HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
^They're going to be midrises like their brother directly to the south. I haven't seen good art on this building. There are old drawings that look terrible, and in an interview the architect said they addressed criticisms by changing the color scheme to fit the area better, but there's been no drawings or renders of what that would be.
Lots of info on it here: http://blog.chicagoarchitecture.info...li-clark-polk/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 10:54 PM
Urbane observer

The project manager says the architecture has changed significantly since the photo above was taken in a dark barroom. But he wouldn't send a rendering, saying they wanted to save the reveal for marketing reasons.

The two L-shaped buildings will be 11 stories each.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 11:07 PM

Interesting. I'm very curious to see it now. Hopefully they don't use leftover Amli River North Beige to cover it!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post

To get an FAR bump you have to go a PD process.
For height or density enhancement, you have to go through a Type 1 zoning process. Technically this only occurs with a map amendment.
It may just mean that the same procedures apply, but then why differeniate beyween Type 1 and PD.
It may be there to encourage upzoning applications.
I spoke too soon,
Further reading shows that they scratched out the part that says Type 1 is only for rezonings.

That means for an FAR increase you have to go through the PD rigamarole including public hearing and Council vote.

But, since council vote and possible hearings are only required for rezonings, the height and density increases are all in the hands of the Administrator.

That probably makes sense. My years as a nimby have taught me that requests for FAR increases without a corresponding density increase means giant 2500 sq ft condos.

The people who buy those are probably not taking the bus to work.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 6:36 PM

That's the beauty of the zoning code, the more times you read it the more you find out.

The parking reduction is available to all transit served B,C,M,D zones, not just the -3s.
Up to 50% for residential parking. Up to 100% for commercial parking but if commercial wants more than 50% they have to ask the alderman. He has ten days to respond.
And it says "may be reduced" so it is not automatic. You have to bring doughnuts.

The other stuff is for the -3s only.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:23 PM

Game Changer?

Notorious Uptown apartment building to get $14 million rehab

"Apartment investor Cedar Street Co. paid $7.5 million to buy Uptown's historic Lawrence House out of foreclosure, with plans to convert the dilapidated building into modern apartments.

Chicago-based Cedar Street bought the 12-story building at 1020 W. Lawrence Ave. from a venture managed by Hodo and Sam Menetti that has owned the property since 2000, according to property records. Cedar Street, which has been scooping up distressed residential properties on Chicago's North Side, plans to spend an additional $14 million renovating the building, which will serve as the flagship location for the firm's Flats Chicago brand, said co-founders Jay Michael and Alex Samoylovich"

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-million-rehab

Can the Flats be the game changer Uptown needs? People are beginning to wonder if they are stalled because none of the other properties are open yet. But seeing this story it would appear that they have money. You don't spend $7.5 million on a building if you’re other properties stalled, right?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:47 PM

As a new resident of Uptown and the city I've heard that there have been many decades where Uptown was head to be on the upswing. I think that with news like this from Flats and other developers changing buildings in the neighborhood, combined with the cities infrastructure improvements, Uptown is truly going to see it's day once again. There is so much investment going into the neighborhood. Crazy amounts. I just hope that the gentrification process can be done correctly and people of all incomes continue to dwell in the neighborhood. So much of what I love about Uptown only exists because of the diversity that is in the neighborhood. I would hate to see that leave.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:13 PM

I do suspect there is an element of land banking in the Cedar St./FLATS model and they getting a lot of press for their moves in Uptown but they're certainly not the only player in the neighborhood which has seen a flurry of interest over the last year; Imperial Realty Co. has apartment plans at the Combined Insurance Building on Broadway, the Somerset is mid-renovations, Horizon just finished a mid-rise on Sheridan, Maryville seems destined for apartments, etc.

Whether it's a knife catching party or an actual game changer is yet to be seen but the recent developments and looming infrastructure improvements are noteworthy.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:19 PM

They better not f*cking paint it gray.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:23 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Just moved to Uptown, this is good news maybe I should buy before the gentrification kicks in full steam.... Uptown has way too high a concentration of supportive housing it's not health for any neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:33 PM

More than anything, when it comes ot Uptown, I'd like to see some upzoning of surface lots / strip malls along Broadway around Wilson/Lawrence. With the upcoming station makeover I think there will be a great window for some intense TOD...the kind that would likely be killed by NIMBYs in most of the city but may gain traction in Uptown as it appears the community is eager to increase the proportion of market rate to subsidize housing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
Notorious Uptown apartment building to get $14 million rehab

[...]

Can the Flats be the game changer Uptown needs? People are beginning to wonder if they are stalled because none of the other properties are open yet. But seeing this story it would appear that they have money. You don't spend $7.5 million on a building if you’re other properties stalled, right?
That's a worry of mine. I hope they're not extending and leveraging too much...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
That's a worry of mine. I hope they're not extending and leveraging too much...
As i mentioned above, I'm willing to concede an element of land banking in their business plan but I live by a couple of their buildings further north and although the progress is slow, it certainly hasn't stalled.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 7:30 PM

Glad to hear progress is being made on the flats buildings. It's hard to tell from the outside with rennovations on the inside.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 8:43 PM

Uptown Theatre

For me the Uptown Game Changer would be a renovation and restoration of the Uptown Theater. Why that has languished for 30 years is beyond me. Can't we get a media savvy Angel investor who has money to burn and a passion for changing destinies to fund or at least launch a campaign? Someone who can use her notoriety and high level connections for a publicity campaign to rally tens of thousands of people to raise a few million to put this building back to work in a broadcasting production capacity.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
For me the Uptown Game Changer would be a renovation and restoration of the Uptown Theater. Why that has languished for 30 years is beyond me.
I think there are 80-100 million reasons....and they come in dollar form. Not to mention a sound business plan to recoup that. The damage from burst pipes alone is supposed to be monumental.

Anyway, too much stock seems to be placed on the theater as a lynchpin to revitalization. Yes, its important and would be huge, but the neighborhood already has the Riv/Aaragon/Green Mill, among other destinations. Its not like Uptown is Englewood...in the scheme of things, its fairly healthy and vibrant.

Although speaking of which, does anyone know whats going on with the Riv? It seems like they havent booked shows in a while, and when I walked past the other day there are building permits and it looked like the lobby was torn up.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
As a new resident of Uptown and the city I've heard that there have been many decades where Uptown was head to be on the upswing. I think that with news like this from Flats and other developers changing buildings in the neighborhood, combined with the cities infrastructure improvements, Uptown is truly going to see it's day once again. There is so much investment going into the neighborhood. Crazy amounts. I just hope that the gentrification process can be done correctly and people of all incomes continue to dwell in the neighborhood. So much of what I love about Uptown only exists because of the diversity that is in the neighborhood. I would hate to see that leave.
I'd like to see the Borders land an awesome tenant. That would be a clear sign that all these proposals are indeed sparking a change.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I think there are 80-100 million reasons....and they come in dollar form. Not to mention a sound business plan to recoup that. The damage from burst pipes alone is supposed to be monumental.

Anyway, too much stock seems to be placed on the theater as a lynchpin to revitalization. Yes, its important and would be huge, but the neighborhood already has the Riv/Aaragon/Green Mill, among other destinations. Its not like Uptown is Englewood...in the scheme of things, its fairly healthy and vibrant.

Although speaking of which, does anyone know whats going on with the Riv? It seems like they havent booked shows in a while, and when I walked past the other day there are building permits and it looked like the lobby was torn up.
The Riv and the Aragon got dinged for a number of code violations a few months back. I assume this is corrective action to clear up any issues before Mickelson asks for a load of TIF money to rehab the Uptown. Wouldn't look to good to be in court with the city you need to pry millions out of.

Also the recent saga with the Congress probably woke them up.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

I think the whole idea of branding Uptown as an entertainment district is a bit of a white elephant, in particular the renovation of the Uptown Theatre. But if that's the goal, the area Uptown should be focusing development energy on it isn't large venues like the Riv/Aragon/Uptown but fine grain bars/club venues which are almost non-existent in the neighborhood. The problem is there is only so much demand for live music in Chicago and what exists is already well absorbed by small/mid sized venues in more established neighborhoods or growing scenes like Logan/Humboldt.

EDIT: and yes, there is no way in this universe the Uptown can be made profitable, if it's ever restored it will simply be because some filthy rich person wants it to be.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:41 PM

I definitely agree. Everyone seems to have this vision that magically Uptown is going to become this northern outpost of "Broadway in Chicago"... if that happens it would be nice, but in the meantime some bars and restaurants would be welcome. That entire stretch of Clark alone (south of Andersonville and before Graceland) feels greatly underutilized, especially that weird 2 block stretch filled with nothing but wholesale shops. I mean, Carol's is a national treasure, but it'd be nice to have something else within walking distance

And speaking of music venues, a new one is opening up in Pilsen's Thalia Hall. Can't remember if this has been covered here, but the owners of the Empty Bottle/Longman & Eagle are renovating the space and should have the first booking by NYE. Should be incredible once its fixed up

http://dinca.org/wp-content/uploads/...lsen-photo.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development