HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm confused what their ultimate plan was.
It's all pretty fuzzy. They did say something about vacating Loomis but not being able to build over it because of some buried utilities, and were planning to the cantilever over it instead?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 6:59 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In fact, [landmarking] probably benefits [developers] because I think a landmarked property will increase in value if it's in the right area, plus you get tax incentives.
Gosh, you gotta wonder how those developers, with entire rooms full of whiz kids working on pro formas, come to such a different conclusion. If only someone would tell them about the tax incentives!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Gosh, you gotta wonder how those developers, with entire rooms full of whiz kids working on pro formas, come to such a different conclusion. If only someone would tell them about the tax incentives!
Yes and those terribly uninformed property owners in Pilsen who come to the same conclusion without mba’s on retainer and narly excel spreadsheets.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 7:53 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Great to see the infill and looking a bit more dense in places than previously. Pretty big change in the overall area plus Milwaukee in the last even 7 years.
I have been delighted by the surge in density along Western Ave in West Town the last few years. The city designating Western (and several other corridors) as a TOD zone has allowed for more of these dense developments to be built. The area here just south of the Western Blue line stop is especially seeing a lot of new construction, which has been almost non stop the last few years. The 606 is just adding fuel to the fire. I dig it

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Trust me, I’ve met lots of so-called real estate “whiz kids” who put together pro formas and, I gotta tell ya, you give them too much credit. There are a lot harder and brainier things in the world to do than that.

Anyhow, I said “property owner” not “developer”. Developers are always seeking highest and best use so for them, yes, landmarking is a missed opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 3:09 AM

1122 W Chicago

March 25

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Yes and those terribly uninformed property owners in Pilsen who come to the same conclusion without mba’s on retainer and narly excel spreadsheets.
the same Pilsen property owners who are convinced that blocking landmarking will prevent/slow down gentrification? lol.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Anyhow, I said “property owner” not “developer”. Developers are always seeking highest and best use so for them, yes, landmarking is a missed opportunity.
But the property owner is the developer in the case of the Lake St. Tied House.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the same Pilsen property owners who are convinced that blocking landmarking will prevent/slow down gentrification? lol.
property owners trying to slow down gentrification? that's new.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
First quarter is in the books. I have been keeping track all year of properties in the city proper whose sale price was above the initial list price. Generally if a property was listed sometime and a month later it is listed again, the previous one would be the one I consider. If there's no activity for 6-8+ months then I will take the newer one. There's some nuance but in general interesting to me.

In total for the first 3 months of the year, I found 603 properties (SFH, Condo/Townhome, multi unit building....and some properties) in the city proper whose sale price was greater than the list price from January - March 2021. Furthermore, there were at least 246 more properties that sold at the same as their list price.

Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...4P&usp=sharing

This article goes a little hand in hand with my post here ^ from the other day:

A tight housing market is getting even tighter

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...g-even-tighter

Quote:
The low mortgage rates and pandemic-era changes in housing needs that have propelled a surge in home sales is about to deliver an even bigger wave.

In March, Chicago-area homebuyers put 18,758 homes under contract, according to Midwest Real Estate Data. That's by far the highest figure in any month in MRED's records, which date to January 2008.

In the years before the pandemic and low interest rates juiced up the market, the most homes put under contract in a single month was 12,969, in April 2016, and in the current market conditions, the most contracts in a month was 14,252, in June. That is, March contracts were 44 percent above the strongest month in normal years and 32 percent above the strongest month in the heightened pandemic year.

A wave of contracts, most of which eventually turn into closed sales, can lift the local economy, as people who buy homes subsequently spend money on movers and new furniture and drapes, plus other costs of settling into a new address. But this wave may also bring in bad news for the next buyers to enter the market: higher prices.

What's not growing as fast as contracts is new inventory on the market. Thus inventory, which for months has been so tight that it has sparked bidding wars, rising prices and buyer frustration, may get even tighter. That, in turn, could push prices higher and buyers' nerves closer to the edge.

"Obviously there's a bottleneck," says Anne Rossley, a Baird & Warner agent who focuses on North Side neighborhoods. "March is really the beginning of the real estate season, and we're seeing no signs of inventory loosening up."

The cost of borrowing, which slid ever lower in 2020, ticked upward in March. The cost of a 30-year mortgage is still only slightly above 3 percent, but the fear of missing out on all-time highs in housing affordability may have contributed to buyers putting so many houses under contract in March.

The incoming flood of home sales shouldn't jam the pipeline, say representatives of Chicago mortgage and title firms. They've been staffing up, in response to both a surge in home mortgage refinancing to take advantage of low interest rates and recent months' big increases in the number of home sales.

Chicago-based mortgage company Guaranteed Rate has doubled its headcount, to 10,000, since the beginning of 2020, the firm's chief marketing officer, Steve Moffat, tells Crain's in an email.

"I have definitely been recruiting heavily all year," says Kathy Kwak, executive vice president at Proper Title, a Chicago-based title insurance firm. She says the firm has grown by about half, to 98 people, in the pandemic year, and "I'm continuing to hire. How many I hire will really depend on how long this continues."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 9:48 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ional-tourists

Proposed hotel off Mag Mile wants to lure in wealthy, international tourists

Lucien LaGrange Studio
A rendering of the planned 29-story RIU Plaza Hotel at 150 E. Ontario St.

RIU Hotels & Resorts wants to build a 388-room property in Streeterville despite COVID-19's ongoing assault on the local hospitality sector.

Chicago real estate veteran Michael Reschke said RIU Hotels & Resorts has hired him to develop the building, and he offered more details about the vision for what he said would be called the RIU Grand Plaza Hotel—including the goal of breaking ground on the project by this summer.

Most notably, the Riu family plans to fund the project—which he expects to cost somewhere under $200 million—with cash instead of financing it with a construction loan, which might be difficult to land while the pandemic rankles the local hotel market. And despite paltry current visitor demand, Reschke said RIU is primarily targeting international travelers that tend to stay at multiple RIU hotels—they have another in Miami, two in New York and one in San Francisco—during visits to the United States.

"They don't care about local demand," Reschke said. "The beauty is RIU will bring most of the guests to this hotel through their own travel network—international tourists that stay longer and spend more money."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 5:07 PM

From Chicago Sun Times editorial board- Redeveloping White Sox parking lots could be home run for Chicago
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/4/...tral-editorial

Seems like an obvious improvement. But you would have to wonder if old man Reinsdorf would be open to it at this stage of his life. Some United Center parking lots have been converted to Blackhawks and Bulls training facilities, as well as an annex to the UC itself. But even those developments were internal to ownership and the sports tenants of the UC.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post
From Chicago Sun Times editorial board- Redeveloping White Sox parking lots could be home run for Chicago

Seems like an obvious improvement. But you would have to wonder if old man Reinsdorf would be open to it at this stage of his life. Some United Center parking lots have been converted to Blackhawks and Bulls training facilities, as well as an annex to the UC itself. But even those developments were internal to ownership and the sports tenants of the UC.
Some concepts
https://www.ghafari.com/projects/comiskey-commons

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

source:https://www.ghafari.com/projects/comiskey-commons

considering this is the current reality, i'd gladly take something like the above as a replacement.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well that's going to outshine the stadium that's for sure.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Oh please, its a great stadium, just faces the wrong way. And i will keep some of the lots. Still plenty of land in the area to develop 1st.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
if only we still had the original.

source: http://www.horschgallery.com/photo/c...-panorama.aspx

stupid fucking reinsdorf

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:38 PM
Show me the blueprints

For sure...

Love the little glimpse of the Robert Taylor Homes in the outfield...

EDIT

Correction...that can't be Robert Taylor or Stateway...what are those?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:41 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post

My impression is that Rocky Wirtz is pro-development at the UC, but Reinsdorf has a veto on everything and won't budge. Adding to the frustration is the fact that some of the parking lots are owned by third parties who don't want to sell (personally I think this is just an excuse - United Center still controls the lion's share). Malcolm X College moved across the street and took out some parking lots, but those were actually owned by City Colleges to begin with... at least the old Malcolm X site has been opened for development, with half being the new Blackhawks facility and the other half reserved for Rush expansion.

Here's some good insight from Greg Hinz a few years ago:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...x-college-site

This article kinda makes it sound like Wirtz took mixed-use development off the table as retribution for not getting an extension on his sweetheart property tax break... but fortunately the tax bill itself is a better incentive for redevelopment than some kind of backroom deal.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...property-taxes

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 6, 2021 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if only we still had the original.

source: http://www.horschgallery.com/photo/c...-panorama.aspx

stupid fucking reinsdorf
Stop it. As a Sox fan I have to say that the Old Comiskey was a piece of garbage. Paying full price and then getting stuck behind a steel girder is NOT fun. I like the new "evolved" stadium. Frankly Sox Park should have been built just south of the loop and north of Chinatown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development