HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 5:34 PM

^^^
Good idea, bud. I hate it when my favorite posts get left behind.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:29 PM
Bring out the cranes...

222 South Main Photo update!
Tall Crane, Big hole...

222 South Main crane from west temple.

222 South Main looking Northeast.

Here's that big hole we keep taking photos of.

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:32 PM
Bring out the cranes...

City Creek Center Photos Update!!! Yay!
More Cranes

The red crane is alot taller and it's just about ready to go. Just needs the arm.

All the cranes from yellow, to red to gray.

Tower one site. Notice near the middle you can see where the elevator shafts.

Crews working hard on level two of the underground parking.

Notice in this pic on the far left there is the arm of the red crane.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 12:41 AM

Projects, when I first saw this on our local threads, I jumped out of my desk chair. Whoaaaaaaaaa, I love it!!!!!!!! We should start a new thread titled,"Crane City."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 6:32 AM
Bring out the cranes...

LOL, I know. Seeing all those cranes is so cool and just shows all these years of planning is now in motion.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 6:41 AM
Bring out the cranes...

The 15-hour pour.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2854542

They call it the 15-hour pour. One hundred twenty concrete trucks will be involved, each one making eight trips throughout the night to get the material, all to lay the foundation of a new residential tower.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 12:16 PM

Concrete pour called a Salt Lake 'milestone'

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...261838,00.html

Crews begin pouring more than 7,600 cubic yards of concrete Friday on a tower that is part of City Creek Center.(Danny Chan La, Deseret Morning News

A 32-story tower at the corner of West Temple and South Temple will contain 700 housing units and will be 370 feet tall. (Danny Chan La. Deseret Morning News)

Capital rebuild: Phase 2 kicks in - Demolition done; crews begin pouring concrete

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8580972

By Lesley Mitchell
and Jason Bergreen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Let the building begin.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has completed demolition of the Crossroads Plaza Mall and most other buildings on 20 acres in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City and is now beginning work on its massive City Creek Center development. The 20-acre project set for completion in 2012 is arguably the biggest commercial development ever in Utah, with offices, retail stores and a number of residential buildings.
"Demolition is one thing, but people start to really feel like things are happening when buildings start to move up out of the ground," said Joey Gilbert, vice president of Associated General Contractors of Utah, a contractors trade group. "It doesn't take long for the skeletons of those buildings to start going up from here."
Gilbert said the timing could not be better.
With the downturn in residential construction, commercial projects like City Creek will help ensure that thousands of people whose livelihood depends on construction don't face unemployment.
"With projects like this, there's still a need for skilled workers, and companies are still hiring," he said.
City Creek Center, which will cost an estimated $2 billion, will be built on most of the two blocks between South Temple and 100 South from West Temple to State Street as well as across State Street in an area south of Social Hall Avenue.
Starting in late 2006 and continuing through last year, the church contractors demolished Crossroads Plaza mall, most of the ZCMI shopping center, the Inn at Temple Square and the Key Bank Tower to make way for the new development.
It will be anchored by a two-story 124,000-square-foot Nordstrom store and a three-story 150,000-square-foot Macy's department store and include about 500,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Also included is a Harmons grocery store.
Everything about the City Creek Center project is huge; the foundation pouring is one of the state's largest concrete jobs ever.
"It's a milestone in the project and we're excited for it," said Dave Kasteler, the project's general superintendent.
The construction company hired by the LDS Church, Okland Construction, and its subcontractors will pour approximately 7,600 cubic yards of concrete - enough to pave a sidewalk from Salt Lake City to American Fork - to complete the foundation of just the first of six residential buildings in the development, a 32-story tower on the corner of South Temple and West Temple.
"It will be very fun to start coming out of the ground," Kasteler said just minutes before the pour began.
When completed, City Creek Center will contain about 700 residential units.
The concrete on a high-rise building like the one in City Creek Center must be poured continuously, rather that in different stages, so that it has the strength to adequately support a large building.
That means that over a 15-hour period, about 850 truckloads of concrete are to be delivered to the site.
Although it is starting on the first residential building, the church has not yet released any information on floor plans or prices and is not yet taking reservations for any available units.

City Creek Center

* What it is: A 20-acre Salt Lake City project built on most of the two blocks between South Temple and 100 South from West Temple to State Street as well as across State Street in an area south of Social Hall Avenue. Includes a mix of office, retail and residential space.
* Completion date: 2012
* Cost: An estimated $1 billion
* Anchors: A two-story 124,000 square foot Nordstrom store and a three-story 150,000-square foot Macy's department store. Also included is a Harmons grocery store and about 500,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

The Big Pour

* Portions of South Temple from 200 West to Main Street and West Temple from North Temple to 100 South will be closed or have lane restrictions through 6 p.m. today to accommodate concrete work at the City Creek Center development.
* Light-rail service through downtown Salt Lake City will be unaffected.
Return to Top

The crew directs a nozzle pouring the concrete mixture Friday into the huge cage of reinforced steel that will form the foundation of the tower, part of the City Creek Center mega-project that aims to radically transform downtown Salt Lake City. (Scott Sommerdorf/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 3:05 PM

Downtown - CCC - Social Hall Avenue Portion by SLC Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I also took pics of the social hall parking garage. It is getting tall. 9-stories and counting. If I remember right the garage will be 11-stories tall.

Updated pics of social hall parking garage

Also I notice that while my wife and I were driving around downtown tonight South temple and west temple were closed off at CCC. There were about 10 or so cement trucks there and they look like they have already began puring the cement in the hole. Looks like crews will be up all night on this.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 1:16 PM

Downtown - City Creek Center - A lucky footing

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...262059,00.html

A horseshoe and a date in the wet concrete represent the completion of a 13-foot-deep slab of concrete forming the base of a 32-story residential tower as part of the City Creek Center...

Brian Nicholson, Deseret Morning News

Brian Nicholson, Deseret Morning News

Downtown - Yesterday Morning Updates of City Creek by T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Photos from this morning.

All Pics by T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Mar 16, 2008 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 3:46 PM

Salt Lake City's New MLS Stadium - Update - Under Construction

Salt Lake kicks off its 30-game regular season schedule at home on Saturday, March 29, against Chicago. Other season highlights include David Beckham's visit on May 3 and Real Madrid returning to Salt Lake City this year for an Aug. 9 exhibition game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

RSL will spend virtually the entire 2008 season playing at Rice-Eccles Stadium this year. Construction on the Sandy Stadium is about 60 percent complete, according to project manager Mike Steele, and the team is hopeful it can play two regular-season games in the new stadium in October.

If construction goes smoothly this spring and summer, those two games would be on Oct. 9 against New York and then Oct. 18 against FC Dallas.

Real Salt Lake's new stadium is about 60 percent complete. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News)

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News.

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News

The new stadium, shown here in a model, is scheduled to host two regular-season games in October. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Morning News.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 8:16 PM

Downtown - 300 West and 500 North - Future Home to New Condos.

by T-Mac

metaviews8

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:52 AM

222 South Main Update - By T-Mac

Quote:
Photos from this morning.

Quote:
I got a little bored this afternoon, so I decided to show the evolution of "THE HOLE"

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 2:02 PM

Downtown - Former Library, Planetarium To Become Future Flagship For Prestigious Jeweler - Under Renovation & Construction

Quote:
Some photos from this weekend by T-Mac.

OC Tanner Building on State Street

by T-Mac

Last edited by delts145; Mar 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 4:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Some more pics I forgot to post...

While taking pics of the CCC I also walked by the old Hansen Planetarium. The building will soon become a O.C. Tanner. But while I was there I went to the back of the building to see what was going on. Here is what I found.

Old Hansen Planetarium on State Street in downtown Salt Lake City.

I notice that crews have been tearing down the back half of the building where the theater used to be. I wounder if they needed that space for rear parking.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 12:08 AM

Theater advocates eye 8 to 10 spots for Broadway-size venue

If the Utah Theater proves too pricey for a Broadway rehab, other downtown locations are being bandied, including one in a plaza that insiders say could create a miniature Kennedy Center.
Among the far-from-funded prospects: a spot next to Abravanel Hall - in place of the current Salt Lake Art Center - or in the old Newspaper Agency Corp. space between Main and Regent streets.
Still, those options highlighted this morning's first roundtable of downtown theater advocates, hosted by capital Mayor Ralph Becker and his brother, Tony award-winning producer Bill Becker.
"A lot of things are at play at this point," said architect Prescott Muir, whose firm has been tapped to conduct a cultural-arts study. "We'll continue to try to identify the challenges."
Muir noted eight to 10 spots are being considered for a Broadway-class theater that must be "highly utilitarian" and flexible enough to house more than just plays.
Salt Lake Chamber President Lane Beattie suggested a condo tower should also be considered.
The meeting - after a brief discussion the mayor closed the session to news reporters - marked the first in a weekly series. Invited are business leaders, arts representatives, planners, chamber bosses and government liaisons.
Bill Becker makes his theater recommendation later this spring.
It also comes as Sandy makes its own play for a 2,800-seat, $50 million theater in the suburb. Orem-based developer Scott McQuarrie intends to unveil his playhouse plan before the Sandy City Council April 1.
But the suburb was snubbed last week in its effort to sign a high-profile operator to a management contract by March 13. Both Salt Lake City-based NewSpace Entertainment and New York-based Nederlander Producing Company of America declined to bid.
"We just decided not to," said Nederlander spokesman Jack Meyer, who would not say whether the decision is final.
NewSpace cited an impending Salt Lake County study - due out late this summer - that should determine the best spot for a mega-theater.
Plenty of obstacles also surround the downtown locations. Main Street's Utah Theater has logistical issues, while the NAC building has a depth problem. And the art center locale on the Abravanel plaza would require county approval.
Scott Beck, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, says a downtown playhouse would provide "another arrow in our quiver." Even so, the project has financial pitfalls that stakeholders have yet to publicly address.
Indeed, Bill Becker concedes a theater "rarely is the highest and best use for real estate," adding it is "entirely appropriate" for government to underwrite part of the cost.
How much could provide the drama before any curtain opens.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:49 AM

Low clouds settle in over Little Cottonwood Canyon, preparing to drop their legendary powder on Salt Lake City's Alta and Snowbird Resorts.

citydata.com

Last edited by delts145; Mar 19, 2008 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdave View Post
anyone know what this hole is for

It appears the guy on the left thinks its a bathroom JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
That is a utility vault.If you look you can see the communication conduits on the south wall, up high. Also if you look at pics of the demoliton on the two malls you will see spaces like these as well.

A utility vault is an underground room providing access to subterranean public utility equipment, such as valves for water or natural gas pipes, or switchgear for electrical or telecommunications equipment.

Utility vaults are commonly constructed out of reinforced concrete boxes, poured cement or brick. Small ones are usually entered through a manhole or grate on the topside. Such vaults are considered confined spaces and can be hazardous to enter. Large utility vaults are similar to mechanical or electrical rooms in design and content.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 11:36 AM

posting later

Last edited by delts145; Mar 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 7:10 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Photos of downtown and Airport by skyguy414

I thought these photos were really cool and I thought I would post them on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
Here are some pics I took flying over the airport yesterday. Most of the recent development at the airport was focused on the new access roads, which are complete now. There was also some new ramp construction done to the west of the terminals which has also been completed.

Who knows when the airport authority will get off their butts and build the new terminal. It is needed badly. The current airport terminal is way past capacity and there are no available gates.

Here is the airport master plan: http://www.slcairport.com/pdf/planni...ALP_Report.pdf

If you are familiar with the designs for the new terminal (whenever it gets built), you can easily see where the new concourses would be laid out.

There has also been a lot of discussion about the new cranes downtown, here are some aerial shots of that (might be hard to see them, they kinda blend in with the surroundings):

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 1:01 AM

Projects, Wow, I'm really liking these pics from our new forum buddy, Skyguy. It sounds like we're going to be getting alot more in the future too. Very cool !!

Also drove by the new stadium today. Hey, you have to admit, whether your a big soccer fan or not, "That is one beautiful piece of work." I'm am really impressed with the design and how it is looking in reality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations