HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Today, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Every street seems a bit of a lofty goal, but any progress in keeping the city clean is welcome. They mentioned paving as well.

Curious if anyone in the logan square area has heard any rumblings if the ben Franklin parkway redesign. Saw this in a billy penn article from feb, but i don't think the final plan came out:

https://billypenn.com/2024/02/12/eak...state-funding/
I watched a video on YouTube a couple weeks ago on it and had the same question. I didn't know the Parkway is a State road so any changes have to be signed off by PENNDOT. Ugh. At least the Calder Museum is well under way.

Edit: found the video , good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mOMf-Bz9Rw

Last edited by jaysb; Today at 2:23 PM. Reason: add vid

Old Posted Today, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I watched a video on YouTube a couple weeks ago on it and had the same question. I didn't know the Parkway is a State road so any changes have to be signed off by PENNDOT. Ugh. At least the Calder Museum is well under way.
I would say most of Philadelphias high volume multi lane avenues are state roads.

Old Posted Today, 2:35 PM

Penndot is the worst. I'm still pissed we missed the chance to properly cap 676 at logan square. The parkway just sucks so much for walkers and biking, but it really is pretty terrible as a driver too. I am excited about the calder museum though. And i guess I'll remain hopeful about the parkway redesign.

Old Posted Today, 2:54 PM

They're the worst yeah. They're entirely rebuilding and widening 95 and barely making improvements for actual Philadelphians who live next to the highway. Sure they are adding some poorly maintained landscaping around/under 95 but what a missed opportunity.

Look at the underline project in Miami:

Oh well Miami has tropical weather, that would never work in Philly...but here's the Toronto bentway:

The ultimate missed opportunity was for a MFL extension/new branch in the 95 median from Market Street all the way to Snyder etc but I understand that's even more ambitious.

Old Posted Today, 3:33 PM

Yeah i had seen the Toronto one before but not Miami. Both look great and would totally work in Philly. The space under the highway is wasted. And the idea of transit in the median makes a lot of sense. 95 goes through some pretty dense neighborhoods that could use some rapid transit. Might make more sense to just have it continue south to the Navy yard though, given the capacity issues on the mfl. Could share the spring garden station for transfers.

Old Posted Today, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Yeah i had seen the Toronto one before but not Miami. Both look great and would totally work in Philly. The space under the highway is wasted. And the idea of transit in the median makes a lot of sense. 95 goes through some pretty dense neighborhoods that could use some rapid transit. Might make more sense to just have it continue south to the Navy yard though, given the capacity issues on the mfl. Could share the spring garden station for transfers.
Yeah sadly this will never happen. Best we can hope for is light rail in the Delaware/Columbus median which the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation really wants to happen. Their track record is also fantastic. In most other cities, neighborhoods would rally around public transit but with all of the problems the L spreads, I can guarantee that Queen Village, Pennsport, Bella Vista, Whitman and Dickinson Square would want nothing to do with subway access despite the area desperately needing it. 5th and 22nd should really converted into North-South rapid transit light rail or at least bus lane with protected lanes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development