HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 3:43 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Mike's Auto Glass should definitely sell and move, though. I don't see why they don't sell, and buy a nicer place in a busier area such as down on 13 in New Castle.

Also, I have to say that the River Tower is starting to muscle out the rest of our skyline. It's really turning into a powerful dynamic of the skyline, especially from 95 north.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 12:59 AM

Well, at least someone agrees with me about Mike's. But a good point was made... perhaps the money they're being offered isn't a fair price. I've heard second hand that the offer has been VERY generous, but that info could be wrong. If anybody knows for sure, let us know.

River Tower really is starting to take shape. I'm more curious actually to see what the parking garage looks like completed... work seems to have come to a standstill the past month or so.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 2:05 AM

Any picture updates? I feel like it's been forever since the last one!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 4:41 PM

Here some photos for you. Most of these were taken about 2 weeks ago.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 5:37 PM

Did you take that first picture from Rockford Tower with a high zoom-in? I like it.

The skyline looks great from the top of the building, like you showed. It will look even nicer when the Renaissance Center has a facade and is more than just a skeleton. You'll have to get another picture from there in 6 months or so. (Is there any way I could join you up there if you go back to take pictures from up top?)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 7:47 PM

The first photo was taken from the 1401 Condo building at Pennsylvania Avenue & Broom Streets. No zoom. I am sure we can make arrangments for you to see the view.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2301
The first photo was taken from the 1401 Condo building at Pennsylvania Avenue & Broom Streets. No zoom. I am sure we can make arrangments for you to see the view.
That would be nice to go up to the top of Christina Landing. I'd like to see this view in person.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 5:57 AM

Any new pics ? have they started puting the glass on the second tower????

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
Gainfully Employed

^The outter sheathing is at about the 10th floor, and the windows are at about the 8th or so. The finish panels are going on around the base of the parking garage and the River Tower. The concrete has be close to topping out.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 6:02 PM

Here are some recent photos.

Last edited by 2301; Dec 20, 2006 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 2:08 PM
Gainfully Employed

Looks like it's almost topped out. The steel for the mechanical penthouse is coming together. This one might be done by April.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:24 PM

Talking ShopRite to anchor shopping near Riverfront

ShopRite to anchor shopping near Riverfront
Buccini/Pollin to break ground next month at Howard Street site
By MAUREEN MILFORD, The News Journal

Posted Wednesday, December 13, 2006

An artist's rendering of the 125,000 square-foot center to be anchored by a ShopRite. The supermarket would employ about 70 full-time workers and open in 2008.

Buccini/Pollin Group

Aerial view of the development site, in the center of the photo, between Market Street on the left and Walnut Street on the right.

A major developer announced plans Tuesday to build a $25 million community shopping center in Wilmington on the south side of the Christina River, within walking distance of the newly built Christina Landing residential community.

A ShopRite supermarket will anchor the 125,000-square-foot center to be built by Buccini/Pollin Group Inc. on Howard Street, between South Market and South Walnut streets. The 80,000-square-foot supermarket will include a 7,000-square-foot pharmacy and drug store. The developer plans to break ground next month.

"It's going to completely change the character of that area, which has been industrial and junkyards," said Michael S. Purzcyki, executive director of the Riverfront Development Corp., which is selling 8.5 acres of land to Buccini/Pollin for the shopping center site. "All of a sudden you've got a big shot in the arm economically and visually."

When the supermarket opens in January 2008, it will be the first new grocery store in downtown Wilmington in more than 20 years. The market is expected to employ about 70 people full-time and about 140 people part-time.

Wilmington-based Buccini/Pollin is finalizing a 20-year lease with Delaware Supermarkets Inc. in Stanton, which owns three ShopRites in New Castle County.

Richard Kenny, co-owner and chief financial officer of Delaware Supermarkets, said his company, which is controlled by the Kenny family, considers the new store "a great opportunity." The company has been looking in the city for a supermarket location for about five years. Studies have shown that roughly half the food dollars spent by city residents are spent outside the city.

"Wilmington is an underserved area, so we're excited about it," Kenny said.

Delaware Supermarkets also plans to move its headquarters to the site in early 2008, said Dan Tanzer, director of administrative services with Delaware Supermarkets.

Robert E. Buccini, a partner with Buccini/Pollin, said he has been trying to land ShopRite for about six months. That lease was needed to make the shopping center viable. It's estimated the supermarket will bring 30,000 customers a week to the center.

Buccini/Pollin also had to negotiate with the Riverfront Development Corp. for the land. The corporation has been assembling the parcel for several years, Purzycki said. On Friday, Buccini signed an agreement to buy the land for $3.5 million, Purzycki said.

"This is really a milestone date in the history of the city of Wilmington," Buccini said. "I'm as happy about this than anything I've done in the city of Wilmington because we're bringing needed services to the community we're developing. This will just add to the momentum."

Buccini/Pollin is the developer of Christina Landing and Justison Landing residential projects on the Riverfront, which total about 1,300 condominiums, town houses and apartments.

"It's critically important for people who want to live there to have services," Purzycki said. "Otherwise, it's way too much of a hike. You have to go all the way out [U.S.] 13 or up [U.S.] 202."

Buccini said other possible tenants for the shopping center include a bank, coffee shop, restaurant, apparel stores, a salon and a fitness center.

Plans call for Howard Street to be realigned to the south of the shopping center site.

John Rago, city communications director, said the city also is committed to sewer improvements and traffic lights.

"Everybody wants one sweeping project to change everything -- all the negatives that we face, just get them out of the way," said Mayor James M. Baker. "But it takes all these little things to make it happen."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:47 PM
Gainfully Employed

^The initial rendering looks pretty good. I'd like to see the whole site plan. I was hoping they'd integrate B and C streets into this site though. That seems like it would leave open the possibility of extended the grid from over in Southbridge.

Last edited by mglan80; Dec 21, 2006 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:18 PM

More photos. The metal exterior is being installed on the parking garage.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 4:54 PM

Nice pictures again.

I don't like that metal covering.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 10:12 PM

Hard to tell how the garage is going to turn out. Right now it looks strange, but may look ok when finished.

Regardless, it will be nice to get that garage open and get the mess of cars parked in front of the apt building moved.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:59 PM

Coffee bar going into the ground level of CL Apt Tower, opening in April. Saw rendering, looks nice, kinda like Toscana.

Parking garage about done... looks good at night all lit up IMO.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 9:51 PM

it would be cool to see the christiana river lined up with condos and townhomes all the way to 7th street and all the way down to fantasia or the gold club whatever its called wilmington skyline would look rather unique, i liked how Kansas City, Mo skyline looked

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
Proud Wilmingtonian

Construction on the River Tower is still moving along but fairly slow compared to Justison Landing across the river. The tower has been topped out and is completely closed in (except for the construction elevator). Windows and balcony doors are all in and other exterior components are going up (slowly).

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 3:41 PM

I take it they've been finished for quite a while now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive