HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:13 PM
Derp

The amount of graffiti in this city is disgraceful
Commissioned murals and artwork can be beautifully done, but the tagging BS that seems to have taken over the entire city is disgusting
Hopefully something can be done to discourage this behaviour

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:55 PM

On our recent trip to Germany there is graffiti all over the place but surprisingly very little in the downtown core where most of the tourist attractions are. More traffic and policed strongly maybe.
With respect to washrooms all public ones over there were pay toilets - 1 Euro - not sure if it would help the issues we have here.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
The amount of graffiti in this city is disgraceful
Commissioned murals and artwork can be beautifully done, but the tagging BS that seems to have taken over the entire city is disgusting
Hopefully something can be done to discourage this behaviour
I'm sure that the graffiti defenders will soon pitch in, but frankly Edmonton could use a little "broken window" love a la Giuliani (notwithstanding that Giuliani has lost most of his marbles in his sunset years). Who ever could have predicted the NYC renaissance after the 1970s?

But yeah hey, isn't graffiti urban and cool, or woke or whatever the hipsters croon over these days.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:46 PM

Our trip to Prague in Oct we saw graffiti everywhere. It was real bad.

Edmonton's graffiti problem ramped up in the last year. As well as the star wars bar crowd downtown. This is concerning when you consider the advancements we have had in the last 5 years with construction of new towers and more people downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:21 PM

The tent city along the LRT tracks Northeast of downtown continues to grow - is there a plan by the city to dismantle these structures before it gets completely out of hand?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 10:00 PM
Community Guy

Our (COE/EEDC/DBA) report to Executive Committee/Council on business attraction and retention in the Downtown.

https://www.edmontondowntown.com/pub...s-retention-66

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:15 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:25 PM
Community Guy

Our 2019 Business Report was released last night.

Full report:
https://www.edmontondowntown.com/upl...ech_Report.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:01 PM
Community Guy

THE NEXT GLOBAL AI HUB WILL BE BUILT IN THE CANADIAN PRAIRIES

https://betakit.com/ai-nation-alberta/

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 5:42 PM
Community Guy

Smart Cities Council Readiness Workshop comes to Edmonton for first time
October 8, 2019

News media are invited to join Mayor Don Iveson and Philip Bane, Managing Director of the Smart Cities Council, for the opening of the Smart Cities Council Readiness Workshop.

Date: Wednesday, October 9
Time: 8:45 a.m.
Location: Second Floor, Picasso Ballroom, Doubletree by Hilton, 9576 Jasper Avenue

As a result of Edmonton’s victory in the April 2019 Smart Cities Readiness Challenge, the Smart Cities Council of North America brings their Smart Cities Readiness Workshop to Edmonton. The Council, a network of leading companies advised by top universities and standards bodies, helps cities tap into the transformative power of smart technologies. City staff and community partners will come together to learn about municipal challenges and share knowledge and perspectives with Smart Cities Council representatives.

For more information:
Smart Cities Council

Media contact:
Matt Pretty
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-886-7552

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 10:52 PM
Community Guy

City Manager to Retire from the City on December 31, 2019
October 22, 2019

City Manager Linda Cochrane has decided to retire from the City of Edmonton on December 31, 2019.

The Mayor and Council accepted Ms. Cochrane’s retirement plan after it was presented to them earlier today at a meeting of City Council.

“Linda Cochrane cares about the people of Edmonton and leads with real humility,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “With quiet confidence and a devotion to her team, she has served Council and Edmontonians in a way that has been honest, compassionate and consistently committed to excellence. She has helped this organization truly evolve into a modern municipal corporation.”

Ms. Cochrane first began her career working part-time as a swimming instructor at Scona Pool. After graduating from university and a stint working at the City of Spruce Grove, she returned to the City of Edmonton in 1982. While working full time, Ms. Cochrane also accomplished two masters degrees—one in arts, focusing on public policy and one in business administration. She moved up through what is now the Citizen Services department to General Manager, becoming City Manager in September 2015.

“I’m grateful to the Mayor and Council for giving me the opportunity to serve Council, the people of Edmonton and our employees,” said Linda Cochrane. “My three-plus decades at the City have been among the happiest of my life. I know there is strong leadership in place, up, down and across the organization -- in fact there are more than 13,000 leaders delivering 73 services who make Edmontonians lives better every day. I am proud of them all.”

City Council will appoint an Acting City Manager in the coming weeks and will begin the recruitment for a permanent replacement immediately.

Media contacts:
Patricia Hutchison
Senior Communications Strategist
Office of the City Manager
780-496-6721

Cheryl Oxford
Communications Manager
Office of Mayor Don Iveson
780-496-8104

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:36 PM
Community Guy

EDMONTON SURGES IN CBRE CANADIAN TECH TALENT REPORT

Noteworthy in this year’s report was Edmonton’s overall score, which improved by over 10 points, making it the leading score increase of any market. The Alberta capital snagged the 10th spot overall. Top performing drivers for Edmonton included tech quality to cost, tech pool labour size, and quality of labour, which received an A. While Edmonton rose, fellow Alberta city Calgary maintained its position in sixth place.

https://betakit.com/edmonton-surges-...eid=9018541291

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:19 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
EDMONTON SURGES IN CBRE CANADIAN TECH TALENT REPORT

Noteworthy in this year’s report was Edmonton’s overall score, which improved by over 10 points, making it the leading score increase of any market. The Alberta capital snagged the 10th spot overall. Top performing drivers for Edmonton included tech quality to cost, tech pool labour size, and quality of labour, which received an A. While Edmonton rose, fellow Alberta city Calgary maintained its position in sixth place.

https://betakit.com/edmonton-surges-...eid=9018541291
The report shows that is is definitely the time for the Province to cut investment in the tech industry!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 8:01 PM
Community Guy

GUNTER: Edmonton will never be the vehicle-less utopia progressives want

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colu...box=1577464231

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 8:14 PM

What an absolutely useless column.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 12:48 AM

One of the very few opinion pieces by Lorne Gunther with which I agree.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 9:11 PM
A Better Place

Who needs any forms of alternative transportation when Edmonton can just keep sprawling and widening all of its roads? Also, screw bike lanes (I never see anyone use those anyway)! The wider the roads, the faster you can drive around the city and the less traffic you will have!

Ends sarcasm.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:32 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Who needs any forms of alternative transportation when Edmonton can just keep sprawling and widening all of its roads? Also, screw bike lanes (I never see anyone use those anyway)! The wider the roads, the faster you can drive around the city and the less traffic you will have!

Ends sarcasm.
You mean you don't automatically agree with an old crazy man merely because he has a platform?? I am MORE than over the plethora of "angry old man yells at Cloud" types that exist both in the mainstream media (David Staples, Rex Murphy, Lorne Gunther to name but a few) and online via forums aka the right-wing trolls on here. Their opinions are generally worthless and uneducated much like the sources they come from...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:02 PM
Community Guy

Another solid piece on our fair city.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram.../#4acda53d4967

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton