Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:37 PM

Kansas City Has Everything It Needs

Kansas City Has Everything It Needs

October 29, 2020

By Daniel Herriges

Read More: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...thing-it-needs

Quote:
The Kansas City region is a poster child for America’s troubled suburban experiment. And its largest city of Kansas City, Missouri, now faces a painful reckoning with the cost. Decades of misguided decisions have thinned out the city’s population, destroyed the wealth of formerly vibrant neighborhoods, and incurred unsupportable liabilities.

- One thing to understand is that when Kansas City embraced the postwar gospel of freeways (more of them, per capita, than any other major U.S. city), free parking (oceans of it), and tax-subsidized malls and big box stores, it was turning its back on its own biggest strengths. And it wasn't alone: nearly every city did this to some extent in the second half of the twentieth century. — Kansas City proper encapsulates the resulting problems more than many cities because of its annexation practices, which brought huge tracts of suburban land into city limits. Unfortunately, the city has dug itself deeper every time it has tried to rebuild economic strength by playing the suburbs' game, instead of standing in contrast to suburbia as a different kind of place.

- Kansas City is not going to thrive by out-suburb-ing its own suburbs. This is especially true since the border-straddling metro area’s dueling tax structures, as dictated by state laws, provide an incentive for people who work in Missouri to live in Kansas. The assessment rate for residential property, the percent of its value that property tax is calculated on is 11.5% in Kansas versus 19% in Missouri. — But even without the tax differential fueling westward expansion into the Kansas suburbs, it would be true that suburban-style development is a money loser, producing less concentrated wealth while infrastructure liabilities such as roads, water and sewer are proportionately higher, sometimes by more than tenfold. And in a city that has not seen rapid population growth since the 1950s, and has experienced massive depopulation in its core, spending public money to do things that further suburbanize Kansas City is not a tenable path forward.

- Want a prosperous and resilient future? Embrace being something the suburbs can't match. That something is already in Kansas City’s own DNA. We said early on that Kansas City was a showpiece for City Beautiful ideas and thoughtful pre-automobile planning. But we didn't really illustrate what that meant. Here are a few strengths Kansas City can draw on that are rich parts of the city’s own inheritance. — Kansas City is a veritable alphabet of Missing Middle buildings. Duplexes, fourplexes, townhouses, small apartment buildings, all of various sizes and shapes: all of them are here, and they comprise much of the residential fabric of the older, originally streetcar-anchored neighborhoods that make up a disproportionate share of the city’s wealth.

Just a few economic development missteps:

• A giant stadium complex, situated at a junction of freeways on the outskirts of the city: an ideal location to attract suburban Kansas residents, but one that produces few spillover economic benefits for surrounding neighborhoods as a result of its design as an isolated, drive-in island. And this complex has enough parking to fit one-fifth of the entire city at once, at four to a car. Unsurprisingly, it has drawn controversy over the years over its repeated use of public subsidies.

• Tax incentives used for suburban retail: $27 million to redevelop a shuttered mall as a cluster of chain retail stores with less square footage than the mall it replaces, and now worth less than half of the public investment alone.

• Tax incentives used to replace a fine-grained urban neighborhood with a Home Depot and Costco that are substantially less valuable to the city than the surviving small buildings adjacent to them.

Newer, more contemporary buildings, too, have sprung up that fit into or build off of the same basic forms and patterns.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 6:47 PM
All man. Half nuts.

reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6pmZE1Qtyw

Quote:
EVERYTHING'S UP TO DATE IN KANSAS CITY
From the stage show "Oklahoma"
(Richard Rodgers / Oscar Hammerstein II)

Will Parker & Chorus

I went to Kansas City on a Friday
By Saturday I learned a thing or two
But up 'till then I didn't have an idea
Of what the mod'rn world was comin' to.
I counted twenty gas buggies goin' by theirselves
Almost every time I took a walk
An' then I put my ear to a bell telephone
An' a strange woman started into talk.
What next! What next?

Everything's up to date in Kansas City
They gone about as fer as they can go
They went an' built a skyscraper seven stories high
About as high as a buildin' orta grow.
Everything's like a dream in Kansas City
It's better than a magic lantern show.
You can turn the radiator on whenever you want some heat
With every kind of comfort every house is all complete.
You could walk the privees in the rain and never wet your feet!
They've gone about as fer as they can go.
They've gone about as fer as they can go!

Everything's up to date in Kansas City
They've gone about as fer as they can go
They got a big theatre they call a burleque
For fifty cents you could see a dandy show!
One of the gals is fat and pink and pretty
As round above as she was round below
I could swear that she was padded from her shoulder to her heel
But then she started dancin' and her dancin' made me feel
That every single thing she had was absolutely real!
She went about as fer as she could go
Yes, Sir! She went about as fer as she could go!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 6:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It even has two states

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It even has two states
oregon has six states. or oregon country does.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:14 PM

This is an interesting article. Annexation and city/county mergers get a lot of praise, especially in cities that have experienced major population decline. But this article actually tells the potential flip-side to the annexation narrative.

I'd be interested to see more of a comparison between Columbus and Kansas City in terms of development patterns and density in outlying areas. Columbus has annexed a ton over the years and has very sprawling borders, but I have not seen any pieces like this one from KC. I don't think the city of Columbus is perceived negatively like it appears to be in KC. So the suburban areas in the city limits actually can compete and beat the suburbs at their own game. Maybe the quality of the school district is the largest determinant here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions