HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:22 PM
TL;DR

^ The anti-discrimination aspects of Fair Housing apply only to real estate professionals, a politician can say what they want to say since they're not technically involved in the process of building, selling, or leasing the housing units.

Usually the enforcement of the law trends toward protection of dis-advantaged groups; for example, the law prohibits any discrimination based on familial status, but families with children are considered to be a dis-advantaged group while families or individuals without children are not. It can cut both ways, though - just as I can see a landlord in a big city apartment complex discriminating against families with kids, I could see a real estate agent in a religious part of the country discriminating against childless couples or non-traditional families, so it's important to have the law be neutral.

However, the mix of units a builder chooses to provide is not (in itself) a form of discrimination, outside of accessibility laws mandating a certain amount of accessible units. The law leaves the mix of units up to the builder and local zoning authorities to determine.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I'll defer to you guys because I'm not a real estate agent, but is it really a violation or discrimination for a politician to comment on housing mix? For example if an alderman says "I'm being told by people that it's hard for families to find housing, that means there needs to be more 3-4 bedroom units in the mix", is that discriminating against people who don't have kids?
Is it discrimination against families to want affordable studios and 1 bedrooms?

If we're at the point where saying "I want more 4 bedrooms built" is a fair housing violation because it restricts supply of studios, then we have a massive housing shortage and should focus on that.
That's the thing. If you're looking at the entire city, the affordable housing waiting list by far consists of people looking for studios and 1-Bedrooms. These are seniors, homeless, disabled of all races - people on fixed incomes who really do have nowhere else to go and have trouble finding roommates.

There's actually a quite decent supply of affordable larger apartments throughout the city. But they're not in the school districts and neighborhoods that families want most. But poor schools and violence are not a developer's responsibility to solve.

So yeah, the alderman has sorta decided ahead of time who he and a vocal group of constituents want to house, and not who the city needs to house.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I'll defer to you guys because I'm not a real estate agent, but is it really a violation or discrimination for a politician to comment on housing mix? For example if an alderman says "I'm being told by people that it's hard for families to find housing, that means there needs to be more 3-4 bedroom units in the mix", is that discriminating against people who don't have kids?
Is it discrimination against families to want affordable studios and 1 bedrooms?

If we're at the point where saying "I want more 4 bedrooms built" is a fair housing violation because it restricts supply of studios, then we have a massive housing shortage and should focus on that.
But that's the thing, he isn't saying "I want 4 bedroom units", he is saying he wants "family housing". As a licensed broker I could lose my license, be fined up to $25k and possibly even serve jail time if I so much as said that, let alone went on the record with a newspaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ The anti-discrimination aspects of Fair Housing apply only to real estate professionals, a politician can say what they want to say since they're not technically involved in the process of building, selling, or leasing the housing units.

Usually the enforcement of the law trends toward protection of dis-advantaged groups; for example, the law prohibits any discrimination based on familial status, but families with children are considered to be a dis-advantaged group while families or individuals without children are not. It can cut both ways, though - just as I can see a landlord in a big city apartment complex discriminating against families with kids, I could see a real estate agent in a religious part of the country discriminating against childless couples or non-traditional families, so it's important to have the law be neutral.

However, the mix of units a builder chooses to provide is not (in itself) a form of discrimination, outside of accessibility laws mandating a certain amount of accessible units. The law leaves the mix of units up to the builder and local zoning authorities to determine.
Yes, but this is where I think it will eventually be litigated. We aren't talking about developer's choice of unit mix, we are talking about government representatives saying things that would be blatantly illegal if they were landlords, developers, or licensed agents. Again, it's not illegal for a developer to say "I want to build more 3 bedroom units" just as it's not illegal for them to say "I don't want to buy in inner city neighborhoods, I am going to invest only in the suburbs". But it would be illegal for them to say "I don't want to rent to unmarried couples" or "I don't want to invest in black neighborhoods so I'm investing only in the suburbs".

You are correct, however, that the law really only applies to landlords, brokers, bankers, etc. Where it becomes a sticky issue is that guess who is the biggest landlord in Chicago? The CHA which is a municipal corporation and very much subject to fair housing laws. The only reason aldermen have gotten away with saying these things so far is that the Mayor appoints the CHA board and the city council doesn't have direct control.

Which brings me to the argument I've posted here before: aldermen might not be able to be prosecuted individually under the fair housing act, BUT they might find themselves in Trumpesque hot water from a policy perspective at some point. What I mean by that is courts do not just consider the letter of the law and whether your proposal technically violates it, they consider context and intent. When Trump's "Muslim Ban" was manifested in the form a "ban that just happens to be all Muslim countries plus North Korea", the courts immediately struck it down because they considered the context and intent. They took the things Trump said and considered the law he proposed in the context of multiple quotes about how bad Muslims are and how he was going to ban them.

My question is how long until someone sues the city over a proposed zoning change (which is an ordinance, i.e. a law just like the muslim ban) because the Alderman sponsoring it has had multiple staffers state that the goal is to "stop too many white people from moving in" or to "provide more housing for families"? Just as Trump can't go around saying he's going to ban Muslims and expect the courts not to eventually attack his policy proposals with his words, alderman shouldn't expect to be able to parade around saying things that blatantly violate fair housing laws and expect not to eventually get the city, CHA, or their buddies who are affordable housing developers sued in the same manner.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:55 PM

I guess I just don't understand how "family housing" is a euphemism for anything negative. It means big units, right? A 4-bedroom can be rented by a straight family, a gay family, a single mother with 3 kids, or 4 friends. Discrimination would be on the sales/rental end, not in construction.
If someone can point to an alderman telling a developer not to rent to "those people", then fire away with the lawsuits.

I mean, "traffic and congestion" are much more real euphemisms when an alderman says they're going to chop 10 floors and 200 units off a development. That's where supply of studios and single bedrooms is actually restricted. If it's discrimination to say "family housing", it should equally be discrimination for an alderman to say "This development is too tall, too dense and out of context with the neighborhood"

The only thing creating a zero-sum game between single-occupant housing and family housing is the city restricting zoning and chopping down developments.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:47 AM

^ The law isn't about "negative euphemisms" it's about what things you can discriminate based on in housing. One of those protected classes is quite literally "familial status". That means you can't refuse to rent to people with kids. That means you can't refuse to rent to unmarried people. That means you can't refuse to rent to single people. So where does an elected official get off saying "we need more families to move here" which is quite literally saying "we need to discriminate against single people"....

If they were saying "we need a more diverse unit mix" or "our neighborhood lacks larger rental units" that would be one thing, but they aren't. They are saying we need more families and less single people in our neighborhood which is quite literally illegal if you are in any way involved with the sale or rental of real estate.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:55 AM

The only way “more families” equals “fewer single people” is if the supply of housing is restricted. Otherwise developers will build enough units for everyone who wants to live in a neighborhood. We want these neighborhoods to grow, and grow for everyone. It should not be zero-sum.
I don’t see any issue with an alderman saying he wants more families. That’s natural, kids are natural. The problem is saying “I want ONLY families, and cut that 300 unit building down to 80 units, and make it all 3 bedrooms”.

Last edited by aaron38; Jun 11, 2019 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
The only way “more families” equals “fewer single people” is if the supply of housing is restricted. Otherwise developers will build enough units for everyone who wants to live in a neighborhood.
I don’t see any issue with an alderman saying he wants more families. That’s natural, kids are natural. The issue is saying “I want more families, and cut that 300 unit building down to 80 units, and make it all 3 bedrooms”.
I think you're right and there isn't anything wrong with saying that you value families. However, it has been a strategy for decades to wink as one says "We want more three bedroom condos and apartments." What is plainly meant is "We want to make it more challenging for lower income folks to afford this neighborhood by only supplying housing that comes in large sizes."

It was said when they banned courtyard buildings. It was said when they banned 4+1's. It's said every time a building is proposed that contains a significant number of studios. It's said whenever a suburb imposes a large minimum lot size. Saying "we want family housing" is sometimes like saying, "I favor state's rights" instead of openly supporting some unpalatable initiative that a state may have proposed. It's a commonly understood to be coded language.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
The only way “more families” equals “fewer single people” is if the supply of housing is restricted. Otherwise developers will build enough units for everyone who wants to live in a neighborhood. We want these neighborhoods to grow, and grow for everyone. It should not be zero-sum.
I don’t see any issue with an alderman saying he wants more families. That’s natural, kids are natural. The problem is saying “I want ONLY families, and cut that 300 unit building down to 80 units, and make it all 3 bedrooms”.
Fair enough, and maybe it isn't the case here, but Ordo is right, "family units" is a dog whistle for "less scary single people". It's also, as I said above, not the way the law works at least for professionals. For example, as a broker you aren't even allowed to say something like "JUST STEPS FROM THE TRAIN!" in a listing anymore because the word "STEPS" is considered discriminatory against handicapped people who can't walk. I know it sounds absurd, but this is very much how the law works and, as Ordo said, there is a LONG history of winks and nudges in real estate that resulted in generational segregation of poverty along race and other lines which is why we have laws like this to begin with.

Sure, they may not be saying "we want less single people", but a good litmus test as to whether something should be said is to replace the word in question with "white". If you change the sentence "we need more housing for families" to "we need more housing for whites", well, you get the picture...

And that's what they beat into you in RE continuing education these days; the language of anything you say about housing must be absolutely and totally neutral or you will eventually get sued. You do not go into describing the potential buyer, you don't say "close to hip bars and restaurants, perfect for the hip single young professional" or "right next to the park, perfect for famlies". You leave it at "close to the hottest bars and restaurants" or "right by the park". You are drilled to stick to only describing the property itself and the location in the most factual terms possible. Politicians would be wise to do the same. If you want larger units then shut your damned mouth about who you want to rent those units and stick with "we already have a ton of 1 and 2 bedroom units, could you include more larger units?"

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:43 PM

Herman Miller moving their showroom from The Mart to Fulton Market - specifically 1100 Fulton Market. That is a planned development which will rehab the building there and make an addition which is currently a small surface lot. In total, they'll take up 45,000 square ft. Knoll did the same thing very recently. Herman Miller has been at The Mart since 1939

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:11 AM
Chicago

318 N Carpenter

June 11, 2019

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:33 AM
Chicago

905 W Fulton Market

June 11, 2019

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:34 AM
Chicago

1001 W Fulton Market

June 11, 2019

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:18 AM
Chicago

Apple Store - 401 N Michigan

May 22, 2019

June 12, 2018

^ last year

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:27 AM
Chicago

Mille - 1000 W Monroe

June 3, 2019

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:28 AM
Chicago

Hayden West Loop - 1109 W Washington

June 3, 2019

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

My god it's still shocking. Honey I blew up the 6-Flat.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:37 AM

Mille is the ugliest building built in the city in the 21st century...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Mille is the ugliest building built in the city in the 21st century...
Nah that award goes to amli river north

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:13 AM
you know where I'll be

^^ It is quite cheap-looking. The cladding is not doing this one any favors, that's for certain.

^ Seconded on AMLI River North. That is a classically bad building.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:23 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
But that's the thing, he isn't saying "I want 4 bedroom units", he is saying he wants "family housing". As a licensed broker I could lose my license, be fined up to $25k and possibly even serve jail time if I so much as said that, let alone went on the record with a newspaper.

Yes, but this is where I think it will eventually be litigated. We aren't talking about developer's choice of unit mix, we are talking about government representatives saying things that would be blatantly illegal if they were landlords, developers, or licensed agents. Again, it's not illegal for a developer to say "I want to build more 3 bedroom units" just as it's not illegal for them to say "I don't want to buy in inner city neighborhoods, I am going to invest only in the suburbs". But it would be illegal for them to say "I don't want to rent to unmarried couples" or "I don't want to invest in black neighborhoods so I'm investing only in the suburbs".

You are correct, however, that the law really only applies to landlords, brokers, bankers, etc. Where it becomes a sticky issue is that guess who is the biggest landlord in Chicago? The CHA which is a municipal corporation and very much subject to fair housing laws. The only reason aldermen have gotten away with saying these things so far is that the Mayor appoints the CHA board and the city council doesn't have direct control.

Which brings me to the argument I've posted here before: aldermen might not be able to be prosecuted individually under the fair housing act, BUT they might find themselves in Trumpesque hot water from a policy perspective at some point. What I mean by that is courts do not just consider the letter of the law and whether your proposal technically violates it, they consider context and intent. When Trump's "Muslim Ban" was manifested in the form a "ban that just happens to be all Muslim countries plus North Korea", the courts immediately struck it down because they considered the context and intent. They took the things Trump said and considered the law he proposed in the context of multiple quotes about how bad Muslims are and how he was going to ban them.

My question is how long until someone sues the city over a proposed zoning change (which is an ordinance, i.e. a law just like the muslim ban) because the Alderman sponsoring it has had multiple staffers state that the goal is to "stop too many white people from moving in" or to "provide more housing for families"? Just as Trump can't go around saying he's going to ban Muslims and expect the courts not to eventually attack his policy proposals with his words, alderman shouldn't expect to be able to parade around saying things that blatantly violate fair housing laws and expect not to eventually get the city, CHA, or their buddies who are affordable housing developers sued in the same manner.

Again - as you've stated yourself, the law only applies to those selling, renting real estate. I'm no lawyer, but it doesn't take one to realize that any such lawsuits (if they're based on the real estate non-discrimination laws) would seem to be beyond long shot, if someone not involved in the actual selling or renting of property is the named defendent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development