HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:29 AM
Halifax Promoter!

When is this scheduled to be finished... I know there won't be services for a while due to the COVID-19.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 12:38 PM

Well, it certainly stands out. Is this a typical design for a Maronite church?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 1:33 AM

This is called The Rosedale. It's going up at 1 Rosedale Avenue (at Dutch Village Road). It as-of-right in the Dutch Village Secondary Plan so unfortunately I only have what is posted publicly on site for information. There's a photo of the posted rendering on my blog.

'Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Well, it certainly stands out. Is this a typical design for a Maronite church?
I'm guessing that the colour palette, window proportions, and sheltered "terrace" surrounding the building are based on Levantine (?) architecture - they are similar to St. Antonio's on Windsor Street (Antiochan Orthodox). Or it might just be a coincidence, I'm not sure. The windows are also a bit like St. Agnes (Catholic, Mumford/Chebucto)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I'm guessing that the colour palette, window proportions, and sheltered "terrace" surrounding the building are based on Levantine (?) architecture - they are similar to St. Antonio's on Windsor Street (Antiochan Orthodox). Or it might just be a coincidence, I'm not sure. The windows are also a bit like St. Agnes (Catholic, Mumford/Chebucto)
Thanks, that's interesting. I actually kind of like the style, though the finishing materials look a little like vinyl siding, not sure what they are actually. The red roof is what makes it really stand out.

For my personal tastes, I'm kind of on the fence between appreciating the use of colour and wondering if it's a little too much. Haven't seen it in person, though, since I've been sticking around home pretty much (and working longer hours than ever) since this pandemic hit.

Thanks to RoshanMcG for posting the pics!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 4:27 PM

246 Waverley is before the Harbour East and Marine Drive Community Council next week, looking to get a public meeting

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...hemdcc1312.pdf

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:39 AM

Looks like Civic Homes has filed for bankruptcy. They own the former Beazley's lands off of Highway 7 in Westphal and were starting to build Lake Loon Estates in the rear of the lot. The approved development agreement allows for two mid-rise residential buildings and townhouses. There is Case #23052 active which seeks to transfer the development rights and extend the commencement/completion dates.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 2:51 AM
hi

New JL Ilsley High School in Spryfield.

https://twitter.com/marcogroup

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:12 PM

A construction permit has been issued at 432 Herring Cove Road for a 32 unit / 4 storey residential building. This is just north of Drysdale Road.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:00 PM

Demolition permit has been issued for three properties at 293 Saint Margaret's Bay Road including the former home of Euro Pizza.

Construction permit has been issued at 61 Stella Drive in Porter's Lake for a 10'000 sq ft strip mall. The lot is adjacent to Atlantic Superstore.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Demolition permit has been issued for three properties at 293 Saint Margaret's Bay Road including the former home of Euro Pizza.

Construction permit has been issued at 61 Stella Drive in Porter's Lake for a 10'000 sq ft strip mall. The lot is adjacent to Atlantic Superstore.
they were already tearing down Euro today

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:41 AM

The Rosedale on Dutch Village Road

And across the street La Villa West

Photos by me and hosted on my blog. See my signature for the link.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 5:58 PM

Demolition permits have been issued for 145 Main Street & 74 Lakecrest Drive, Dartmouth. This is a former bridal shop fronting on Main Street at Hartlen Street in the heart of "The Village on Main". Presumably the redevelopment is as-of-right and given recent developments nearby this could be a midrise mixed-use building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Demolition permits have been issued for 145 Main Street & 74 Lakecrest Drive, Dartmouth. This is a former bridal shop fronting on Main Street at Hartlen Street in the heart of "The Village on Main". Presumably the redevelopment is as-of-right and given recent developments nearby this could be a midrise mixed-use building.
Aren't those the ones HRM bought so they could extend Hartlen through to Lakecrest?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Aren't those the ones HRM bought so they could extend Hartlen through to Lakecrest?
You are correct according to "The Village on Main" facebook page.

“In 2011, a study related to the Main Street Dartmouth Planning Vision and Streetscape Concept determined that Hartlen Street should be extended to connect Main Street and Lakecrest Drive. This extension will allow for increased connectivity in the Main Street area. In March 2020, we acquired the final piece of property required to start this project so this year we will be moving forward with demolition, the creation of a temporary grass path, bench and sign, crosswalk relocation and a curb extension. Then we can begin the planning, design and construction of the final project."
Excerpt from Councillor Mancini’s latest Newsletter

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:57 PM

The Province is planning to purchase the parkland behind Park West School for a new PrePrimary - 8 school fronting on Radcliffe Drive. The size is listed as 700-800 students which is slightly larger than the ~550 next door. The report says the new school is needed for increased enrollment and there is no mention of Park West being decommissioned. Given it was only built in 2000 I think both schools will be active.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...0126rc1113.pdf

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:21 AM

The Bowtie going up at 67 Tacoma Drive in The Village on Main. Signage indicates Artisans Hair Salon will be relocating here.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:22 PM

I saw "The Bowtie" the other day and was surprised. It looked like a mostly residential building although I didn't get a good look. Does anyone know the intended use?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:04 PM

That's interesting, I haven't been in the area for a few months so I wasn't aware. Had to look up what was there before, and I see it was a tire shop before it became a vacant lot, so this is a nice infill project.

It seems like a strange place to put residential, since it will be surrounded by ageing commercial properties, but maybe it's the first step of rejuvenation for the area? It's been neglected and run down for some time now.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:08 PM

Bowtie is 5 floors of residential. Ground floor has a couple of 1000SF Retail Suites.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs