HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 4:20 PM

11/18/2016

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 1:37 PM
BANNED

good to see something happening here.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 2:57 AM

I was told by someone I consider knowledgeable that the CCRA is pushing Southern Land to make changes they want by implying that they have more authority to hold up construction than is true. This person recommends that the company get some legal guidance. An opinion for what it's worth.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
I was told by someone I consider knowledgeable that the CCRA is pushing Southern Land to make changes they want by implying that they have more authority to hold up construction than is true. This person recommends that the company get some legal guidance. An opinion for what it's worth.
Pretty sure SLC didn't undertake a project like this without some knowledgeable attorneys and palm greasers on retainer, assuming they actually intend on building something.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Pretty sure SLC didn't undertake a project like this without some knowledgeable attorneys and palm greasers on retainer, assuming they actually intend on building something.
One would think so. But my source, who is speaking from first hand knowledge, feels otherwise and has been very frustrated by the course of events.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
One would think so. But my source, who is speaking from first hand knowledge, feels otherwise and has been very frustrated by the course of events.
One of my initial concerns that i voiced on this forum when i saw the developer who bought this parcel is turning out to be provident.

These regional developers - especially not from the northeast - who come to towns like Philly with big dreams of grandeur basically show up bringing a knife to a gunfight. At the time, their track record was pretty minimal (not sure if they've since increased their profile) and small-scale which didn't help my concerns.

They're never prepared by how bureaucratic, intense, and frankly ugly trying to get something built in this town can be.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 4:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
One of my initial concerns that i voiced on this forum when i saw the developer who bought this parcel is turning out to be provident.

These regional developers - especially not from the northeast - who come to towns like Philly with big dreams of grandeur basically show up bringing a knife to a gunfight. At the time, their track record was pretty minimal (not sure if they've since increased their profile) and small-scale which didn't help my concerns.

They're never prepared by how bureaucratic, intense, and frankly ugly trying to get something built in this town can be.
it should be that hard to partner up with local lawyers and/or design firms to help navigate the process.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:18 PM

Locked article, but the headline alludes to some disappointing changes from this forum's perspective... how disappointing I have no clue!

Rittenhouse Square project scaled down
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...aled-down.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 4:19 PM

Very disappointing. I hope it's still at least over 400 FT tall. Condo units are gone. It's just the 350 apartments and 55,000 square feet of retail. Here is the text:

Quote:
The developer of a proposed mixed-use tower overlooking Rittenhouse Square in Center City has scaled down the project in response to input from the community.

Southern Land Co. is now looking to construct a 465,000-square-foot building at 1911 Walnut St. rather than a 750,000-square-foot building, said Dustin Downey of Southern Land. The design of the building has also been altered.

“It’s still relatively tall but it’s become less modern and more fitting with Philadelphia,” he said, declining to disclose how many stories it would stand.

Last December, Southern Land had indicated 1911 Walnut would stand between 47 and 50 stories with 342 apartments, between 64 and 75 condominiums, office space and 55,000 square feet of retail space that would wrap around Walnut, Sansom and 20th streets. The retail space would be on the structure’s first three floors.

Those plans were considered to be preliminary and apt to change while the developer received input from a civic group and went through the approval process and indeed, they did change. The office space has been eliminated as well as the condos because of the loss of square footage, Downey said. The retail space is still around 55,000 square feet.

These plans may also be altered as Southern Land continues to finalize discussions with community groups and incorporate some of their suggestions. Even so, Downey anticipates ground breaking to take place mid-2017 and, in the meantime, financing is also being lined up.

“I don’t foresee too many hurdles,” he said.

While those matters are being hammered out, there are also efforts underway to lure a fitness club as a tenant to the project. There’s been speculation and rumors that Equinox, a high-end operator of fitness and spa facilities based in New York, is considering occupying 38,394 square feet of space over three floors of the proposed tower.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...aled-down.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 4:47 PM

“It’s still relatively tall but it’s become less modern and more fitting with Philadelphia,” he said, declining to disclose how many stories it would stand.

^ LAME.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:31 PM

Struggling to understand how it makes sense to eliminate the condos at this location

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Struggling to understand how it makes sense to eliminate the condos at this location
It doesn't... I think the CCRA is forcing a smaller building. Therefore, they have to eliminate some components.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 5:38 PM

And another mediocre building to come!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 9:51 PM

Thanks CCRA

Great effort by the NIMBYs in Rittenhouse square to turn a visionary project into something mediocre and lame...the way they like this city to be. I am so disappointed. These people live in a bubble at the rest of society's expense.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It doesn't... I think the CCRA is forcing a smaller building. Therefore, they have to eliminate some components.
To clarify, my point is that even in the context of a shorter tower being forced by CCRA (assuming that's the case), I get eliminating the office component, but why eliminate the 75 condos instead of eliminating 75ish apartments and keeping the condos? I have to think the returns on condos - especially in this market and especially at this location - would yield greater returns than going all rental. Am I missing something?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:15 PM

Does anybody else have a sinking feeling in the pit of their stomachs that this will turn out to look like 10 Rittenhouse Square?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:44 PM

Well this is both terribly disappointing and not at all surprising.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:20 PM

And this is why Philly has gradually gone from America's most important city to second to third to fourth to fifth to currently no better than seventh and eventually likely to fall out of the top 10. Enough of this "we're not a boom or bust city" crap. Good cities ARE boom cities. Steady growth still means a lag behind peers, and that's assuming steady growth can be maintained. This is a huge overreaction for just this one project and I understand that, but I just feel this project is a microcosm of Philly's shortcomings over time.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:28 PM

What a bummer. I hope the quality doesn't suffer too much, at least. I might expect less glass. Something like The Alexander would be "fitting with Philadelphia," particularly at this location. I never thought the design was particularly amazing anyway and would not care about something "less modern" in this location. But the height cut and elimination of condos is obnoxious. Stupid NIMBYs.

Last edited by jsbrook; Dec 3, 2016 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:41 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
And this is why Philly has gradually gone from America's most important city to second to third to fourth to fifth to currently no better than seventh and eventually likely to fall out of the top 10. Enough of this "we're not a boom or bust city" crap. Good cities ARE boom cities. Steady growth still means a lag behind peers, and that's assuming steady growth can be maintained. This is a huge overreaction for just this one project and I understand that, but I just feel this project is a microcosm of Philly's shortcomings over time.
Is the glass half empty or half full? I just had a short work trip and came back to Philly by way of Amtrak. With the CITC, FMC, Evo, One Riverside all visible from the train station, it felt like Philly was a city on the move (tons of people moving in/out of train station, cars everywhere, FMC and CTC standing out, especially FMC with it letters lit up. Things were getting done here. I can now see why they want to build up the 30th Street Station District. Be proud Philly-things have changed and will keep changing for the better. Business leaders and others want to make the city reach its full potential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive