HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They all look oversized for the space available and wreck the view to/from Summit Place.
If size of the waterfront lot is a of concern, then the Gateway would work in the sense that it's two smaller buildings rather than one large building.

The HMCS Sackville needs to be moved into a sheltered structure to preserve her, she's a piece of Canadian history, and the last surviving Flower class Corvette.

Question, is there a reason we should be overly concerned about the view from summit place? I feel it's more than feasible for these structures to squeeze in on the waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 11:41 AM

If you have spent any time there on the boardwalk behind Summit Place and the Wave statue on a nice summer day one of the best features is the open feeling and view of the harbour you get. This would not only block much of that but also, being as large as it appears to be, make the area feel very closed-in.

I get the desire to bring the corvette out of the water for preservation but I don't know if this is the best place for it. If were are again spending megabucks of govt money on this I would prefer to see the ugly Maritime Museum building removed and this replacing it at that site.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:12 PM

I think another design was ultimately selected: http://spacing.ca/atlantic/2014/01/2...tlantic-place/

But even more pertinant, I think this project has been shelved... it was hoped to be open for Canada 150, and I don't recall hearing about it in the past few years. Also, the website for the proposed museum, run by the Canadian Naval Heritage Trust, appears to have expired: http://www.battleoftheatlanticsociety.ca/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I think another design was ultimately selected: http://spacing.ca/atlantic/2014/01/2...tlantic-place/

But even more pertinant, I think this project has been shelved... it was hoped to be open for Canada 150, and I don't recall hearing about it in the past few years. Also, the website for the proposed museum, run by the Canadian Naval Heritage Trust, appears to have expired: http://www.battleoftheatlanticsociety.ca/
I thought that as well until I saw the photos that I linked posted on Instagram this week by a few development accounts. I was hoping you guys would have some more information

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I thought that as well until I saw the photos that I linked posted on Instagram this week by a few development accounts. I was hoping you guys would have some more information
I suspect someone just found out of date images online and shared them... then someone else shared, and someone else, and so on.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
They all look oversized for the space available and wreck the view to/from Summit Place.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect there to be a view to/from so many arbitrary spots on or around the waterfront. If you want to see the water go to the water. Don't demand a view from someplace away from the water.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
If you want to see the water go to the water. Don't demand a view from someplace away from the water.
That's where Summit Place is. This is being built out into the harbor.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
That's where Summit Place is. This is being built out into the harbor.
Are we protecting office buildings views now too?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 11:15 AM

If you bothered to read my post instead of being one of the usual knee-jerking mob, you would have noticed I was commenting on the overall atmosphere of the area around Summit place and the views from the boardwalk/Wave statue square.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:58 PM

The images came from the Nycum + Associates website linked below. There is no real information about if this is real. The site was last updated in 2020 but the text to me implies that they had submitted a design for the competition back when it was happening.

http://www.nycum.com/work/battle-of-the-atlantic-place/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:54 PM
Closed account

I get the concept of it looking like a dry-dock...but I feel like it's too industrial looking. I think the two that are built parallel with the piers are too "blockbusting" and would ruin the look and feel along the boardwalk (think about walking along toward them and not seeing the harbour much beyond them, or George's Island.)

The Shipyard is most guilty of this. It's just too monolithic, period.

The Convoy seems aware of this challenge and makes some "see through" section at the outward ends to mitigate it a bit.

I think the Gateway is a bit awkward too but it doesn't present this problem as badly, and I do like the way there is a gateway arch sort of approach to the harbour, which is a classic feature of many waterfronts (as they note in their presentation) and one I wish that Queen's Marque had incorporated.

Last edited by PortaPetee; Sep 24, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth