to stand up for Halifax

That's the great education system in Saskatoon well actually all of western Canadians generally suck at geography everything east of Quebec is Newfie-Land and the funniest part is that he told us to get out and see the world, well Dalreg, I know when I go on a trip you definitely wouldn't be my navigator. In regards to your pint-sized city with a lower regional population, it's a nice quaint little city of 225,000 which might seem a big pimple on the prairie to you but I'm sorry to tell you it ranks 23rd for population in Canadian cities, while we sit 13th with an extra 600,000 people within relative driving distance. I've flown out of Saskatoon's crummy little airport and to put it on par with our award winning facility is laughable, I can go to our airport and catch a flight to Europe, NY, Chicago, Boston, Vancouver or anywhere out West. I can take a direct flight to Cuba and many other Caribbean destinations and don't forget we have pre-clearance which allows people flying to those southern States to deal with customs here and skip the worst part of flying to the States. Saskatoon has one thing going for it, a provincial government that has empty province with lots of resource revenue from farming, potash (which you guys almost lost your control of), Uranium (which isn't the most popular fuel to make energy these days) and a few natural gas wells found close to the Alberta border. I ask you this one question have you ever heard someone from outside of Saskatchewan ever say "Hey, I feel like moving to Saskatoon" probably not because you have 1 university compared to our 3 and 2 others within a 2 hour drive. The best view in Saskatoon, other than the Bez, is the view as your leaving on the flat and straight highway to Winnipeg. So before you start talking about a city you know so little about, do a little research instead and you might not come across as another uneducated Western Canadian who feels they can bash on the East Coast just because you tear apart your province for profit, I've worked in the oil field out West and seen the awe-inspiring environmental controls you put in place and we will see in 25-30 years (which is around the same time you might have a chance to get a NHL team) at how empty and dead your rivers and streams will be, how fallow your fields will be and how still no one will wants to live in Saskatoon

Last edited by TheNovaScotian; Jun 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 9:15 PM
we built this city

Quote:

Hey dude, I've actually lived in Saskatoon before... have you lived in Halifax? Have you even been here before? Its not as small as you may think... in fact, Dartmouth alone is probably the size of Saskatoon.

I'm not trying to bash at all... I think Saskatoon is a nice small city.

Halifax does have much better connections compared to Saskatoon, that's just a fact. At the same time, facility wise, Halifax Metro Centre is quite impressive and does have potential for expansion.

Most importantly, our population is much more significant. These are all the factors that make this grading questionable.

I don't even know if some of the larger markets in Canada could sustain an NHL franchise, so this whole discussion is kind of pointless.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 9:20 PM
we built this city

Quote:

Also, this is a rediculous statement to make to people who are alot less insular. Going on a weekend trip to Edmonton doesn't qualify as "worldly".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Enjoyable reading in here, but guys keep dreaming. Maybe some day you might get a NHL team, but then maybe someday the World will come to an end.....

Don't even compare Halifax to Saskatoon, London, or any other city. Yes it has some pluses but it also has some minuses. Just like any other city.

Plus being the airport? Come on folks any city with NHL dreams has an airport with commercial flights. Who is going to want to fly to Halifax from the West coast or the Southern States?

Arena? not even close. Halifax ranks behind Hamilton, Saskatoon, Quebec City, heck even London in that department. No way, no how will the city get a team with the current facility.

Keep dreaming and maybe someday......

Yes you're right don't even compare Halifax to Saskatoon because Halifax is way more of a city than Saskatoon.

Last edited by Haliguy; Jun 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:

I think he's actually from Saskatchatoon.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 12:38 AM

I'd say I was complimented by the nickname, but most people from The Rock, abhor the moniker, "newfies". So Maritimers if you feel comfortable enough, please.

Careful or we could make the mistake of labelling you an upper Canadian.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 6:38 AM
Account Hacked

Wow, how quickly this thread has turned into a Saskatoon vs. Halifax thread

As someone from Nova Scotia, who has lived in Halifax from 2004-2009 to someone who now lives in Saskatchewan and will be moving to the S'toon area in a few months I feel I can make some comparisons here.

I'm going to try my hardest not to bash S'toon (i'm here for employment purposes only, I would never choose to live here) but when comparing it to Halifax it doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I will say the Credit Union Centre is probably slightly ahead of the Metro Centre but only due to it's seating capacity. Both are outdated designs which are not even remotely close to being NHL calibre arenas so they really should both be non factors. Before any NHL team comes to either city new arenas would be required. Although the Metro Centre does have the edge in terms of location as the Credit Union Centre is located in basically what amounts to a Burnside Industrial Park.

As far as air travel goes, no comparison. YXE offers some connections on par with YHZ (YYZ, ORD, YOW, YYC) but not at nearly the frequency or equipment size. The stats already prove that YHZ, with it's world class award winning facility is way ahead. YXE does have a major expansion planned but will still be light years behind YHZ.

People in S'toon and Sask. in general rave about the economy and how strong it is due to high priced commodities such as potash and uranium. For the most part a lot of this is marketing hype. Less than 2% of the population of S'toon are employed by mining. Home Depot and Wal*Mart are bigger employers in S'toon. This could be a good thing though as it will help soften the blow when the Chinese economy grinds to a halt and stops buying potash. You're seeing the effects of this on Uranium prices now as China has already began scaling back it's large scale nuclear plans and this is bad news for S'toon.

In the period from Nov 2009 to Nov 2010 S'toon lost 4,300 jobs. Unemployment is continuing to grow as S'toon attracts more and more individuals with little or no wealth such as Natives from northern reserves.

The fact of the matter is that S'toon is a city which has seen false growth as most everything here is built on credit. The Provincial Government has increased spending over 30% over the last 3 and a half years. The City of Saskatoon has doubled spending in the last 5 years, while Saskatoon consumers have led or been near the top of consumer spending growth in the nation at the same time. This on top of the fact that S'toon has one of the most grossly over inflated housing markets in all of Canada does not bode well for the future.

Not all is as it seems in S'toon, the city is in for rude awakening in a couple years time and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Now don't even get me started on the lack of culture here!

When the dust settles Halifax is much better posistioned to some day be home to an NHL team.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:54 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNS View Post
Wow, how quickly this thread has turned into a Saskatoon vs. Halifax thread

As someone from Nova Scotia, who has lived in Halifax from 2004-2009 to someone who now lives in Saskatchewan and will be moving to the S'toon area in a few months I feel I can make some comparisons here.
Good comparisons... I felt the same exact way. One advantage of the Saskatoon airport is it is in the city.

Yet, overall, I felt less safe in many areas of Saskatoon then I do anywhere in Halifax. I wouldn't even go into the Avenue D - Z area.

Anyway, neither city will be getting an NHL team and both are growing quite well. I do, however, see there being a CFL expansion at some point and Halifax is a good candidate for a team.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that Halifax is at least 15-20 years away from being able to support an NHL team. However, if a miracle happened and someone with billions of dollars to spare decided to put a team in Halifax then it could happen sooner (although it is unlikely).
Irving maybe? I'm thinking a NHL team in Halifax in 20-25 years is not unrealistic at all now. Especially given Winnipeg's success in a 15,000 seat arena and a population of only 750,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment