HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Of all places I wouldn't expect a sinkhole it's downtown Ottawa. Ottawa is built on solid rock.
It's a sign from God.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Of all places I wouldn't expect a sinkhole it's downtown Ottawa. Ottawa is built on solid rock.
East of the Rideau Canal is not bedrock in most places. Much of that area is referred to as 'Sandy Hill' or is infilled former swamp land.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 9:19 PM

Quote:
To build on lrt's freind's comment, this (along with the tunnel portals) is the only spot that's not in bedrock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Looks like we have a collapse at Rideau station.
This is the only stretch of the tunnel that's not running through bedrock.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:36 AM
More transit please

Two new pictures released by CDPQ Infra

Kirkland Station

Entering Central Station from the south

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 1:39 AM
Look at me!

The entrance to downtown from the Bonaventure / CN viaduct is already impressive now. I can only imagine it once the highway has been turned into an urban boulevard and the surrounding lands will yield to towers up to 200m tall.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 4:56 AM

I know about Sandy Hill as I use to live there. I thought, however, that the core near Wellington was solid rock?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:06 PM
Closed account

There is an old river channel in the bed rock that is now filled with sand at this exact location.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:21 PM
Community Guy

City of Edmonton

City of Edmonton

City of Edmonton

Civic Precinct Advisory Committee Meeting – TransEd Presentation
On Thursday, June 1st, 2016, Michelle Ponich, a representative TransEd attended the Civic Precinct Advisory Committee meeting. The following information was shared:
• TransEd Partners is composed of Bechtel, EllisDon, Bombardier Rail, and Fengate Capital Management Ltd., together with the added expertise of Transportation Canada Inc., Arup Canada and IBI Group—this construction consortium represents world leading experts in design, engineering, construction, transportation solutions, project management and finance.

• Construction of stage one of the Valley Line LRT will connect Mill Woods to downtown Edmonton with about 13 km of light rail transit. This stage includes 11 stops, an elevated station incorporating a transit centre and Park & Ride, and a transfer point to the existing LRT at Churchill Square.

• The Valley Line is different from the type of LRT Edmonton now operates. The Valley Line features new, low-floor, urban-styled vehicles that will provide more pedestrian-friendly access at street level stops. And, in residential and commercial areas, embedded tracks will be integrated to the established design and traffic flow of the area.

• This model allows for greater potential cost savings, innovation and on-time delivery—giving Edmontonians the best value for their tax dollars.

• We are in very early stages of construction of the Valley Line. The work that has taken place and is currently underway is preparatory. All necessary in advance of construction commencing.

• The construction schedule is currently under review by the City of Edmonton and information will be shared with stakeholders when it becomes available.

Specifically speaking to Churchill Square and the impacts that are currently known:
• As it stands, there will be no construction impacts to festivals during the summer of 2016.

• TransEd does not control utilities but will endeavour to encourage the Utility companies to avoid key festival dates.
• At this point in regards to Utility work during summer 2016; there will be utility work happening in the areas of 102nd Avenue between 95th street and 96th street and possibly between 102nd avenue and Jasper Avenue during the summer months. This work will happen below grade thus not impacting the festivals taking place during this time. As will all aspects of construction, this is subject to change.

• It is unknown at this time what the impacts in 2016 & 2017 to 100th and 101st avenues will be.

• TransEd will continue to provide pertinent information to the Churchill Square Stakeholders as it becomes available and is looking forward to a continued relationship to ensure any impacts will be minimal.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:24 PM

Ew, the Valley line isn't completely grade separated . The architecture looks great and some parts remind me of Vancouver's skytrain.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:25 AM
Community Guy

Benefits of the streetcar and design of sky, win win.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:34 AM

I hope they don't screw up the signaling system and road interaction like they di on the Metro Line.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Benefits of the streetcar and design of sky, win win.
No, it's a huge mistake. If they can't afford to do it right then don't do it at all. Calgary's about to make the same mistake but hopefully enough people bitch that they change plans.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 8:43 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
No, it's a huge mistake. If they can't afford to do it right then don't do it at all. Calgary's about to make the same mistake but hopefully enough people bitch that they change plans.
Yes, I think the line should be done properly from the start, sacrificing stations and/or length until more money comes.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:49 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
I hope they don't screw up the signaling system and road interaction like they di on the Metro Line.
Totally different companies, totally different technologies, no interlining with the existing system, all contracts wrapped in the P3 and not split between departments. Can't even compare it to the Metro Line.

As to the design, it will be fine. The point of the line isn't to whisk residents from far-flung suburbs into the core as quickly as possible, which just encourages more outward sprawl. One of the main goals of the line is to provide new transportation options to residents along the line, and to encourage and spur more infill and density within the city's existing footprint. This has been discussed here many times before.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 1:54 PM
More transit please

Good to see Edmonton getting more LRT. Any idea on the look of the low-floor vehicles?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:20 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:32 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Hopefully you won't get the same problems Toronto and Kitchener are having.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:24 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Definitely a concern, but we're being told that the P3 consortium have an option to swap out the vehicle manufacturer if Bombardier looks to become an issue.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ Definitely a concern, but we're being told that the P3 consortium have an option to swap out the vehicle manufacturer if Bombardier looks to become an issue.
That surprises me.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 5:49 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Oh me too, and I'm still very skeptical about how that works, but it is what we have been told.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada