HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
My god that looks worse than a Marlins home game!

(Sorry Dave, I was going to write that before I remembered you're a Miami formumer - no disrespect intended)
To be fair, Miami does have the world’s worst sports fans.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Unbelievable! Not to mention, the MLB season just started.

People within this thread who have suggested that a second or third team in NYC, LA or Chicago would fare better than one team in say, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, St. Louis et al should refer to this photo.
Not really. The problem with Chicago is, relative to other cities, it's not nearly as big as it used to be. And while the Cubs haven't been good historically, neither have the Sox to almost the same degree.

Race is a touchy issue and regardless of your feelings and biases about racism, the same dynamic that happens in the Bay Area between Oakland and San Francisco happens in Chicago. The North Side is the richer, Whiter side while the South Side is the more impoverished, minority side. Fair or not, the Cubs get more love and admiration.

That and the whole cold weather start.

There's room for two baseball teams in Chicago and has been for decades, it's just that the Cubs, for socioeconomic reasons as well as other factors such as Harry Carey, the historic ballpark and the years they spent being broadcast on WGN nationally, get a disproportionate share of fandom. Spread more evenly, the Sox would do better. Either that or they could win more, they've won 3 World Series in more than a century of play, including an 88 year gap, not to mention 46 years without a World Series appearance and 42 years before that. They were in no position to take advantage of the Cubs' ineptitude because they were worse.

Again, you still stand to make more money as an extra team in a very large market than as the only team in a smaller market, this has been proven over time, otherwise franchises wouldn't do it. Even Oakland and Chicago could but the fanbases are not proportionally spread.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Nope, I don't think they're going anywhere. The city is devoted to the team, and the team is devoted to the city with one of the most expansive community outreach programs league wide. They play in one of the best arenas in the league. The owner just retained a controlling stake and reaffirmed his commitment to the city. The NBA loves having a team in Memphis due to St. Jude and MLK and other reasons, and has reaffirmed it's dedication to the city and franchise time and time again. The team has gone through one rebuilding phase before (06/07-/09/10), and may be about to go through another one, but through it all and the seven straight postseason appearances they made in the Grit n Grind era (second longest streak only to the Spurs) they've built one of the most authentic connections to the city they call home of any team out there. The Grizzlies *are* Memphis, and they're there to stay.
I somehow doubt the Grizzlies are Memphis when they've been there for 15-16 years and not even done so much as played for a title, let alone won one.

Unless you're the Green Bay Packers, no one is safe from a move. I don't even know how Memphis has a team, they must get a ton of TV money from the being close to Nashville and Little Rock (or is that a Mavs/Thunder market?).

They may have close ties with the community but it doesn't change how small the market is and how little disposable income they have. That said, the NBA has a ton of small markets but along with New Orleans, Memphis is both the smallest and has among the highest percentage of people with little purchasing power.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Not really. The problem with Chicago is, relative to other cities, it's not nearly as big as it used to be. And while the Cubs haven't been good historically, neither have the Sox to almost the same degree.

Race is a touchy issue and regardless of your feelings and biases about racism, the same dynamic that happens in the Bay Area between Oakland and San Francisco happens in Chicago. The North Side is the richer, Whiter side while the South Side is the more impoverished, minority side. Fair or not, the Cubs get more love and admiration.

That and the whole cold weather start.

There's room for two baseball teams in Chicago and has been for decades, it's just that the Cubs, for socioeconomic reasons as well as other factors such as Harry Carey, the historic ballpark and the years they spent being broadcast on WGN nationally, get a disproportionate share of fandom. Spread more evenly, the Sox would do better. Either that or they could win more, they've won 3 World Series in more than a century of play, including an 88 year gap, not to mention 46 years without a World Series appearance and 42 years before that. They were in no position to take advantage of the Cubs' ineptitude because they were worse.
well, i have a slightly different take as a local.

the sox still enjoy wide-spread popularity across chicagoland, but their fan-base is far more hard-nosed and stubborn than the cubbies and their whole "lovable losers" culture. the prevailing attitude i see from sox fans that i know is "if reinsdorf isn't gonna spend his money to field a quality team, then i'm not gonna spend my money to go see 'em". is that fair-weather? i suppose that's one way to look at it. but to sox fans it seems to be their weird "vote with your wallet" strategy to try and improve the team (i don't know how the team is supposed to improve without money, but whatever).

here are some numbers regarding cubs and sox fans in chicagoland. unlike NY, LA and the bay area, there is no clear winner in fan allegiance within chicagoland. the cubs have a slight edge overall, but there is no massive imbalance like one finds with yankees/mets, dodgers/angels, or giants/A's

CHICAGOLAND:

county ------ % cubs/% sox

mchenry county: 52%/28%
lake county (IL): 50%/30%
kane county: 50%/36%
kendall county: 46%/39%
dupage county: 44%/40%
grundy county: 41%/39%
cook county: 40%/38%
porter county: 40%/41%
lake county (IN): 39%/43%
kankakee county: 37%/45%
will county: 37%/47%

kenosha county is brewers country. once you cross the "cheddar curtain", majority allegiances switch over to wisconsin teams.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...eball-map.html

the other thing fighting against sox attendance (and you touched on this) is their lackluster stadium located in a depressing no-man's-land sea of surface parking lots smooshed between a 14 lane expressway trench and an unbelievably wide (20 sets of tracks) freight railroad ROW. when the cubs host the cards, or reds or brewers, thousands of those fans will travel to chicago to cheer on their team and to see a game at "historic wrigley field" and partake in the exuberant sports-infused atmosphere of wrigleyville. when the sox host the tigers or inidans or twins, guaranteed rate field (and the non-neighborhood around it) just isn't a draw at all to entice more fans to travel with their team.

for the record, i'm still PISSED OFF that fucking Reinsdorf tore down old comiskey 28 years ago. if only that moron had just the tiniest shred of foresight to realize how special the historic stadium he had on his hands was, and how, with a modernization, it could be a treasured asset for the team in our current era, much like how wrigley and fenway have come to be revered as the lone remaining "cathedrals" of old school baseball. stupid people make stupid decisions. oh well.

and finally, while the white sox have suffered some of the lowest attendance figures in MLB over the last handful of years, the real culprit of the atrociously low attendance depicted in that pic from yesterday was the weather.

but yes, the complete and total ineptitude of chicago's two MLB teams in the 20th century (174 combined consecutive years without a world series championship) is a feat that will likely never be duplicated again by any other 2-team market. it was a remarkable run of futility. had either the cubs or sox produced even modest success with 3 or 4 WS championships during that 87 year drought, that team likely would have come to dominate the city, and create a large fan-base imbalance. but they both sucked so hard for so long that things stayed pretty even.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:

They may have close ties with the community but it doesn't change how small the market is and how little disposable income they have. That said, the NBA has a ton of small markets but along with New Orleans, Memphis is both the smallest and has among the highest percentage of people with little purchasing power.
Memphis is actually the poorest U.S. metro (of those with at least 500k in MSA). Small corporate base, and regional population is stagnant.

I agree that the Grizzlies are a prime candidate for relocation.

I think the Pelicans are slightly less likely to move, because it's a wealthier metro, and while local population is also quite small, NOLA gets a ton of visitors. And NOLA is much bigger than Memphis by CSA (including Baton Rouge and a good portion of gulfside MS).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Sockeyes have some pretty gnarly teeth.

Well damn! They actually does look like the pic. Makes it look kind of vicious...and it is just a salmon. Had no idea they could look like that.

Oh well. Go the Fighting Seattle Sockeyes!!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:36 PM
All man. Half nuts.

I was hoping the new Seattle NHL franchise would be called the Metropolitans for old time's sake.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Unbelievable! Not to mention, the MLB season just started.

People within this thread who have suggested that a second or third team in NYC, LA or Chicago would fare better than one team in say, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, St. Louis et al should refer to this photo.
The second team is LA draws way better than Kansas city or Pittsburgh.. Not even close. The Mets probably do too

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
People in Wisconsin are stuck rooting for a hockey team from either Minnesota or Chicago. I guess there are fans of either, but I would guess there's general apathy across the state, rather than actively rooting for a team from a city that is otherwise a rival city in the other sports.

I'm sure it's changed since I've lived there, but back in the 70s and 80s the NHL was barely on the radar in Wisconsin. college hockey ruled, and the Badgers were the only game you could get on TV (usually tape delayed on PBS).

but if there was an NHL team we rooted for, even if casually, it was the North Stars.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:41 PM
BANNED

One other point about the White Sox and the South Side is that baseball in the US is simply less popular among the black populace than it is the white.

A good barometer of that would be the percentage of black American players:

https://theundefeated.com/features/a...n-mlb-players/

It ain't high, especially when you account for how high it is in basketball and football. That's not to take away from Steely's excellent points, just a little addition to them.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 3:56 PM

Memphis Grizzlies barely break even. There is also not an ability to cash in on regional TV, or to upgrade seating $'s, they are locked into current revenue streams and the second the team goes south for an extended period and the fans stop showing up the team will bleed money (the Memphis boosters claim of a rebuild taking place, no the team has been competitive or with important players - The Gasol brothers - largely its whole time in Memphis). Memphis has had declining attendance the past 3 years even all the while with competitive teams up until this current season. The market has issues that extend beyond the basketball court.

The irony is that once Seattle gets back into the fold and the PNW area becomes a basketball mecca again the NBA may likely wake up and own up to its mistake that was leaving Vancouver. The irony is that the Grizzlies may move back to Vancouver in our lifetimes. The NBA was shortsighted to not fix the owner and executive mess with the Vancouver Grizzlies as that market is full of money and international fans via East Asia.

NO, Charlotte, and Memphis are the bottom barrel of the league fiscal wise. Charlotte is safe because unlike the last two times the franchise died (I consider the Bobcats change to the Hornets as a Franchise death+reboot), the previous times did not have the UNC power brokers involved. With Jordan on board, he made sure to get the UNC boosters and power players involved and Jordan has the weight of Nike/Jordan brand behind it as well. Jordan just needs to be a better executive and hire good people to do the job but as long as he breaks even he will keep the team until he long gone. His distaste for losing may turn him sour before he ever sells the team for fiscal reasons.

What we can learn is those bad owners can quickly turn teams and markets sour. To the NFL's credit, the one thing they do better than other leagues is they strongly vet owners and quickly kick them out when they start running amok. They also ban ownership groups so you don't get complicated ownership battle that can mess up ownership agreements and potentially impact operations. Look at what the NFL is doing to Mark Davis. A legacy owner who does not "fit the model" of what the NFL wants in the owner and are basically forcing him to sell the team. Mark will make lots of money for selling but it is a perfect example of their no BS approach to controlling ownership quality.

The few franchises I don't see remaining in their current place in my lifetime:

Memphis Grizzlies
Miami Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays
Arizona Coyotes
Jacksonville Jaguars*

*New owner is rich beyond belief and committed to making it work. If he can't make it work there nobody will.

For Hockey. I wish the NHL was not stubborn and would just double down on cold/winter markets. Go back to Connecticut and explore Wisconsin. Every major cold weather market should have an NHL team IMO.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Wait. Stop. When did Memphis get an NBA team?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
well, i have a slightly different take as a local.

the sox still enjoy wide-spread popularity across chicagoland, but their fan-base is far more hard-nosed and stubborn than the cubbies and their whole "lovable losers" culture. the prevailing attitude i see from sox fans that i know is "if reinsdorf isn't gonna spend his money to field a quality team, then i'm not gonna spend my money to go see 'em". is that fair-weather? i suppose that's one way to look at it. but to sox fans it seems to be their weird "vote with your wallet" strategy to try and improve the team (i don't know how the team is supposed to improve without money, but whatever).

here are some numbers regarding cubs and sox fans in chicagoland. unlike NY, LA and the bay area, there is no clear winner in fan allegiance within chicagoland. the cubs have a slight edge overall, but there is no massive imbalance like one finds with yankees/mets, dodgers/angels, or giants/A's

CHICAGOLAND:

kenosha county is brewers country. once you cross the "cheddar curtain", majority allegiances switch over to wisconsin teams.

the other thing fighting against sox attendance (and you touched on this) is their lackluster stadium located in a depressing no-man's-land sea of surface parking lots smooshed between a 14 lane expressway trench and an unbelievably wide (20 sets of tracks) freight railroad ROW. when the cubs host the cards, or reds or brewers, thousands of those fans will travel to chicago to cheer on their team and to see a game at "historic wrigley field" and partake in the exuberant sports-infused atmosphere of wrigleyville. when the sox host the tigers or inidans or twins, guaranteed rate field (and the non-neighborhood around it) just isn't a draw at all to entice more fans to travel with their team.

for the record, i'm still PISSED OFF that fucking Reinsdorf tore down old comiskey 28 years ago. if only that moron had just the tiniest shred of foresight to realize how special the historic stadium he had on his hands was, and how, with a modernization, it could be a treasured asset for the team in our current era, much like how wrigley and fenway have come to be revered as the lone remaining "cathedrals" of old school baseball. stupid people make stupid decisions. oh well.

and finally, while the white sox have suffered some of the lowest attendance figures in MLB over the last handful of years, the real culprit of the atrociously low attendance depicted in that pic from yesterday was the weather.

but yes, the complete and total ineptitude of chicago's two MLB teams in the 20th century (174 combined consecutive years without a world series championship) is a feat that will likely never be duplicated again by any other 2-team market. it was a remarkable run of futility. had either the cubs or sox produced even modest success with 3 or 4 WS championships during that 87 year drought, that team likely would have come to dominate the city, and create a large fan-base imbalance. but they both sucked so hard that things stayed pretty even.
Even with you being a local and your sources, I still find it hard to believe the Cubs aren't far and away more popular than the White Sox.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Memphis is actually the poorest U.S. metro (of those with at least 500k in MSA). Small corporate base, and regional population is stagnant.

I agree that the Grizzlies are a prime candidate for relocation.

I think the Pelicans are slightly less likely to move, because it's a wealthier metro, and while local population is also quite small, NOLA gets a ton of visitors. And NOLA is much bigger than Memphis by CSA (including Baton Rouge and a good portion of gulfside MS).
But New Orleans also has another pro sports team, which cancels that out.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I still find it hard to believe the Cubs aren't far and away more popular than the White Sox.
that's because the national sports media COMPLETELY ignores the existence of the white sox, so it's totally normal for outsiders like you to have that impression.

if you lived here, you'd realize how much more evenly balanced things are.

the cubs are a little bit more popular than the sox, overall, but it's not a "far and away" situation like it is with yankees/mets, dodgers/angels, or giants/A's.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:24 PM

Serious question to sports knowledgeable/interested forumers here: How long will the 49ers be willing to play in the ridiculous, hard to get to stadium-in-nowheresville they built in Santa Clara? They persist in using the SF-referential name but it can take hours to get to or from a game for a San Franciscan so I doubt many bother. Unless the team gets a lot better real quick, can this last?

The rather less than full stands at Levi Stadium:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/ar...e-12189598.php

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Wait. Stop. When did Memphis get an NBA team?
Approaching 20 years ago now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
that's because the national sports media COMPLETELY ignores the existence of the white sox, so it's totally normal for outsiders like you to have that impression.

the cubs are a little bit more popular than the sox, overall, but it's not a "far and away" thing like it is with yankees/mets, dodgers/angels, or giants/A's,
To also add, Baseball is still very much a local/market focused sport. Cubs may be more nationally popular but within the Chicagoland area, there is still deep support for the Sox.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:

the cubs are a little bit more popular than the sox, overall, but it's not a "far and away" thing like it is with yankees/mets, dodgers/angels, or giants/A's.
I suppose I'll take your word for it. Even if it gets exaggerated nationally, everything I've seen tends to indicate the Cubs are way more popular than the Sox. How many Sox fans do you see at road games compared to Cubs fans?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
how many Sox fans do you see at road games compared to Cubs fans?
thanks to the WGN super-station of decades past, the cubs ABSOLUTELY have a profoundly larger fan base than the sox on a national level, by like several orders of magnitude.

i'm talking about strictly within the chicagoland market itself. things are fairly well-balanced, with an obvious (though FAR from absolute) north-south divide.

again, the numbers don't lie:

CHICAGOLAND:

the big one to pay attention to on the chart above is cook county.

cook county has more people than the rest of those counties combined, and it's a pretty dead even split at 40% vs. 38%.

it doesn't matter what your impressions are, if you had lived here for over 4 decades, with both white sox and cubs sides of your family stretching back to the days of your great-grandfathers*, you'd know.

(*) fun family baseball anecdote. in the old days, the whole northside cubs/southside sox thing wasn't a thing yet, because the cubs played on the west side in those days (and on the southside prior to that), and the sox played on the southside. my great grandfather lived on the northside, but LOVED baseball. he would occasionally tell the tale that he decided to become a cubs fan because he was once treated rudely by a ticket taker while attempting to attend a sox game. he swore the sox off from that moment on and forever more the entire maternal side of my family would be cubs fans to this very day.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 11, 2018 at 4:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions