HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:02 PM

Well, this is definitely today's biggest news story about announcements related to new things Hamilton is going to get in the future!

https://www.tsn.ca/nll-s-toronto-roc...lton-1.1637860

NLL's Toronto Rock relocating to Hamilton

HAMILTON — The Toronto Rock are returning to their original home.

The National Lacrosse League team announced Tuesday it has reached a five-year agreement to relocate from Scotiabank Arena to Hamilton’s First Ontario Centre, starting with the planned 2021-22 season.

The agreement comes with a team option for a multi-year extension.

"There are a lot of reasons with a lot of layers to this decision, but when all things were considered, we feel this is best for the future of the Toronto Rock and we’re very excited to work with FirstOntario Centre," Jamie Dawick, the Rock's owner, president and general manager said in a release.

"There is a strong business case behind the relocation to Hamilton, including a significant reduction in game operations costs as well as the opportunities that exist to better connect with our fan base and most importantly grow that fan base and increase revenues."

The franchise played its first season at what was then known as Copps Coliseum after joining the NLL in 1998 as the Ontario Raiders.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:06 PM
It's a nickname from work

"When you're travelling and you have a brand … no disrespect to the people in Hamilton … but around North America a lot of people would look at you and think you're talking about Bermuda."
- owner Jamie Dawick

Probably shouldn't have insulted their new home city right out the gate, eh?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
"When you're travelling and you have a brand … no disrespect to the people in Hamilton … but around North America a lot of people would look at you and think you're talking about Bermuda."
- owner Jamie Dawick

Probably shouldn't have insulted their new home city right out the gate, eh?
Also who doesn't know of Bermuda? There's literally a triangle named after the area. This is like saying "Nobody knows where Winnipeg is if you're in New Brunswick".

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

The owner seems a bit of a dick but I wonder if this will push the new group to renovate Copps sooner than later. Like get all of the escalators working again.

It's likely they've invested too much on the name Toronto Rocks, clothing, marketing, merchandise, etc. If they stay at Copps a year or two later I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ontario Rocks.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The owner seems a bit of a dick but I wonder if this will push the new group to renovate Copps sooner than later. Like get all of the escalators working again.

It's likely they've invested too much on the name Toronto Rocks, clothing, marketing, merchandise, etc. If they stay at Copps a year or two later I wouldn't be surprised if it's Ontario Rocks.
I suspect the same thing about the name change.

Who would have thought the last time our NHL dreams got squashed that 10 years later, there would be three (semi)pro sports teams playing their home games at Copps?

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Video Link

I went to the Raiders' first game. I'd never seen a lacrosse game live before, and it was fun.

Call them whatever they want. I'm not going to get peeved if the league/team wants to refer to the Rock as "Toronto" in the USA, or even in the other Canadian cities that have teams (I assume those folks will know better!). For home games I doubt the team will use any city name references in their marketing or gameday announcements.

The important thing is getting fans out, once the pandemic subsides. There will be a pent up demand for those activities so that gives me hope they'll do better this time.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:13 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Lots of good news for Hamilton today, lets keep this momentum going! I've only seen street amateur lacrosse before, looking for to some high energy professional games!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 11:13 PM

Good to see over 10K at First Ontario. The Rock attendance has been higher than I thought it would be.

Hot Rock a winner before 10,000 fans in Hamilton

https://www.thespec.com/sports/lacro...thespec_sports

The Rock know that, in this town, when it comes to winning they’re not alone.
Definitely not alone in their own arena — where they drew 10,047 Saturday night — and definitely not on the overall city sports scene. The Bulldogs, the Tiger-Cats, Forge FC, even Team Canada when it shows up here. They all expect to win, and usually do.
Cue the Rock who, after a slow start in their return to Hamilton, have now won nine of their last 11 games, including Saturday’s full value 15-7 win over the visiting Halifax Thunderbirds, who’d taken the previous two meetings between the clubs. The victory guaranteed the Rock (12-5) home floor for the sudden-death first round of the National Lacrosse League playoffs in three weeks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation