HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:03 PM

Wondering aloud if that GIC came out with reco to let Mac go ahead with their project by releasing lands.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:12 PM

^ It did, but as part of the motion the documents are to remain private (because this is Hamilton any everything MUST be secret)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
^ It did, but as part of the motion the documents are to remain private (because this is Hamilton any everything MUST be secret)
I mean, right now it kind of makes sense. NIMBYs with too much time on their hands grab the documents and attack literally every single word, until it either gets delayed intl cancellation, or cancelled altogether from the get-go.

The only way to move forward the city is to hide this stuff until it's already happening. Which sucks for those of us that would like to make meaningful feedback that's not "why are you ruining the city". But there aren't many advocates out at public meetings, usually complainers ,NIMBYs and people who don't understand why this benefits them in any way, even though it's not hurting them outside construction.

In Burlington, one of the biggest complaints is the congestion due to construction. "You shouldn't build this because there will be noise and construction traffic nearby the construction." Like yea bud, do you have any useful comments to make?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, hope this moves ahead regardless of LRT

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:11 PM

Has there been any movement on this? I am curious what the timeline for this build is, considering McMaster usually likes to do one thing at a time due to budget constraints. I am also curious what McMaster plans to do with all this space for graduates, considering the students are making due right now. I wonder if existing rentals for students will vacate and maybe help non-students afford or find rentals in the city.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:13 PM

https://educationnewscanada.com/arti...-residence.htm

Great news and a kick butt block, especially if Vrancor does a phase 2 of 20/22 George

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post

Great news and a kick butt block, especially if Vrancor does a phase 2 of 20/22 George
This is going to be such a great addition for downtown Hamilton. The William Thomas building and this, plus students moving downtown for shopping and bars and restaurants, there will be thousands of students a month in downtown. McMaster may end up being a massive reason Hamilton's renaissance along with LRT.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:36 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
This is going to be such a great addition for downtown Hamilton. The William Thomas building and this, plus students moving downtown for shopping and bars and restaurants, there will be thousands of students a month in downtown. McMaster may end up being a massive reason Hamilton's renaissance along with LRT.
So we're going to become guelph? Just a university town?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
So we're going to become guelph? Just a university town?
I don't think we will, if we were going to be, we would be that already. But the influence of McMaster is pretty obvious, there has to be at least 30 asian restaurants downtown.

I think they will be a good addition to the people that are coming in the new condo towers, and further, over 60% of McMaster grads say they would consider staying in Hamilton, which means more educated people wanting jobs, which hopefully means that one day the province will get its head out of its ass and start pumping money into Hamilton and helping employers locate here instead of the hyper-concentration of employment in Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 4:47 PM
Hamilton Historian

Well people are starting to move here from toronto already, so I think toronto has reached a saturation point - so it would be nice to see those educated in hamilton then find jobs IN hamilton, and not just live in hamilton and commute to toronto.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
so it would be nice to see those educated in hamilton then find jobs IN hamilton, and not just live in hamilton and commute to toronto
Outside of healthcare & some financial/insurance industries those jobs don't really exist in Hamilton.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 8:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Outside of healthcare & some financial/insurance industries those jobs don't really exist in Hamilton.
Well maybe those people will bring new types of jobs into hamilton. Invent new ones. After all everything has to start at some point.

That or maybe toronto businesses will start moving to hamilton because of cheaper rates. It's already starting to happen.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post

"Moving ahead" is good to hear but I don't see any mention of a timeline. Anyone got insight regarding where they're at in the approvals process/ potential groundbreaking dates?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:23 PM

Not sure if this was said earlier, but the developer is apparently Knightstone. They have a branch dedicated to academic residences:

http://www.k-cap.com/academic-residences/

**Which is the same developer that is slated to develop the planned student residence beside the main campus as well.

Last edited by TheRitsman; Dec 20, 2018 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:00 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Is there a render yet?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:26 PM

I'll bring back the render from the first page of the thread

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:11 PM

love it, but man that parking garage...really?? Why not a 2nd building with a parking garage at the bottom? And do we even need a parking garage here? The entire underground of Jackson SQ and AGH/Convention Centre is parking.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
love it, but man that parking garage...really?? Why not a 2nd building with a parking garage at the bottom? And do we even need a parking garage here? The entire underground of Jackson SQ and AGH/Convention Centre is parking.
Waiting lists for parking downtown exceed over 6 months for municipal lots(Convention Centre, City Hall and York Parkade included) and over 90 days for private lots. There is a lack of parking even before this student residence comes online. So the parking included as part of this development is required.

Not to mention that this development is eliminating the existing on site City Parking which the City leased from BAYKING motors going way back. Also eliminated is the surface lot recently sold on Hunter and Catharine. More surface lots downtown are to be sold in the future, so parking garages will have to be built. In my opinion it is a smarter use of land to build parking garages which can house the same amount of cars as say 5 surface lots. Time to get rid of the massive surface parking lot blocks we have, this site included.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:44 PM

Definitely agree it’s needed, but it could be done better. Like mentioned include it in the bottom of a tower, underground, or at least make the ground floor retail facing then street

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 7:26 PM

yea I'll take parking garages all day over surface lots, but surely they can be part of a mixed-use project....street retail, upper floor condos/offices/hotel etc.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton